Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Super Bright LEDs Toronto, Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil E.

Excellent Website. I just read the LED tail light thread, great info and also very patient people handing out advice. I am making up an LED tail light for a dirt bike. I would like to know if anyone has a source for mega-bright LEDs in the Toronto area. Needs to be a brick and mortar store, no online ordering for this dinosaur. I have located a supplier for Bivar and can purchase their 5XRC8.515 in a 100 piece quantity. It's the brightest 5mm flangeless RED I have found at 10,200 mcd peak output. I need some white ones too, but the pakage quantity is too high, so I'm looking for alternative suppliers.
Any ideas?

Be aware that the brightest ratings are with water clear lens, but you have to view the LED straight on or it is not so bright. Red diffused LEDs have a lower rating but are more visible at an angle.

Neil E. said:
Excellent Website. I just read the LED tail light thread, great info and also very patient people handing out advice. I am making up an LED tail light for a dirt bike. I would like to know if anyone has a source for mega-bright LEDs in the Toronto area. Needs to be a brick and mortar store, no online ordering for this dinosaur. I have located a supplier for Bivar and can purchase their 5XRC8.515 in a 100 piece quantity. It's the brightest 5mm flangeless RED I have found at 10,200 mcd peak output. I need some white ones too, but the pakage quantity is too high, so I'm looking for alternative suppliers.
Any ideas?

Sayal Electronics. Their head office is in Toronto. I visit the burlington store myself and find that the brightest one they have in stock is rated at 5000MCD (equivalent to the light of 5 billion candles combined together)

I have purchased from Bivar, but in quantity, prices are OK , but more than you need.

You may also want to try Future/Active, not bad prices, decent stock.

**broken link removed**

Or Electrosonic, **broken link removed**

I got some Sayal 5000mcd blue ones. Excellent quality and price, eh. :lol:
Their 4000mcd red ones are not nearly so bright and look a little orangish.

you are probably closer to sayal in Toronto (gordon baker) but be sure
to know the part number before you get there... :)
there is a corner in mississauga (Dixie and Matheson) that has couple of stores
including Sayal, Active, RTC Electronics and don't remember em all.
all side by side in same building. i didn't go there in ages now but
they should have what you ask for... it's good for people who want to
simply walk in and either look around or buy tons of stuff they don't
need or won't use in next century or so. :lol:
in toronto, you can also visit active's surplus store on queenstreet in
downtown (there was another one just few steps east on the same street,
don't know the name anymore)
and if you have boots, gloves, hardhat, gogles and big shovel, you will be welcomed
in A-1 parts on kipling just north of queens...

brightest one they have in stock is rated at 5000MCD (equivalent to the light of 5 billion candles combined together)
5 billion? not quite but getting there...
mili = 0.001 so
5000mcd= 5000 x 0.001cd = 5 candles

lot's of people don't know how to use upper and lower case so they
simply stick in M which is mega (mega=1000000).

mCD=Milli Candlelight Density

common for manufactures to use the 'm' in milla capitalized.

It would be really bright at 1 million candle density.

I posted on the equations to formulate mCD awhile back.

Tomorrow they'll make LEDs with Mega or even Tetra candlelight density!
They wanna blind everbody, or run them with microamps.
Haven't you ever been behind a new pickup truck at a stoplight? He, he. :lol:

LEDs

Thanks for all the replies. My findings:
Electrosonic - poor selection
Future - nothing suitable
Sayal - handy place, bought their 5000mcd white, turned out to have a very narrow viewing angle, poor substitute for the Bivar 6000mcd white 30 deg. (might use the Sayal just because I have them now)

I can recommend Irwin Industrial in Richmond Hill as a great source for Bivar if you can use 100 at a time. They order often enough that delivery is OK.

Well they do make large LED's now that are in the 10 to 50+ lumens.

It is confusing as to what manufactures use really.

as this equation:
"1 lumen per meter squared per steradian"=1 candela per meter squared (cd/m2

Site info:
**broken link removed**

Also interesting by searching google "Candle density lumens" I get this:
https://www.weedfarmer.com/cannabis/definitions_guide.php
A must read interesting.

There is also alot of stuff dealing with lumens and of ratings to measure light by searching google "Candle density lumens"

Russlk said:
Be aware that the brightest ratings are with water clear lens, but you have to view the LED straight on or it is not so bright. Red diffused LEDs have a lower rating but are more visible at an angle.

Yeah, the 10 candela I know are "flashlight" LEDs with a tight focus. The overall power output is the same as some others with a wider angle but a much lower mCd rating.

A taillight does fine with LEDs of like 60 deg. The thing is, the highly focused T1-3/4 packages don't have a remarkable power output. There are much more powerful ones in flat "square" packs which dissipate heat better and can make a much flatter taillight.

If I recall correctly, to compare actual power you'd look at the ratio of the square of the angle, so a 20 deg 10 candela "flashlight" T1-3/4 LED has the same power output as 1.111 candela in a 60 deg spread. Superflux, Everbrite, and I believe Kingbright make some really powerful ones in these flat packs often used for taillights, turn signals, etc. Over that angle it'll put out like 3-5 candela so it's much better than the T1-3/4 stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back