Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transistor equivalent

Status
Not open for further replies.
(1) Just remove the MFD (4) :woot::woot::woot: New foundation, lol, I think it not necessary, most houses in Vietnam have foundation design like this, some people even put 400W audio systtem in their house, not a problem.

Not made from black granite though (I have spare black granite - you pay postage and it's yours) :D

Last edited:
There is a speaker manufacturer in my city and their expensive speakers have a very nice look and finish. They are too expensive for me so at first I did not listen to them. I bought crossover coils from that speaker manufacturer that I used in the speakers I made, the coils were labelled with the inductance. But my latest speakers sounded bad so I measured their response and the crossover was all messed up. The inductances were wrong!

I spoke to the manager of the manufacturing plant and asked to hear his expensive speakers. They sounded as bad as mine so I pulled out my real time audio spectrum analyser and showed him the awful frequency response caused by his inductors with wrong values. They made the inductors there and quickly fixed the problem. How many people bought those speakers with the wrong inductors? And did not notice the bad sound? Another type of audiophools.

Brit amps:

Exposure 2010S2= £740 :)

**broken link removed**

Chord SPM 1200 Mk11= £don't ask :arghh:

**broken link removed**

The Chord would be almost at the level of Keep's baby :cool:

There is a speaker manufacturer in my city and their expensive speakers have a very nice look and finish. They are too expensive for me so at first I did not listen to them. I bought crossover coils from that speaker manufacturer that I used in the speakers I made, the coils were labelled with the inductance. But my latest speakers sounded bad so I measured their response and the crossover was all messed up. The inductances were wrong!

I spoke to the manager of the manufacturing plant and asked to hear his expensive speakers. They sounded as bad as mine so I pulled out my real time audio spectrum analyser and showed him the awful frequency response caused by his inductors with wrong values. They made the inductors there and quickly fixed the problem. How many people bought those speakers with the wrong inductors? And did not notice the bad sound? Another type of audiophools.

:) Amazing - the moral here: never trust anybody and check everything.

Many of our group built trasmision-line speakers, and ripped-off the xover design from the commercial version. We wound the inductors on styrene solder bobbins with 18 SWG wire. All calibrated to 0.5% on the companie's inductance bridge.

Same priciple as you, but about cars (autos). I bought a Ford Granada 2.8lt V6 auto. It was the best car I ever had- long , leggy luxury. But boy, did it drink juice (gas), specially at a ton (100MPH). Juice was cheap then, so no sweat. You could drive all day and still feel fresh as a daisy. But in the winter the Granada huffed and puffed on idle. I checked everything, points, thermostat and so on; couln't find a thing wrong, so I gave up and decided to live with the poor idle in cold weather.

Some time later, while changing the air filter, I noticed that the end of a small rubber tube that connected to the inlet manifold had cracked with the heat. So I thought: cause of the poor idle. I was going to use the old dodge of cutting off the perished end and re-fitting, but, when I took the tube of the boss, there was no hole into the manifold- just ally.

I unbolted manifold from the engine and, sure enough, there was no hole. So I drilled it out, fitted the manifold and shortened tube, and never a problem with rough idle again (the pipe connected to a thermostativally controlled valve and then to a vacuume servo which moved a flap: either cold air or hot air from a shield on the exhaust manifold). Similar to you, I wondered how many people were driving around in the winter with rough running Granadas!

Last edited:
Hi Spec,
Years ago we had car exhaust pollution tests done. A few people somehow got away with modifying their cars for "more power" which was really only producing more pollution. The tester actually measured the pollution in the exhaust. Your car with the manifold tube connected to nothing would have failed the test.
Now the test station's computer simply asks your car's computer how is it feeling. No more actual testing.

Hi Spec,
Years ago we had car exhaust pollution tests done. A few people somehow got away with modifying their cars for "more power" which was really only producing more pollution. The tester actually measured the pollution in the exhaust. Your car with the manifold tube connected to nothing would have failed the test.
Now the test station's computer simply asks your car's computer how is it feeling. No more actual testing.

Evening AG,

None of this mamby-pandy, earth-hugging stuff then. In the UK, we have a yearly MOT test for cars 3 years and older. In those days if there was no rust in critical areas, the front wheels moved when you turned the steering wheel, and the brakes slowed you down a bit, you got a signed off MOT (MOT= Ministry of Transport Test). I had contacts in the motor trade anyway.

On one car the mixture was weakended off to pass the more modern MOT when emmision monitoring came in. This messed up the accelleration from take off- answer crank up the injector rail pressure. So how pass MOT- crank pressure down just before test. The motor bike boys do simiar with exhausts, air cleaners and injection mapping.

Is that right (about car computer saying OK) - didn't know that!

