Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thugs scared off by pocket knife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frosty_47

I was crossing 80 foot walkway across a small stream at 11:30 PM, when a "cyclist" passed me and stopped at the end of the walkway. I turned around and noticed that there was another "person" catching up to me from behind. Due to high railing on the walkway I was trapped, so I pulled out my 4" folding buck knife. When the "cyclist" guy noticed my knife, he immediately got back on his bike and fled. At the same instant, the guy following me was no longer seen in sight. I am well surprised that such a simple thing such a folding buck knife can scare off two thugs. Please share your stories, and experience on this topic

Thanks

Last edited:
hi Frosty,
Pleased to hear you are ok.

Here in the UK, if I carry a knife, it would be a couple of 'coppers' [police] who would be waiting to pounce on me.

So if you had been in the UK and not carrying a knife and the two guys had mugged you, you would be either lying in a local hospital or a morgue.!!!

hi Frosty,
Pleased to hear you are ok.

Here in the UK, if I carry a knife, it would be a couple of 'coppers' [police] who would be waiting to pounce on me.

So if you had been in the UK and not carrying a knife and the two guys had mugged you, you would be either lying in a local hospital or a morgue.!!!

So wait, are you saying that in the UK you need a knife for protection from muggers despite the police, as in without knife one will end in the hospital or worse if muggers show up?

Last edited:
So wait, are you saying that in the UK you need a knife for protection from muggers despite the police, as in without knife one will end in the hospital or worse if muggers show up?

I think he's implying something about how UK police don't carry firearms. Or just that in the UK you can't carry a knife.

Last edited:

hi,
Carrying 'edge' weapons in the UK is unlawful and you get banged up or WORSE.

A guy the other day thought he heard intruders on his grounds, so he went out with a knife.
The intruder turned out to a policeman looking around.

They beat him up, ran over him with their car and broke his leg, then stamped on it, also they threatened to run over him again.

When he asked for an ambulance they ask why.!!

ALL this was captured on a security camera.

Last edited:
Back in the day when I was a young punk around 14 yrs of age, some older guys gave me a hard time about something that I did ( Can't remember what is was now) At any rate I proceed to pull out a blade. Next thing I know, this one guy does a Miyagi do, Obi won Kinobi, jedi kung fu maneuver on me and promptly relieved me of my weapon. I stood in utter fear as this man pointed my own knife at me and explained to me what might have happened to me if he was a lesser sort of gentleman. I never forgot that day, and needless to say I never packed a knife again... True story.

Last edited:
We do have some pretty strict weapons laws in the UK (firearms are almost completely illegal) but you can carry a knife, as long as the blade is shorter than a certain length and it's not used as a weapon.

I think our gun laws are too strict but I don't think any nutter should be allowed to carry a gun in public like in the US.

We do have some pretty strict weapons laws in the UK (firearms are almost completely illegal) but you can carry a knife, as long as the blade is shorter than a certain length and it's not used as a weapon.

I think our gun laws are too strict but I don't think any nutter should be allowed to carry a gun in public like in the US.

Contrary to what BBC may lead you to believe, Most U.S. citizens are not free to carry firearms around in public in most states, Arizona is an exception and there may be a few other states.

________________________edit_______________

What I mean to say is, don't make the assumption that Americans are all pistol packing people. We are just like other peeps.

Last edited:
There's a hiuge backlash against 'knife crime' in the UK, carrying a knife is considered seriously illegal.

As for MikeBits story, he was seriously lucky - we teach to 'run away' if you can against a knife, but if you can't, then get possestion of the knife and use it. And by 'use it' we teach cutting the throat, stabbing the kidneys etc, all fast kill techniques. You practice these techniques until they are reflexes, and you would tend to do them without any conscious thought.

Someone attacking you with a knife is trying to kill you - kill them first if you can, hesitation is likely tio be fatal.

There's a hiuge backlash against 'knife crime' in the UK, carrying a knife is considered seriously illegal.

As for MikeBits story, he was seriously lucky - we teach to 'run away' if you can against a knife, but if you can't, then get possestion of the knife and use it. And by 'use it' we teach cutting the throat, stabbing the kidneys etc, all fast kill techniques. You practice these techniques until they are reflexes, and you would tend to do them without any conscious thought.

Someone attacking you with a knife is trying to kill you - kill them first if you can, hesitation is likely tio be fatal.

For my story, I was taught a valuable lesson by a wiser person and it changed my behavior from that day forward. And yeah I was lucky which I was made aware of.

Last edited:

When in the UK I had a .22 rifle with silencer and a semi auto shotgun. If you are a law abiding citizen then you can own guns in the UK.

