Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transistor equivalent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am curious now, do I able to make dual-rail supply amp? I said despite I not have much money but I will spend money for sound quality. Usually one times for several years I have a big project so I won't afraid so much about spending.

Don't worry!

Yes, build dual rail amp- it would be far better than single rail, but only spend money were essential, and then do it in stages. Like I say, one bridge at a time. You can't build a house until the foundations are designed and laid. Just to say again, case, heatsinks, PSU first. They are the amp foundations :arghh:

Last edited:
...Zero distortion: Mine qualifies. The amp does not have a power limiter...

Leach Amplifier Output Current Protection Components

Positive

R39, C19, R37, D9, C17, R30, D5, C17, R28, Q10, D7, Q8

Negative

R40, C20, R38, D10, C18, R31, D6, C18, R29, Q11, D8, Q9

Very sophisticated and will allow plenty output current :cool:

ETO_Leach_audio_amp_approved by KISS.png

Last edited:
ZNR's: **broken link removed**
Thks

UPDATE
Just realised what they are: Transorbs. Yes know them well. They are a Transient Voltage Supressor (TVS).

Klipstein's Laws of General Engineering and Production:

Any wire cut to length will be too short.
A fail-safe circuit will destroy others.
A transistor protected by a fast-acting fuse will protect the fuse by blowing first.
A failure will not appear until a unit has passed final inspection.
After an access cover has been secured by sixteen hold-down screws, it will be discovered that the gasket has been omitted.
After an instrument has been assembled, extra components will be found on the bench.

(some of) The Recommended Practices Committee of the International Society of Philosophical Engineer's Universal Laws for Naive Engineers:

Any device requiring service or adjustment will be least accessible.
Interchangeable parts won't.
Manufacturer's specifications of performance should be multiplied by a factor of 0.5.
Salespeople's claims for performance should be multiplied by a factor of 0.25.

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Last edited:
This is again where the case and power supply eat up the costs quickly. Let's just say you picked this http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/LNR1K103MSE/493-7694-ND capacitor.

Some choices are: Do you want two independent dual supplies or one single one. Custom transformer or two separate ones.
For a double dual supply/case might have:
2 rectifier bridges + mounting hardware and heat sink compound
4 capacitors ; That 4 * $20.00 USD and brackets
1 line fuse - holder
1 power cord
Some options are IEC cord with a lock
You can integrate with a power entry module
4 x 1 fuse per power supply rail and holders (probably chassis mount)
2 isolated RCA phono inputs
Speaker connectors: Binding posts, speak-on connectors, push in for wire leads.

1 Case + an internal chassis
If you create a frame internally, then the amp becomes stand-alone when you take the covers off.
I made the choice of adding an extension cable to work on the amp outside of the case.

Speaker protection kit - e.g. **broken link removed**
amd/or AGX fuses.

Possibly a power LED, an over-temp LED, a protect LED and a right and left clipping indicator.

Power switch: The rear one can be a safety on/off. You can use a AC control input from the preamp. A possible way to bypass this. i.e. A locking toggle switch on the back. You can use a smaller toggle switch on the front that doesn;t switch the mains directly. DC switching has become popular in automation systems.

Possible switched and non-switched outlets for other components.

Surge suppression for mains and ZNR's across caps.

Thermal switches on heat sinks.

Either optoisolators or relays to cut the input sound or a version of my fancy one that ramps up the sound. I made the optos part of the case essentially.

headphone jack - I'd recommend trying to do it in a way that inserting the headphone reduces the gain of the amplifier. The resistor in series with the output doesn;t work well. Omitting is just as good. This is why you might want to power off the amp from the front.

You may need a small "always on" power supply.

A relay or triac for the power if needed.

Slow turn on circuit required for high power amps with a linear power supply. e.g. **broken link removed** I don't like the data sheet.

