Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Utterly massive SCRs. (They can turn on/off city's !!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

()blivion

So, on a trip to the scrap yard to pick up some steal for my wood stove project, I spotted out of the corner of my eye some things that were quite interesting. . .

1227022334.jpg1227022336.jpg1227022338a.jpg

I don't know much about the specs, as the part number turned up nothing in Google. But judging from the length of the ceramic insulator, I would say these things were meant to deal with at least a thousand volts, probably more. And more than a few hundred amps. If the part number is any indicator... 1100 volts and 700 Amps or so? No clue honestly, but one thing is certain . . .

Big, very very big. They are like 5+ pounds each.

Unless you own an electric powered battle ship, power plant, industrial motor the size of a house, or small city... you probably can't use these units to their full potential. I sure can't, so I'm selling or trading them. From a hobbyist perspective, they are more collectible than usable IMO. But hey, maybe you want to research hot fusion or energy weapons on a budget or something?

In any case, I have two. They are tested and working at 12v up to a few amps. I don't know exactly why the equipment these came from was in the scrap yard, but I suspect the electronics being broken was not the reason. If I had a multy-hundred thousand watt load to test these with I would... maybe. Then again, I don't really want to die either should things go wrong.

If anyone not really interested in owning these knows the actual value or specs, I would sure like to know. They should easily be $200+ parts new judging from DigiKeys SCR line up. But as of now I'm asking $20 for each + S&H. I'm also willing to accept trades, but really only for something of greater than $20 value, and only if you're local to WA state. (Say $50+ value). I will refund if they don't at least work up to 300V at 100A and it doesn't cost me anything. All such bartering decisions are at my discretion of course.

I would give most of what I own away for a decent working O-scope. :)

Last edited:
I would give most of what I own away for a decent working O-scope.

HMMM! Well what do you own or whats your life worth? :eek:
I have several Tektronics scopes that need a good home and I really need a slave:p.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/tektronix-2213a-2215-2225-oscilloscopes-for-sale.115833/

BTW I see your 1100 volt 700 amp SCR's and raise you some 2400 volt 1800 amp Hockey puck units, roughly 1.25" high by 4" diameter! (About a 2 gallon pails worth and I have about that much more in ones very similar to yours some smaller and some slightly larger)_:p Scrap yard finds as well from massive power conditioners and massive industrial inverters.

Near zero resell value but still good conversation pieces for the shelf.;)

Last edited:
Huge power electronics are a white elephant. So big they're nearly indestructible in hobby use, but the physical size makes them unpractical. I have a few IGBTs like my avatar, 3300V, 2400A. It's a single device in a 4"x8" package. Once you put 4 IGBTs + heatsinks and busbars together its the size of a suitcase.

Here's what it looks like on the inside:
https://i.imgur.com/gAXPd.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/8sOBX.jpg

Old power electronics make nice decorations for the cubical. I have a 4kA current transducer that I use for a pen/pencil holder and a 3" GTO hockey puck that i use for a coaster. Should rig up a powersupply to it and use it as a mug warmer.

tcmtech said:
I have several Tektronics scopes that need a good home and I really need a slave.

Called me on my bluff honestly :p

You have some good prices. I really thought about taking you up on one of the cheaper ones. Sadly, it's the hobby me that needs the scope. He really would give up everything for one. But the me that likes to eat and have electricity for another day can kick the crap out of hobby me. Hobby me doesn't like getting beat up, so he's probably going to have to give up on getting a scope any time soon.

tcmtech said:
Near zero resell value but still good conversation pieces for the shelf.
jrz126 said:
Huge power electronics are a white elephant. So big they're nearly indestructible in hobby use, but the physical size makes them unpractical.

Dang things are pretty useless to me. I was hoping to make a buck or two if I can. Otherwise I'm probably going to throw them out.

Can't eat them, and I don't collect electronics.
-()b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back