Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

waterfall printer

Status
Not open for further replies.
FPGA's are the swiss army knife of electronics, no need for them whatsoever in a project like this, the timing can easily be handled by a micro controller.

I suggest you double check with the manufacturer before you purchase 25 of them.
By the way are these expensive?

Mike

i emailed the manufacturer asking but they just replied how many and company name. the person i got it from said he got it for $3. i emailed another company and they told me someone order 200 of these for this project (**broken link removed**).

Kagan

gravity fed

I was at the Celine concert at the Colosseum in Vegas last nite and they have a large cylindrical based aquagraphics unit for Celine to stand within while she does the Titanic theme. Interestingly they use a floor grid to allow the water to fall through so no splashing occurs.

From what I can tell it's all gravity fed. Any kind of pressure would require a faster solenoid switching action. Based on the display which had only wavy water patterns and no true graphix, it's possible that a rotating slotted deflector governs the falling patterns. They used light projection on the water curtain to generate the imagery.

On the matter of the solenoid drives , the ULN darlington series is barely adequate to drive the 500mA loads. Some heatsinking and fans will be required to make those work. I figure it's better to use some dual logic nfets like the fairchild FDC 64XX series. Just use a flywheel diode.

I was at the Celine concert at the Colosseum in Vegas last nite and they have a large cylindrical based aquagraphics unit for Celine to stand within while she does the Titanic theme. Interestingly they use a floor grid to allow the water to fall through so no splashing occurs.

It takes a brave person to admit liking Celine Dion. ;)

From what I can tell it's all gravity fed. Any kind of pressure would require a faster solenoid switching action. Based on the display which had only wavy water patterns and no true graphix, it's possible that a rotating slotted deflector governs the falling patterns. They used light projection on the water curtain to generate the imagery.

Interesting; I wonder if there is any video of this in action...?

On the matter of the solenoid drives , the ULN darlington series is barely adequate to drive the 500mA loads. Some heatsinking and fans will be required to make those work. I figure it's better to use some dual logic nfets like the fairchild FDC 64XX series. Just use a flywheel diode.

I'd think you would want to switch the solenoids (or whatever) using mosfets...

Hi Dear:)
Interesting discussion...I have almost completed the graphical waterfall project.. you can check the testing videos and detail of the project in my following blog:
My Woodwork

i will also post the details if required.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 394
  • 40 solenoid valve PCB.jpg
    40 solenoid valve PCB.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 315
  • controller1.jpg
    controller1.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 331
  • graphical waterfall software updates.jpg
    graphical waterfall software updates.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 673
  • pipe2.jpg
    pipe2.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 298
  • PCB 40 solenoid valves.jpg
    PCB 40 solenoid valves.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 422
  • solen.jpg
    solen.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 281
  • pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 284
Last edited by a moderator:
I just love one line questions and answers (not), they can go on for days, weeks, months, and we still dont know the answers.

Pete.

My Little Progress

About two months ago i saw a video on youtube 'Japanese Waterfall' and was amazed to see stunning water graphical effects... I flabbergasted just like you all... I decided to work on it and meditated what the Japanese did on this fountain.... I have found no information what is working behind... I came to know that:
1- I need a Graphical design software that can produce bits from pixels i.e. graphical images to binary images
2- A Microcontroller that can get the coomands from the computer and send to 100's of solenoid valves to create those stunning effects.
3- Mechanical hardware i.e. pump,pipes, sump, water Header etc
4- A simulator 40 LEDs mimcking 40 solenoid valves.
5- Brain to do all above, frankly, that is scarce here ;)

Almost all work is completed and today i am installing the header and solenoids on the wall of my drawing room
I came across many challenges i.e. solenoid valves response timing, water drop shapes etc...and still experimenting to increase the solenoids response by injecting high current for a short time period;)

I am a Mechanical Engineer and nothing to do with electronics and programming.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 333
  • PCB 40 solenoid valves.jpg
    PCB 40 solenoid valves.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 467
  • 40 solenoid valve PCB.jpg
    40 solenoid valve PCB.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 330
Hi Kagan these are 24VDC 260mAmp solenoid valves i purchased from scrap yard for 0.60US dollar each.
Regards
Khalid

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 321
  • controller1.jpg
    controller1.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 303
  • controller2.jpg
    controller2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:
At last i completed the wiring of Solenoids and made an RC circuit. The resistance is 47RJ 5Watt and the capacitors i used are 50V 100mFarad.

Still long way to go, installation of tubing etc.
**broken link removed**
and sump from galvanized sheets and is tested water proof
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

I dont see any reverse diodes across your drivers to the solenoids and high switching frequencys of the coils will generate some huge emf that could blow your drivers up, pitty to see all that nice work go up in smoke for the lack of a few diodes.

You could solder the diodes to the bottom of the board across the driver pins.

Wish you good luck with the project and look forward to seeing a utube video of the working result.

Pete.

I dont see any reverse diodes across your drivers to the solenoids and high switching frequencys of the coils will generate some huge emf that could blow your drivers up, pitty to see all that nice work go up in smoke for the lack of a few diodes.

You could solder the diodes to the bottom of the board across the driver pins.

Wish you good luck with the project and look forward to seeing a utube video of the working result.

Pete.

Hi Pete,
I had soldered IN4007 across the Solenoid directly and not on the board.. But, after testing a single solenoid without diode for hours my 74HC595 and micro-controller survived...The Question is why i tested and took the risk without using Protection Diode?

Actually installing Diode across the Solenoid cause a time lag in closing of the solenoid and i was not getting the good response time from the Solenoid... Do you believe i removed all the diodes from 40 solenoid valves yesterday (based on the experimentation)...

If in case i have failed IRF540, i would not damage the complete board and the micro-controller. Only i have to replace all IRF540 with IRF840...
In the coming weekend i will be able to post a video of working fountain..I don't know whether the results will beyond my expectations but i think i would have a good waterfall in my Room irrespective the display is graphical or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back