Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Some Advice please on older boards

NoobyMarty

I won some older pic stuff on ebay, its not here so not 100% sure whats in it.
However I do know it has a ICD3 and a pickit 3 and 4, there is also a very old pic8 explorer board. I downloaded MPLABX and XC8 (no code experience), but looking at the compatibility chart I dont think the ICD3 or the boards are going to work with the latest IDE/Compiler.

Any advice on whether I should download a older version (if so which one??) OR.........suffer the loss and upgrade.
Sorry for NOOB questions, im reading the compiler docs etc but kinda need pointing in the right direction for messing with older stuff.

Many Thanks
Marty

Thanks guys! So for a quick update...I have PK4 working with the 18f45k20 44 pin demo board, turns out this muppet didnt know the pk4 dosnt supply power! [red face], powered it up and bingo, odly enough I also think the other tools are working but staying with pk4 for now.
Not got a led blinking yet but slowly progressing through different compiler notes and data sheets etc etc (no I have never read a electronics data sheet before!), Turns out they write them in something that has words similar to english ones, but mostly its double dutch :joyful:.

Kind of enjoying the pain lol, also soldered today!!

In other news...I have no idea if I should laugh or cry, I started up the oscilloscope and it wont get past the start screen!! Really not happy but if the seller is reasonable it can go back!

Regards
Marty

WOW!
So discovered microchip code configurator thing argues with me. It changes stuff I dont want to change, honestly I have been reading the pic data sheet and getting a bit confused. I was about to start again when I decided to look at the MCC generated files.....That code config thing might be utter rubbish BUT, man is it useful for learning xc8 syntax!!

Now the data sheets make a bit more sense, still no led flashing, and NO i still dont want help yet
(noobs always want it done for them and im determined to do as much myself as I can).

The information and advice is greatly received, turns out one of the usb cables is a bit iffy! Anyway thanks again guys

Marty

Thanks guys! So for a quick update...I have PK4 working with the 18f45k20 44 pin demo board, turns out this muppet didnt know the pk4 dosnt supply power! [red face], powered it up and bingo, odly enough I also think the other tools are working but staying with pk4 for now.
Not got a led blinking yet but slowly progressing through different compiler notes and data sheets etc etc (no I have never read a electronics data sheet before!), Turns out they write them in something that has words similar to english ones, but mostly its double dutch :joyful:.

Kind of enjoying the pain lol, also soldered today!!

In other news...I have no idea if I should laugh or cry, I started up the oscilloscope and it wont get past the start screen!! Really not happy but if the seller is reasonable it can go back!

Regards
Marty

It does supply power, BUT (as with all the PK's) you have to tell MPLABX to supply power, and what voltage you want.

The MCC is great for configuring PIC's, basically because many modern ones have so many options - it's difficult to even get the clock set correctly, but the MCC makes it easy.

Well I have the led of my choice lit!!

I need to look at the MCC closer, but to be honest seeing as i'm using a old chip, it gives me the chance to learn data sheets and registers etc.

Ive looked looked in mlabx for a power option but cant find it anywhere???

Regards
Marty

Latest threads

Back