Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB Diverter

Status
Not open for further replies.
MrAl Thanks. I think I understand what you did. I was specifically confused about how you changed the traces on the PCB but I now I understand.

I bought the 4PDt switch today. And although it is not as sturdy as I was hoping for I hope it will work. I will post my progress here soon.

Thanks everyone.

MrAl Thanks. I think I understand what you did. I was specifically confused about how you changed the traces on the PCB but I now I understand.

I bought the 4PDt switch today. And although it is not as sturdy as I was hoping for I hope it will work. I will post my progress here soon.

Thanks everyone.

Hi again,

Here is a clear picture of what was done. The box was bought because it had to be bigger than the original USB hub box.
The switches and board are mounted on an aluminum L bracket.

Attachments

• USB_SwitchQuadModded-1.jpg
    USB_SwitchQuadModded-1.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 124
MrAl thanks for the photo. It's much clearer now.

So I bought the switches. But it is 3PDT switch. So I guess I will have to make the ground common. Is there anything that I should keep in mind? The circuit will be the same, right?

Thanks.

MrAl thanks for the photo. It's much clearer now.

So I bought the switches. But it is 3PDT switch. So I guess I will have to make the ground common. Is there anything that I should keep in mind? The circuit will be the same, right?

Thanks.

Hi,

Actually, YES. Make SURE the two or three devices that are to be plugged in can have a common ground. This is very important.

Connect the two grounds with a 10k resistor, measure the voltage across the resistor, should be 1vac or less really, although a little higher might be ok too.

MrAl I don't think I understand. can you please show it with a diagram.

Thanks.

GROUND 1 o--------10k-------o GROUND 2

then measure the voltage across that 10k resistor with an AC meter, digital type meter with high input impedance.
So, red lead on ground 2, black lead on ground 1, set to AC voltage say 200v ac range if you have 120vac lines.

MrAl I have no idea what you want me to do.

How does this circuit look?

Attachments

• Final circuit.JPG
    Final circuit.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Hi,

I dont think it could be any more clear.
Do you have a 10k resistor?

But your diagram, the switch is not labeled as to what terminals are which. You have to label them as to what terminals are what poles, etc., if you want it to be checked.

Last edited:
Sorry, guys for the delay. I had to go for my Visa interview and I just returned.

MrAl Does this circuit make any sense?

Attachments

• Final Circuit 1.2.JPG
    Final Circuit 1.2.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 113
Hello,

Very good. I just added the way the switch actually switches to make it clear.
Red is when the switch is flipped one way, Green is for when the switch is flipped the other way.

Attachments

• FinalCircuit-2.jpg
    FinalCircuit-2.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 115
Hi,

Yes, as long as you have it wired as the drawing i posted. You have to show the internal switch arrangements when you draw a multiple pole switch.

Good luck, and yes keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back