Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switch debouncer circuit in DIP package

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boncuk

Hi,

I'm planning a small project which requires one up- and on down push button. The circuit requires accurate activation pulses which I intend to produce using a debouncer circuit. So far I have found a MAX6817, but this is produced in a SOT23-6 package. I'd rather use a DIP-package type.

Whatever chip it will be (single or quadruple) doesn't make any difference.

Any hints?

Thank you.

Hans

If it's a one of and you have the capability to program a pic then a 12f508 would do the job for 3 buttons. You could even have auto repeat with a repeat delay so it was like your PC keyboard.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

I don't intend to program a PIC, but use the keys for a phase control circuit. Using a pot like it is normally used to control rpm of an AC-motor it is very likely destroyed within no time if it's operated by Thais, which will be the case.

I will use vandalism prove switches for that reason. :D

Please have this sentence in mind: What willpower can do. Extending that you can make it to read: What will- and muscle power can do.

Hans

Last edited:
Ic & Iq

They're not cheap if I remember correctly, but On Semiconductor has the MC14490-D.

If you really want to learn everything that there is to know about bouncing and debouncing, from the best, Google search for "Ganssle debounce".

I'd give you URLs for both of these, but this website won't allow me to enter a URL in my reply. Welcome to lameness.

-e

They're not cheap if I remember correctly, but On Semiconductor has the MC14490-D.

If you really want to learn everything that there is to know about bouncing and debouncing, from the best, Google search for "Ganssle debounce".

I'd give you URLs for both of these, but this website won't allow me to enter a URL in my reply. Welcome to lameness.

-e

Thanks Eric,

the problem is a pure space problem. Debouncing the switches using R/C components the board size won't suffice. I have to press the circuit into a wall outlet box. A 14-pin DIP package won't fit either.

There is some space available, but I reserved it to cool the triac.

Hans

-e

hi eric,:)
Your link.

www.ganssle.com/debouncing.pdf

Hi there,

I have to wonder if this app can make use of SPDT switches instead
of SPST switches. If so, an ordinary SR flip flop package would do
just fine. In fact, an ordinary NAND gate would work too.
The catch here is you have to use SPDT switches, not SPST which
most pushbuttons are these days.

On the other hand, perhaps a 555 would work to debounce
a SPST switch.

Maybe even a LM339 with a cap and resistor, four channels
with four caps and four resistors.

Last edited:
So Boncuk, I'm confused. I can understand a 14DIP being too big, but a SOT23 might(?) be OK otherwise, and an R/C solution is still too big? Seems like you could get an R, C and a D/Q into about the footprint of an 8DIP, no? Especially if you can mount the resistor vertically rather than flush.

On another note, you could vandal-proof the switch by putting it very, very, very close to the hot 220VAC line. They'll get a big-ass zap the first (and last) time they abuse the switch. Worker protections probably aren't real strong in Thailand, so you're operating within specified tolerances. :)

-e

So Boncuk, I'm confused. I can understand a 14DIP being too big, but a SOT23 might(?) be OK otherwise, and an R/C solution is still too big? Seems like you could get an R, C and a D/Q into about the footprint of an 8DIP, no? Especially if you can mount the resistor vertically rather than flush.

On another note, you could vandal-proof the switch by putting it very, very, very close to the hot 220VAC line. They'll get a big-ass zap the first (and last) time they abuse the switch. Worker protections probably aren't real strong in Thailand, so you're operating within specified tolerances. :)

-e

Hi Eric,

the zapping has been taken care of with 25KV electric fence already. Talking about worker protections in Thailand, I've not seen any so far. You should take a look at huge building constructions. There are some bamboo sticks around it and the workers climb them bare footed. To me it seems Thais are made for short time use. :)

Hans

the problem is a pure space problem. Debouncing the switches using R/C components the board size won't suffice. I have to press the circuit into a wall outlet box. A 14-pin DIP package won't fit either.

That is why I suggested an 8 pin pic as a debounce chip.

Mike.

That is why I suggested an 8 pin pic as a debounce chip.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

an 8 pin PIC would be alright, but then I'll have a problem with the "ifs". Neither do I have programming knowledge nor do I have a PIC programmer.

Hans

Hi Hans,

I don't understand the problem with the SOT23-6. There are converter boards made. Bellin Dynamic Systems makes a board that you solder the SOT to then some pin headers to convert the SOT to a DIP footprint. Jameco sells them in the US. Here is one link. Unfortunately, they are quite expensive ($45USD), but they come on a break-apart larger board and you get several adapter boards for that price. I checked the current Jameco site, and it seems the 227344 has SOT23-6 to DIP-6 on it. The Bellin number is B513.

I bought one of the other boards several years ago that had a mixture of adapters and small circuit boards. In reality, they seem more useful than they actually are. I just started using SMD for everything about the same time and really haven't had a need to use anything but a few of the circuit protoboards. I do have a single a SOIC8 to DIP 8 adapter, which I could send in an envelop to you, if that would help. Will something like that make it into Thailand as first class mail?

John

I can see not wanting a SOT-23 if you're working with either a thru-hole protoboard or stripboard. Since you're in Thailand, you could check with either Futurlec or ETTeam to see if they have any SOT-DIP adapters. They have lots of other ones (SOIC, SSOP, LQFP, etc) in their catalog, but they may know where you could get one "locally".

https://www.futurlec.com/SMD_Adapters.shtml
https://www.etteam.com/product/13000TEST_PCB.html

Here we have this for US$1, https://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=717 , but there's got to be something local to you for converting the SOT part if you're otherwise OK with that part.

good luck,
-e

Hi John, hi Eric,

thanks a lot for your suggestions. That circuit will be made as a small series and I'm afraid using Thais to work with SMDs I might as well forget about them.

Here's my final solution for the adapters. US$54 for an adapter seems to me it's made of pure gold.

This board will cost me €23,95 containing 120 adapters. :D

Kind regards to both of you.

Hans

Attachments

• SOT23-6=DIP6.jpg
    SOT23-6=DIP6.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 318
Hi Eric, hi nickelflippr,

for details please check out http://www.mme-pcb.de. They manufacture boards with the usual board files (make their own Gerber files).

I don't know if their site also contains English language. If you need any assistance please PM me.

I'll post their service offers translated to English here.

They deliver worldwide and foreign country (outside the common market)postal charge is 15€ or lower depending on the transportation method. (They always select the cheapest way for the customer.)

Another cheap manufacturer is 'Bilex-lp' in Bulgaria. Please google it. I don't have the URL handy. The boards are of excellent quality - just delivery time is too long sometimes. (Don't mix up 'lp' - capitals: LP)

Kind regards

Hans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back