Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transistor equivalent

Status
Not open for further replies.
the 40w circuit use tip41-42 you posted without value of components in page 16. Can you post the values?
can't see an amp circuit on page 16. can you give the post number?

UPDATE

I think you mean amp on page 15, post 293

Last edited:
ETO_nikolai_audio_power_amp_AB_SR_CAD_Iss05_00_2015_12_11_sht1~N.png
ERRATA
Amp Voltage gain= 1+ (R4/R13) not 1+ (R19/R13) as shown on schematic

Last edited:
Thanks, what softwave did you use?
I am start to learn use Eagle for a few weeks, almost I know nothing even can't draw a resistor, may I am a foolish child?:(

:happy::happy:

No probs,

I now use Eagle but used Protel/Altium at work and home before I hung up my soldering iron.
Having got the hang of Eagle, I am pleased to say that it is very good and simple to use. Mind you, I have only done circuit capture.

The user interface is a bit odd and the component libraries are badly organised. The documentation is well intended but not really brilliant. I learnt my way around mainly by reading articles on the net, and also by watching videos on Youtube. Now, I can knock out a circuit without thinking and I'm sure you would be the same very soon.

The schematics that you see on ETO have been exported as .png images by Eagle. Then they are cropped in Photoshop. Then they are sharpened with Unshap Mask and finally the contrast is cranked right up to make the schematics more readable when posted. For a quick post I just capture the Eagle schematic with Snipit and do the Photoshop things before posting.

If you wasnt to draw a component, open up a schematic blank, or already drawn schematic. Go to Library> Use. Select the folder from the library that you want to use. Close Use (you can't use components from a library folder until the folder has been attached to your project.) Click Edit> Add, and select the folder you have just chosen to use. Open the folder and click on the part you want. Click OK and the component will appear on your schematic- easy peasy. If I can do it, I'm sure you can. Just keep at it, and soon it will be second nature. Selection and grouping are not very well explained. If you wan't to know how they work just ask; I have them sussed now.

UPDATE
Make sure you have the latest version of Eagle: Ver 7.4 is much better than Ver 6.4: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/discussion-rules-for-drawing-readable-schematics.144967/

Last edited:
But R19 and C11 still without values. I will change TIP41-42 with TIP35-36.
Surprise, I not fail the exam, too lucky, the mark is higher than what I calculated:p.

But R19 and C11 still without values. I will change TIP41-42 with TIP35-36.
Surprise, I not fail the exam, too lucky, the mark is higher than what I calculated:p.

:cool: Excellent about the exam results- you had jumped the gun.

Very good move changing to the TIP35/TIP36. The TIP41/TIP42 are good transistors- I have used them often- but they are only really suitable for around 20W. The TIP35/TIP36 will not only be more reliable, but have a more suitable hFE curve for a 40W amp. Later, you would be able to increase the supply line to 60V and get about 90W with the same transistors and a couple of resistor changes. The other advantage is that the TIP35/TIP36 have a larger case which is better for heat sinking. Make sure you get the B, or better still, C versions. How would you feel about using TIP41/TIP42 as drivers in place of the 2SC2383/2SA1013 driver pair. If you are prepared to go that way I will investigate and advise.

R19 and C11 are there to tailor the open-loop frequency response (OLFR). The values will depend on your final layout, final transistors, and the final gain that you want. If needed, the values will be around, R19 = 4K7 and C11 = 1nF. Just allow room for them on your layout. They may not even be necessary. In any event, I will have to do an analysis and refer to a bible on the subject to optimise the amp OLFR. Don't worry about frequency response in the audio band (20Hz to 20KHz) that will always be flat. The OLFR is another matter altogether. Many amps simply don't tailor the OLFR and they work fine, so it could be that R19 & C11 will not be necessary; I simply can't tell at the moment.

The voltage gain of the amp, in the audio frequency band, is defined by 1 + R4/R13 only. So at the moment, the gain is set to 1 + 4K7/100R = 48. This is higher than normal which would be around 30, but I have made the gain high because I think you are intending to use the amp without preamp. A lower gain, and thus more negative feedback, means correspondingly lower distortion, although not significantly so. If you did want to lower the gain in line with convention, you would need a pre amp, which is the way that I would go as a matter of course. The gain setting of the amp changes the OLFR requirements, which is in accordance with classic negative feed-back theory, a good subject for a budding engineer to learn about.