News just comming in about yet another shooting- this time in California. What the hell is going on. The UK government just voted to bomb the bad guys- troubled times. Canada seems like a peacefull place though.

Last edited:
Yes on the news about the shootings in California, they said that the USA is the only place on earth that people can possess and buy any kind of weapon even ones that the bullet or missile can go through anything.
Canada is peaceful except for a few crazy people and "visiting Americans with their weapons".

Yeah, we have real strict arms control the UK, even psycological tests, but even so, we have had lunatics runniing wild and killing inocents. You can always get a gun it seems, even make one!

You know I have these far-fetched ideas. I'm thinking everyone in the world fitted with a GPS and their movements kept on a central computer and analysed for suspicious movements. No info from your GPS- instant arrest.

Sounds a bit like my vacuum speakers :D

(one more post and I make 300)

Last edited:
(one more post and I make 300)
Hi, do not forget to monitor your total posts, very soon you will be rewarded as Active member. After 1000s, you be rewarded as 'Well-known Member', like me. Hehe :)

Hi, do not forget to monitor your total posts, very soon you will be rewarded as Active member. After 1000s, you be rewarded as 'Well-known Member', like me. Hehe :)

I don't look at things most of the time- just go ahead without thinking. When I first spoke to you I thought you were just starting out- perhaps because of your enthusiasm and humour- also xtal radios. I now know that you are much more experienced and know a lot more than I assumed: 1,153 posts, 'Well Known Member'- impressive. :cool:

Last edited:
I don't look at things most of the time- just go ahead without thinking. When I first spoke to you I thought you were just starting out- perhaps becuase of your enthusiasm and humour- also xtal radios. I now know that you are much more experienced and know a lot more than I assumed: 1,153 posts, 'Well Known Member'- impressive. :cool:
I am just an hobbyist and learned nothing in school or university. So I am a life long learner. Even after 5,000 posts I will be asking about Ohms law. :D

EDIT: I do not know more as you assumed.

... So I am a life long learner. Even after 5,000 posts I will be asking about Ohms law.

That's the way to be, keep thinking, enquiring, and learning. When I was young I knew it all, but the more I learn, the less I seem to know.

I was lucky, due to different jobs: servicing RAF ground and airborne RADAR, test engineer, quality engineer, then design engineer, which I always wanted to be. That range of jobs gave me a wider view, especially servicing equipment, so I always tried to make access for servicing as easy as possible and the manuals as clear and helpful as possible.

I was an unpaid 'consultant' at the apprentice school at our company- had some fun doing that. You have to bite your tongue when you see the approach used by the young and inexperienced. Worst thing that ever happened when they shut the apprentice school down!

I do not know more as you assumed.

People from Nepal gentlemen...and modest :)

Last edited:
...and learned nothing in school or university...

Why is that?

I regret not paying attention in the learning days.:( Trouble is, rock, booze, motorbikes, and girls were more intresting at that time.

I really wish I knew more heavy-end maths- thats the language of electronics ... and the world. So intresting too :wideyed:

I concluded, long time ago, that they always have. I would be surprised if not.

From my personal collection (sic): "In this house, electronics from Monday to Friday". Go figure.
:D:D

My domestic managemt has had some things to put up with: 1000 feet of knotty pine wood in lounge waiting to be put on wall for year. One time three cars on drive. Huge speakers still in raw chipboard and no grilles for three years. Speaker cable made from 30A grey mains cable. Various open amps. Melted mains socket in kitchen with high-power welder. Burnt favourite dinning table with soldering iron. Same carpet in son's bedroom. Garage full of car bits, old TVs, radios, oscilloscopes...

Why is that?

I regret not paying attention in the learning days.:( Trouble is, rock, booze, motorbikes, and girls were more intresting at that time.

I really wish I knew more heavy-end maths- thats the language of electronics ... and the world. So intresting too :wideyed:
I meant I didn't get any chances to learn electronics in school (because there's no electronics education in our school syllabus) and in college (electronics colleges are very limited and I was not able for that, that time). I studied linguistics education instead, even I had no interest on it. Sometime I feel would be VERY happy with electronics career.

I am not from so rich family (a son of a farmer). So I never got any chance to feel rocking lifestyle, motor-biking, girlfriends etc.

Last edited:
I learned a little about electricity in school but nothing about electronics. I learned a fair amount about electronics from magazines then in University. At work I never had a mentor so I never became a "certified professional engineer".
I am also still learning. I always like hearing music but I did not like the distortion in rock music, maybe the performers were deaf to the horrible high frequency noise of FUZZ. I never had a motor bike but I liked and dated girls. I am old but I am still attracted by a pretty girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back