As a dumb example 1 or two transformers: **broken link removed**

Clipping indicator circuit (optional).

bar graph displays for power into 8 ohms (optional)

Auto-brigtness controls for the LED indicators (optional)

This **broken link removed** sort of explains some of the stuff in a nutshell.

SMPS power supply vs transformers: http://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2011/02/26/resonant-smps-for-audio/
**broken link removed**

Bridging module and support (optional): Turns amplifier into a mono bridged amplifier with double the voltage output. Speaker connected between the two positive terminals. Current may have to support bridgeing.

All of this stuff has to fit in an appropriately sized case.

It get's expensive "real quick" and no amp yet.

No power limiter in my version. I did use the alternate feedback network. fc=~50 kHz. It used 3 diodes in series, not 4 for thermal compensation. Three is easier to mount.

I wish that Velleman and other amplifier manufacturers would stop calling their 70 watts amplifier rating as 200 Whats!

Thanks for your carefully, it isn't the first time I made an amplifier, I have made LA4440 amp with TDA2003 BTL subwoofer in my summer holiday. This amp pretty complete. The case made from wood. It sound better than many high grade computer speakers but sound not loud enough to fill my living room in holidays.

Keep,

The case I have in mind comprises two bits of wood and three bits of ally- not much more

Last edited:
For the foundations, now I have some components:
- Power cord 2.5A with fuse inside (it is a power cable for laptop charger)
- Several dual RCA jacks (pretty old because it was bought when my father young)
- Headphone jack
- Dual spring wire terminal for outputs of satellite amp, single ones for subwoofer
- Wood, aluminium always available in large amounts.
- Some 250V-6A switchs.
Other big components like bridge rectifier, filter caps, binding post... can be bought easily (not hard like transistor or film caps...)
I will try to find toroidal core from some machines, but I hope it may be in a coil-rotation AC volt stabilizer.

Last edited:
For the foundations, now I have some components:
- Power cord 2.5A with fuse inside (it is a power cable for laptop charger)
- Several dual RCA jacks (pretty old because it was bought when my father young)
- Headphone jack
- Dual spring wire terminal for outputs of satellite amp, single ones for subwoofer
- Wood, aluminium always available in large amounts.
- Some 250V-6A switchs.
Other big components like bridge rectifier, filter caps, binding post... can be bought easily (not hard like transistor or film caps...)
I will try to find toroidal core from some machines, but I hope it may be in a coil-rotation AC volt stabilizer.

Now we are getting somewhare :cool::cool::cool:

Afraid old RCA jacks are not good enough for your amp- gold plated required
Dual spring terminals OK but not good. Gold plated binding posts required
Power cord not big enough. Use from washing machine electric fire etc around 10A upwards.
If you can get a toroid that would be excellent.
Ally and wood freely available- excellent.

I recon your case should be around 11 inches wide and 12 inches deep (not including heatsink fins) height enough for maximum height components, probably 4.5 inches.

When can you post picture of finished case and PSU :p

Last edited:
Well, I forgot your drawing, spec. The draw very look nice but I fell it has some problem:
- heatsink use as back panel. How can I attach spring wire terminals, RCA jack, headphone jack....?
- no space for subwoofer circuit?

Well, I forgot your drawing, spec. The draw very look nice but I fell it has some problem:
- heatsink use as back panel. How can I attach spring wire terminals, RCA jack, headphone jack....?

On back panel in centre. Will detail drawing further to show all

- no space for subwoofer circuit?

Two options.

Make case wider to take sub amp if that is the way you want to go or make separate sub amp case.

What voltage reservoir caps are you getting?

