Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

valid signal on pic ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

kutalinelucas

hi. i'd really appriciate some help

what would be the easiest way of ramping up a 3v signal to 5v to be a valid high logic state to input to a pic controller?
i have 6 input signals which pulse high periodically at 3v (from it's own power supply) and i would like these to register on the pic pins. Im new to electronics and i've just had a quick gander at op-amps, seems pretty tricky, or are they relativly straight forward? or is it not the way to do it
thanks for looking

no, im just trying to design the pcb now, i need to get the board printed on tuesday and either my pic programmer or chip has just started playing up so i cant really give it a go. so you think it'll be ok?

PIC controllers that run on 5V generally have two types on input.

TTL level and Schmit Trigger inputs (TTL and ST)

You can find the type in the I/O port section of hte data sheet.

A high input on a TTL input should be at least 2 V. A high input on a Schmit Trigger should be at least 0.8 x supply, which is 4 V with a 5 V supply. So it would be best to connect the 3 V signals to TTL input ports, but as Nigel says, it might work anyhow on the Schmit Trigger inputs.

It would certainly work if you reduce the PIC supply voltage a bit.

You can see the specified figures and typical values in the "Electrical Specifications" and "DC and AC Characteristics Graphs and tables" sections of the data sheets.

brilliant, i'll just stick to a&b for the inputs then
superb.
If i could just ask one more question i should be set for a bit.

would 3 aa batteries be ok to supply 2 pics (on the same pcb be preforming different functions), an lcd display and a 3v device if i put in a voltage divider? again i would try it but i think my pic's given up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back