Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stun Gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is that i cant get my hands on any old transistor radio.

also whats the difference between a Driver and a Output?

hello,

I too don't have that specific transformer for this project. But, I do have a small 220:1 transformer from a camera flash. Could I use this? I could use a 6v battery instead of 9V and get 1320V. Would it still work and is it safe to just shock a friend. Not to painful, and if they have a pacemaker, it won't kill them right :lol: . (OK...Thats not funny). Also, this taser doesn't do any permanet damage right?

thanks,

George L.

George L. said:
hello,

I too don't have that specific transformer for this project. But, I do have a small 220:1 transformer from a camera flash. Could I use this? I could use a 6v battery instead of 9V and get 1320V. Would it still work and is it safe to just shock a friend. Not to painful, and if they have a pacemaker, it won't kill them right :lol: . (OK...Thats not funny). Also, this taser doesn't do any permanet damage right?

None of these types of devices are completely safe, it depends entirely on the person who gets shocked - and I certainly wouldn't advise using one on a friend!. There's always a risk of death! - I believe a number of people are killed every year by Police tasers in the USA?.

Incidently, in the UK such devices are seriously illegal, and it's a criminal offence to own one!.

Hello,

I am giving this circuit a try. I am going to be VERY careful because it is dangerous. I started by breadboarding the 555 circuit without the transistor or the transformer. I already have a problem! I measure the AC output of pin 3 and only get .4 V I don't think this is right. I am using a .47uF electrolythic and a .01uF ceramic for the caps. Everthing is the correct value. Am I supposed to get .4V there and very little curent?

thanks,

George L.

A little 555 IC can't drive a reverse-connected transformer all by itself. The power transistor was supposed to drive the transformer.
So I guess you have fried your 555.

Audioguru,

I guess I wasn't clear on this,

The transformer and transistor is not in my breadboarded circuit, I am just connecting pin 3 (without the resistor) to the multimeter and the other side to ground.

The 555 is currently no driving anything.

George L.

George L. said:
The transformer and transistor is not in my breadboarded circuit, I am just connecting pin 3 (without the resistor) to the multimeter and the other side to ground.

A multimeter isn't very good for measuring it!, you should use a scope (assuming you have access to one?). Multimeters generally are designed for mains AC only, at 50 or 60Hz, at the much greater frequency you're using from the 555 it might not work at all, and certainly won't read anywhere near correct.

I also noticed that the frequency is much higher than the mains frequency that a multimeter would measure accurately.

The duty-cycle is a very low 1:47 as determined by the circuit's R1 and R3. A multimeter would measure a very low signal with such a low duty-cycle.

That exactly it audioguru!

I just changed the resistors to 12.2K (10K + 2.2K) and 100 ohms. I added a 1uF cap at the output. The multimeter now measures 2.5V AC at the output (ALMOST dead battey, 6.5V). I tried getting a current reading at the output, its not supposed to read anything right? I am pretty sure this is normal. I put a diode at output and it read 200mA+. That is BAD.

If the AC with diode is 200ma+, does that mean the AC is also 200mA+?

thanks for the help audioguru

George L.

You shouldn't connect a diode to ground at the output of a 555. It would be almost like a dead short and might destroy both the 555 and the diode if the power supply can provide the unlimited amount of current.

YES!

I got the circuit working on my breadboard. It was very fustrating because my meter was reading arond 300V at the transformer output when I am using a fresh 9V.

The transformer is from a camera flash. Turns 1.5V into 330V. (220:1)

I am using 9V and olny getting 300V out. I burned out 3 2N3904's so I just switched to a 2N3055. I have a diode at the output so I can read the DC on my meter. With the 2n3055 it reads OL, 500V+. The current was 7mA at the output. I touched the output with my pointer finger and thumb. WOW!!!! :shock: pain!!!! (I guess I did something right)

My question is should I be shocking my self with AC or DC??? Also, there is no permant damage done to my hand (500+V at 7mA) is there??? It only tingled for a minute. No marks on my hand, and full function.

What is a good current for a taser that woun't hurt that much? (Obviosly less than 7mA.)

would really appreciate some help.

thanks

George L. (will post pics when finished)

You can take may mA trough your figers it wil just hurt a lot.Its very dengeris if you get the curent trough your hart.The curently may knock it out if its rithem resulting in death. This is one hadn it the pocket rule. If you done it whith bouth hands it will go up your arm trough your whole body and down the otehr arm.Doing this is dengerus!!!

I once was stupid enigh to discharge an 1uF cap wiled to 2kW in to my hand.It realy hurt and my figer was all red and hirt as hell.I never even dared to toch it whithout puting an screwdriver over it first.

That multiplyer has quite a lot of stages.

After all those stages you prpboblby have very litle curent

noob ;)

hey. i'm new to this forum. i signed up to find out about this project. i actually want to create mark stoker's model as a defence unit. it seems a much better idea than the traditional thing people do in my area, which is carrying knives :S !

i'm going ot have trouble finding the transformer. could somebody please tell me wha tthe specs will need to be for things like the capacitors and resistors? will i need parts with higher tollerances or can i use tiny ones? also, the 1n4007 is hard to get your ahrds on here, i used a 1n4004. will that do the trick? any reason for such high voltage tollerance? last thing! i'm such a noob, but to save me looking it up could someone please tell me which leads on the tip31 are the c/b/e ?

hehe.. thanks guys :) if this works well i'll make a pcb for it.

this is what i have so far (attached)

Attachments

• stun-gun-prot.jpg
    stun-gun-prot.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 2,298
George L. said:
I touched the output with my pointer finger and thumb. WOW!!!! :shock: pain!!!! My question is should I be shocking my self with AC or DC??? Also, there is no permant damage done to my hand (500+V at 7mA) is there??? It only tingled for a minute. No marks on my hand, and full function.
LMAO, LMAO you don't know how funny that comes off as!!!:D :D A few years from now, you'll finally know if you have full function.... that is of the neuron flow in your body! You should sharpen those contact points for two reasons:
1. breaks the skin to deepen the shock's effects
2. might as well leave the poor bas"turd" bleeding as he lies quivering and convulsing on the pavement!

:eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

Too funny HiTech..

I have a neighbor that shoot a BB in his hand, (I asked) he said I thought it was empty (so he pointed it at his hand).. OK, I have a STUN GUN. Let me see if it works. BBiiiiiiiizzzzzzzzzzzz!!! What day is it.. Uh, yep it works.

ElectroMaster has a sleeper going here, 4 pages.. Almost as good as "let's change the forum layout, your thoughts.". Maybe that is why he made the stun gun.

I must admit, it is a cheap circuit to zap the tar out of someone though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back