It too late but merry christmas to anyones (my bad brain didn't remember to say that on 24-12):p.
Wow, I am too stupid :banghead:, I can mount all back-components easily on the heatsink with no wings in the center.
I want integrate subwoofer board in the case because I hate clumsy amp that will not fit my cabinet under the TV and make taking it away more difficult (my backpack might can carry a speaker box with amp)
I am not buy caps or bridge diode yet but caps are available in 10000uF-63V (22000VND) and 10000uF-100V (38000VND). 4700uF-35V (10000VND)
NOTICE: My plan is design all circuits, case, heatsink... now, then I will start to make they in the next year summer. From this time to before July of 2016, I have to learn so much prepare for the exam to senior high school so I don't have time to buy and make anything, just design and learn from you on my break. Sorry for my odd plan.:troll:

It too late but merry christmas to anyones (my bad brain didn't remember to say that on 24-12):p.

Happy Xmas to you Nikolai

My son bought me a solid-state disk drive for Xmas and spent all day fitting it, upgading to Wndows 10, and upgrading all the software, so now I have to learn all over again.

.... caps are available in 10000uF-63V (22000VND) and 10000uF-100V (38000VND). 4700uF-35V (10000VND)

OK, 10,000 uF @63V are best value. You will need two minimum Can you give size? Can you get around 2,000uF at 42V or over for a good price. You will need 6 (2 for each amp).

[QUOTE="Nikolai Petrenko, post: 1243950, member: 258988"NOTICE: My plan is design all circuits, case, heatsink... now, then I will start to make they in the next year summer. From this time to before July of 2016, I have to learn so much prepare for the exam to senior high school so I don't have time to buy and make anything, just design and learn from you on my break. Sorry for my odd plan.:troll:

Not odd plan, wise move yes! Education and passing exams are the foundations of your future career. Work as hard as you can and get good grades- don't be like me!

Transformer

The transformer is now the critical item. Its size will dictate the size of the case so the transformer really needs to be defined.

Meantime, I will design a complete amplifier: case, PSU, and amps to give you a fine and powerful sound.

Last edited:
Don't you mean "downgrading" :( :banghead: to Win 10? :)

There seems to be a lot of inuendo and fear about Win10, I was the same but, apart from a few feely touchy, lovey bits, and images of strolling wilderbeist, which I am gradually eliminating, it is fine. It is just an operating system and the applications- Office, Adobie Suite etc- apart from being new, are just as before. Mind you, it was all installed by someone who knows the score. Not sure how it would have gone if I had done it though! Apparently you must ensure that all your drivers are up to date before taking the plunge. My laptop now has a 5ooGB SSD- fast as a greyhound. I an going to try-out some processor intensive stuff and see how it goes. I think Win10 will be even faster than win7.

What are you doing on Xmas day Keep? We had a huge turky lunch with all the trimmings and have been stuffing all day- I'm so bloated I can hardly move, supper soon too :eek:

Last edited:
Raking leaves between rain drops Xmas day and Xmas eave day. It's 65 F here (It's not supposed to be that hot). I got about 10 big (30 gal) garbage bags of leaves. Leaf blower broke a few weeks ago. I probably ran it without oil in the gas. Migraine blunder. I had to buy another. https://www.stihlusa.com/products/blowers-and-shredder-vacs/shredder-vacs/sh86ce/ Can't use it when the ground is wet. Leaf blower works for light snow too.
I bought a cylinder temperature gauge that should work. See: https://www.btosports.com/p/TRAIL-TECH-TEMPERATURE-METERS/option/665-0009 Battery powered. Sealed device. 5 yr estimated life. I'll have to shorten the cables. Ordered a connector and pins to do so. Mounting - not sure yet.

Asthma is triggered. Migraines are triggered.

Made Fillet Mignon wrapped in bacon using the iron skillet, (brown on stove and bake in oven method). Stuffed baked potatoes. Stir fry broccoli, carrots, mushrooms and a baked Apple tart for desert.

2200uF-50V also available (2500VND). It is necessary to buy film caps (100nF caps in the circuits) for supply units?
I want to pass HUS High School for Gifted Students but it still very far, I must learn so hard. Four subjects need to pass: physics (of course), math, literature, English (damn my bad English)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back