Edit, BTW, the knife mentioned in the first post would be illegal in the UK. The only legal knives in the UK have to be none locking and have a blade length less than 3 inches.

Mike.

Last edited:
I was once robbed by a bunch of pistaleros when I lived in California. I only had a few bucks on me, so I just handed over my wallet as demanded. They started to run off, and I yelled, "Hey! I need my wallet back!" The came back and returned it. LOL!

Good philosophy, since it's foolish to believe that anyone displaying a weapon, won't likely use it. It only takes one though. Maybe they don't use it on you, but what about the next victim. Don't know much about the law (ours, or anybody's these days), but they don't seem to take the matter all that serious. A life threatened, is a very serious thing, and if the courts are going to take a tough stand, the citizens should. It shouldn't be treated as a robbery, but attempted murder.

Citizens should be allowed to carry whatever weapons they feel a need for, just as long as they are well trained to use them. Criminals still have knives and guns, they don't care about the laws. I don't own any guns, never carry a knife, but got one the car (for repairs, if needed). I'm a pretty good sized man (not around the mid-section), and if walking, usually with my dog. I don't where a watch, or jewelery, only carry the minimum needed. Just not an attractive victim, never been robbed.

I have never been assaulted or mugged, but there was one incident some years ago which had me thinking.
My wife and I were wandering around in some odd little town on the Costa Del Sol, I turned around to see where we had just come from, (so I could find the way back) and a few metres behind us a slightly scruffy looking guy stopped suddenly and looked into a shop window.
Whether this was just coincidence, or he was closing in to try and snatch the bag I was carrying I will never know.

JimB

Nutters here are not allowed to posses firearms. If a person here completes his/her gun registration falsely, they have committed a felony and subject to serious punishment along with revoking of firearm(s). The registration even inquires to the sound mind and stability of the prospective gun owner. A background check is done through a national database, however it's the private sales between individuals that isn't tracked. It's up to the two parties to be honest and register specific firearms requiring registration. I know that if I sold a firearm to an individual, they would be accompanying me to a firearms dealer and pay for the registration transfer... otherwise I could be held libel for a multitude of charges, if they used the firearm in a crime. Keep in mind that the law has changed in recent years to reflect all this and many gun owners here have guns that are "grandfathered in" under old laws that didn't require all the paperwork.

I have, on 3 occasions in 40 years, avoided confrontation by letting the culprit hear the sound of me racking the mechanism of my Ruger semi-automatic rifle. He never saw the rifle, but he left immediately, and that is good enough for me! I am happy and lucky that peeping toms and burglars have good hearing.

I still think that a civilian with no criminal record should be allowed to carry firearms and knives for self defense. Politicians are scared of an armed public because they realize that someday, an educated public may revolt to all the bull **** that the politicians feed them. So that is why politicians in US and worldwide try to heavily restrict gun ownership to law obeying citizens. I never believe a politician that says he/she is trying to make the streets safer by banning handguns, etc..

The criminals will always find a weapon to tip the odds of a successful robbery in their favor. Its not the object they use to commit the crime, that is at fault for the crime. Knives and guns can be made in a home workshop, no special tools or skills required. A thick tree limb can kill, and they are free and plentiful. Law abiding citizens aren't allow to carry tools for protection, against those who don't care about the laws. We must depend on the courts to bring justice, after we are robbed and injured. Little is being to done to prevent the crimes from happening, or prevent the offender from continuing to practice his trade a few months later.

There has to be more serious consequences for violent crimes, citizens should be reward for permanently a criminal's career. No one forces them to steal, they make the choice, and should accept the worst. Why steal, Obama will give you everything for free...

I have, on 3 occasions in 40 years, avoided confrontation by letting the culprit hear the sound of me racking the mechanism of my Ruger semi-automatic rifle. He never saw the rifle, but he left immediately, and that is good enough for me! I am happy and lucky that peeping toms and burglars have good hearing.
If you're gonna cycle a gun's action for mechanical noise, it should be a pump shotgun. It's far louder, and with the proper ammo, far deadlier at close range versus a rifle. Furthermore, you can load the first shell as a blank for noise to deter entry into your home.

However, my sincere stance on this kind of scenario is:
1. Unless my own life or that of a family member is in immediate danger, the gun is not pulled out and aimed. Personal property can always be replaced.
2. If a thug is caught leaving my home or property, he's free to go and I'll let the law take it from there. You don't shoot a fleeing felon since your own life is no longer in danger. This can backfire on you, risking criminal charges and prison. Let the police deal with it.
3. I always believed that a gun doesn't get brought out and pointed as a scare tactic, especially for a peeping Tom or mischievous people on one's property. Some citizens believe in using a firearm to protect their life and property, but I would draw the line at using one for personal protection only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back