Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Teletext display using a dsPIC30F3012 (Just an idea nothing more)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueroomelectronics

I was trying to figure out what to do with a dsPIC30F3012 that would be interesting and though well it might be fun to update the TV Typewriter Cookbook (Don Lancaster) that did pretty neat composite NTSC video with the old KIM-1 (6502)

I can't locate my copy of the old book, but I got to thinking if a 6502 and a handful of ICs could do it 30yrs ago can something similar be done with the superfast dsPIC30F3012 (8K Flash, 2048 RAM, 1024 EEPROM) and can run at 30MIPs (120MHz clock max)
The idea was an old 14.318MHz crystal same as the original IBM XT used (the dsPIC will 8x PLL it to 114MHz) a simple 4 bit D/A should provide simple color graphics based on internal RAM (yes lores for sure)
Of course PAL would require a different oscillator.

Any thoughts?

I can't remember how it worked now?, I've got at least one of the books, and possibly both somewhere (the second was a much improved version) - but did they use hardware access to the RAM?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back