Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

where does theta_2 come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG1995

Hi

Could you please help me with the query included in the attachment? Thanks a lot.

Regards
PG

Your question isn't very clear. What exactly is the problem? The red segment is a reactance and the green segment is resistance. Where the two segments meet, there is an angle--θ2.

Hi DerStrom8

Thanks for the reply. I have updated my question to make it clearer. Please have a look. And I had it wrong; it was Phi not Theta.

Regards
PG

In an impedance diagram (in phasor form) of resistance/reactance, inductive reactance is shown as a positive angle, capacitive reactance is a negative angle, and resistance is a straight line along the origin. The green segment, I believe, is representing a resistance (hence the 'R' in I1Re). I may be wrong, but I believe that's how this problem is set up.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply.

I don't know if what you say is correct or not; I'm still not able to grasp that what leads the author to conclude that the I1X1 makes an angle equal to phi_2.

Regards
PG

All to do with properties of triangles rather than electrical engineering.

Look at my re-hashed version of your diagram.

There is always 180 degrees in a triangle.

Consider the trangle ADC, if angle CAD is Phi2 and angle ADC is a right angle, then angle ACD is (90 - Phi2).

Now consider the triangle ABC, if angle ACB is a right angle (90deg), we already know that angle ACD is (90 - Phi2), then angle BCD must be (90 - (0 - Phi2)) which is equal to Phi2.

JimB

Last edited:
All to do with properties of triangles rather than electrical engineering.

Look at my re-hashed version of your diagram.

There is always 180 degrees in a triangle.

Consider the trangle ADC, if angle CAD is Phi2 and angle ADC is a right angle, then angle ACD is (90 - Phi2).

Now consider the triangle ABC, if angle ACB is a right angle (90deg), we already know that angle ACD is (90 - Phi2), then angle BCD must be (90 - (0 - Phi2)) which is equal to Phi2.

JimB

Apparently I still couldn't understand the question :p:D

Thanks a lot, Jim. And DerStrom thanks to you too for being there. Perhaps, I didn't think of the problem in terms of geometry of triangles rather I was too preoccupied with reactance, impedance etc. and that's why didn't phrased the question correctly.

Regards
PG

PG,

There is a common well known theorem in plane geometry, which states that if two sides of an angle are perpendicular to two sides of another angle, left side to left side and right side to right side, then the two angles are equal. If they are perpendicular left side to right side and right side to left side, then the angles are supplementary.

Ratch

Last edited:
voltage regulation of transformer

Hi

Could you please help me with the query included in the attachment? Thanks a lot.

Regards
PG

Ze is an impedance, made up of a resistance and a reactance. We'll start with the first part: Ze cos(θe - θ2) (the 'e's and '2' are subscript, by the way). There is a rule in trigonometry that says cos (x - y) is equal to ((cos x * cos y) + (sin x * sin y)). Therefore, Ze cos(θe - θ2) is equal to Ze (cos θe * cos θ2 + sin θe * sin θ2). When you split up the impedance, and think of sin and cos on a real-imaginary plane (where x is real and 'y' is imaginary (j)), the cos corresponds to the real value, and sin corresponds to j. Since resistance is real and reactance is imaginary, you'll end up with (Re cos θ2 + Xe sin θ2).

Do you follow? I realize that's probably pretty hard to read. I think if you read through it a few times though, you might get the gist of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back