Last edited:
Nikolai,

Post 482 has the latest schematic for the 40W Single Rail AB amp. I have now changed the drivers to class A operation.

About Eagle: Get a set of basic components that you will use a lot: R,C, Transistor, etc. and plant them at the top/side of the schematic template. That way you can simply copy them rather than messing with libraries.

ETO_Eagle_example_sheet.png

Last edited:
:cool: Excellent about the exam results- you had jumped the gun.

Very good move changing to the TIP35/TIP36. The TIP41/TIP42 are good transistors- I have used them often- but they are only really suitable for around 20W. The TIP35/TIP36 will not only be more reliable, but have a more suitable hFE curve for a 40W amp. Later, you would be able to increase the supply line to 60V and get about 90W with the same transistors and a couple of resistor changes. The other advantage is that the TIP35/TIP36 have a larger case which is better for heat sinking. Make sure you get the B, or better still, C versions. How would you feel about using TIP41/TIP42 as drivers in place of the 2SC2383/2SA1013 driver pair. If you are prepared to go that way I will investigate and advise.

R19 and C11 are there to tailor the open-loop frequency response (OLFR). The values will depend on your final layout, final transistors, and the final gain that you want. If needed, the values will be around, R19 = 4K7 and C11 = 1nF. Just allow room for them on your layout. They may not even be necessary. In any event, I will have to do some detailed analysis and refer to a bible on the subject to optimise the amp overall OLFR. Don't worry about frequency response in the audio band (20Hz to 20KHz) that will always be flat. The OLFR is another matter altogether. Many amps simply don't tailor the OLFR and they work fine, so it could be that R19 & C11 will not be necessary; I simply can't tell at the moment.

The voltage gain of the amp, in the audio frequency band, is defined by 1 + R4/R13 only. So at the moment, the gain is set to 1 + 4K7/100R = 48. This is higher than normal which would be around 30, but I have made the gain high because I think you are intending to use the amp without preamp. A lower gain, and thus more negative feedback, means correspondingly lower distortion, although not significantly so. If you did want to lower the gain in line with convention, you would need a pre amp, which is the way that I would go as a matter of course. The gain setting of the amp changes the OLFR requirements, which is in accordance with classic negative feed-back theory, a good subject for a budding engineer to learn about.
Yeah, TIP41C-42C (2000VND) much cheaper than 35C-36C (11000VND). I don't like to use A1015-C1815 and A1013-C2383 because many of them are Chinese clone, I think TIP41C-42C will be much better than A1013-C2383, BC337-327 or BC550-560 will be better than A1015-C1815?

Yeah, TIP41C-42C (2000VND) much cheaper than 35C-36C (11000VND). I don't like to use A1015-C1815 and A1013-C2383 because many of them are Chinese clone, I think TIP41C-42C will be much better than A1013-C2383, BC337-327 or BC550-560 will be better than A1015-C1815?

Are you saying that going for the TIP41/42 as drivers would be OK for you

Shame about the A1015-C1815 and A1013-C2383 because the genuine thing are very good, going by the data sheet. I will have another look at transistors.

Amp Issue 6:

(1) TIP35C
(2) TIP36C
(3) TIP41
(4) TIP42
(5) BC550
(6) BC560
(7) Class A drivers
(8) Additional current gain Q10 (BC550) transistor added

ETO_nikolai_audio_power_amp_AB_SR_CAD_Iss06_00_2015_12_11_sht1~N.png
ERRATA
(1) In note, 'R19 & C3 values...' should read, 'R19 & C11 values...'
(2) +46V SUPPLY RAIL should read +60V SUPPLY RAIL
(3) Q10= BC546
(4) Q5=BC546
(5) Q6=BC556

Last edited:
Hi Nikolia,

I have just found that Q5 needs to have a higher VCE rating. It needs to be 60V at least to get 40W. Same for Q5 and Q10. BC546 and BC566 will do the job and are from the same family. Can you get BC546 and BC556?

Last edited:
ETO_Nikolai_audio_power_amp_40W_AB_SR_CAD_PSU_Iss01_00_2015_12_11_sht1~N.png

ERRATA
(1) Title should read: 01CSEL10_ETO_Nikolai_40W_AUDIO_POWER_AMP_AB_PSU_Iss01.00_2015_12_11_SHT01~N
(2) Voltage label T1 should read: 44V@ 2.3A min ~

Last edited:
Yes, I think so. Going out for lunch and Xmas shopping now but will do a 20W version with latest mods too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back