Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

transformer's in series

Status
Not open for further replies.

large_ghostman

Most Helpful Member
hi, i have a oldish something or other in a aluminum case, we think it is some kind of old sales rep demo box for a spot welder control unit (big industrial welder with huge Cabinet type controls), anyway it was picked up cheap and is all housed in a large aluminum type suitcase. I have taken the tops off and the circuits are all hand wired and totally fabulous! honestly i have never seen anything so neat and professional looking! it must have taken an engineer a very very long time to put together (i will try and get some pics).
It seems a shame but t is time to take it apart as it has some bit's on i would like to use, like multi turn high precision pots with those vernier type dials on.
anyway the point it hidden in the bottom is 2 largish looking transformers that i think are wired in series. I cant tell for sure yet as i need to take more of it apart to get to them and see what they are rated at, but ts made me think of a question, if they arnt wired together and say they are 12V (probably more because of there size ), what do i need to keep in mind if say i want to wire them in serise so i can have a centre tap and use them as +/- power supply? do they need to be closely matched in some way? so i am asking what do i need o look out for and pay attention too.
i will def take some pics you will love the workmanship in this thing! it's made me want to try and copy the style of wiring in my projects and the neatness of it all and attention to detail! i am really orn about taking it apart but i do need some the bits and i cant help but think its better to use it some way than just keep it in a shed

You failed to mention if the primary or secondary is in series, but it really doesn't matter.

In series, you will get either Va+Vb, |Vb-Va| or 0 volts depending on phase. Identicalness doesn;t matter, but the current rating does. If one winding was 1A and the other 3A, then you can only safely draw 1A.

In parallel, you will either get "magic smoke" or 2x the current. Windings should be identical.

Determining the phase relationship is easy.

You failed to mention if the primary or secondary is in series, but it really doesn't matter.
But it does. You can generally connect transformer secondaries in series, but it's problematic to connect the primaries in series expect for certain specific connections of the outputs.

sorry about that! i didnt say because i dont know yet. The transformers i have in this box i cant see properly but from what i can see it seems a bit odd, unless i am seeing it wrong it looks like each has a center tap on the secondary that is connected together, then there are wires on each the other taps going to somewhere i havnt found yet because i would need to dismantle alot of it, and to be really honest i just havnt wanted to destroy it yet, (it looks so carefully made with real attention to detail i feel a bit guilty), so i have no idea how the primary is connected, i will be brave and take it apart this weekend and post the pics of the connections. I have a feeling they will be identical to each other

hmmm mainly because the graphics on some the dials look like a sort of industrial process like maybe a welder?? i will get pictures tomorrow and show you what i mean, it has endless leds on it and switches, and when i went net hunting for it, some the symbols looked the same as some the spot welder ones. also i tried to google the company and only match i got was for a company i think is long gone but they made industrial spot welders i think for steel plants etc, but this looks like a control unit rather than part of a welder if you see what i mean, and its portable (just) so me and dad thinks it's a reps case or more likely a tech case for testing welder panels???? But i dont have a clue really it's just a kind of wildwish/guess

these from what i can see look like two totally individual transformers that have been wired together, on the bottom of the case where they are bolted through it looks like two units. we just get the impression that its two transformer that have been wired together for maybe hire output voltage or current and because its a case they had to use two that were smaller so they fitted height wise rather than say one large one, or they could be two that are running different parts????
dad says looks like is was built in the 80's by the switches and the fact there are so many leds etc rather than the 70's, but say's it looks too well built for the 90's?? anyway off to bed soon but will try and get pics in the morning

LG: English lesson: serial should be series. 2nd lesson: Use real sentences. The first word is capitalized. "I"'s are capitalized. Use punctuation. Watch for run-on sentences. The ones that you can't say in one breath.

LG: English lesson: serial should be series. 2nd lesson: Use real sentences. The first word is capitalized. "I"'s are capitalized. Use punctuation. Watch for run-on sentences. The ones that you can't say in one breath.
I am Dyslexic and i have to use the spell checker alot, I think that is how serial got in. As for the rest i am trying hard but like maths i am weak in English, except reviews and essay's. I get high marks for content but low marks for grammar.
I will try as best i can to improve my Grammar, and thank you for all the help you give me with electronics
Logan G

hi,
I agree with KISS, please try to use some grammatical methods in your posts , its time consuming reading some posts, trying to make out whats being stated.

E

Look i have said i will try harder! my Dyslexia and Dyspraxia runs in our family, I have posted here for a long time and since being given extra help at school, my writing has improved. In Fact on several occasion's i have been complemented on my writing, and i have been asked to do a article for another site.
I can see why one member would bring it up, but Eric i dont see why you thought it necessary to then jump in and agree after i said i would try even harder! Why bring this up now, when i have been slowly improving over the last couple of years.
There are many adults here who have far worse grammar than i do, I cant tell if this is being said to have a go at me or to help?? if it's to help then it isnt working

I have had trouble with grammar and spelling all my life. Even before we had computers in every home and spell check. Hang in there it will get better.

I'm in a similar situation as you LG - you do need to make the extra effort and double check everything, read everything twice and not "skim read". I've never been formally diagnosed with anything but it runs in the family.

Take the above comments in a constructive way - when you've got your degree and a decent job you'll be pleased you've put the extra effort in and taken on-board comments form your mentors on here.

Look i have said i will try harder! my Dyslexia and Dyspraxia runs in our family, I have posted here for a long time and since being given extra help at school, my writing has improved. In Fact on several occasion's i have been complemented on my writing, and i have been asked to do a article for another site.
I can see why one member would bring it up, but Eric i dont see why you thought it necessary to then jump in and agree after i said i would try even harder! Why bring this up now, when i have been slowly improving over the last couple of years.
There are many adults here who have far worse grammar than i do, I cant tell if this is being said to have a go at me or to help?? if it's to help then it isnt working

hi Logan,
The reason I 'jumped in' as you put it, is because one day you most likely will have to write technical documentation for the company that hires you.

If you really do have a problem, it would be wiser to concentrate on getting used to writing your posts in a way that will serve you in the future.
By writing all your posts in 'text speak' it will become a habit that you find hard to break, so learn now, before you go to University or get a job.

Eric
BTW. Any time I feel like jumping into a Thread I will do so.

I do try hard, read back a couple of years when i first posted! I was unable read very well until i was 9, and could barely write my name. I have been told by the educational Psychologist that I have a high level of intelligence, however i also score slightly on the Asperger's scale. It is a low score and I am considered high functioning, i just have a few quirks :D (neatness and time keeping mainly). So no i am not lazy! I work very hard at EVERYTHING I do.
It is only now that I am being taught grammar, before it would have been too much on top of everything else. I am in the top set for English mainly because of my comprehension and essay skill's, I am given an allowance for poor spelling and grammar in test's. So while i dont mind someone pointing out my crap punctuation etc, I dont need it rammed home! I am aware and I am doing something about it.
As for proof reading, I do but with this level of Dyslexia it matters not if I read it once or a thousand times, sometimes i just cant see the error! And now everyone know's I am not exactly normal, And experience all my life has shown me that whenever people find out about my problem's, They start to treat me differently from before! I hate this, And i hate people knowing about my personal problems and disabilities!! So no I am not Lazy, far from it. But to post and concentrate on spelling,content,punctuation and grammar. Takes too long, my post goes from 5 Minutes to do, to around 35 minuets for a fairly short post. So on here i try and aim for good content and just do my best with the rest

Logan,
The word 'lazy' never crossed my mind.

Just take your time when composing your posts, use a spell checker if you need too.

Sentences and paragraphs make it easier for others to read and understand your posts, this will encourage others to read and reply.
It does not have to be word perfect.
E.

As far as we are concerned, your posts are legible. Your grammar will improve as you go along. Text speak is very annoying to old "fuddy duddies" like us.... It kinda comes across as a bit lazy... Using Queens English does make things easier to read, and looks more professional.

I to suffer a tad with dyslexia, but it doesn't stop me writing correctly.

Text speak?? As far as I know, I do not use it (i don't actually have a phone to text on anyway!) in future please point out words that are text speak. These are words I must try and avoid. Mum and Dad both hate text speak as well, but my Gran uses it all the time lol :D

EDIT
Sorry Eric, I know you didn't use Lazy. Someone in a very kind way pointed out in a pm that sometimes bad English can come across as someone being lazy. So my reference to it wasn't anything to do with what has been said in this thread, It was more my attempt, to make it clear to anyone that had got the impression i was simply being lazy, that laziness is the very last reason for it :D.
Also because I am in a top class for English, EVERYONE else in my class writes beautifully and correctly, So my scrawl that look's like a 3 year old with a crayon did it,and my bad punctuation etc, means i get alot of piss taking (sorry but mickey taking doesn't express how bad it is) in my lesson's, and that kind of hurt's after a while

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back