Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stun Gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saturday I got nailed by a stun gun: 25kv CRT anode!! Damn, I assumed that since I drained the CRT, everything was good to go. I started to remove the flyback Xformer and zzzzzap! Amazing how fast an arm flinches! That damn CRT kept arcing to no end. I finally used a clip lead to ground to bleed it as I pulled the chassis. Silly me, every now and then I'll get caught off guard. Been a loooong time since I got zapped, but this was a reminder that I'm not immune to it!

HiTech said:
Saturday I got nailed by a stun gun: 25kv CRT anode!! Damn, I assumed that since I drained the CRT, everything was good to go. I started to remove the flyback Xformer and zzzzzap! Amazing how fast an arm flinches! That damn CRT kept arcing to no end. I finally used a clip lead to ground to bleed it as I pulled the chassis. Silly me, every now and then I'll get caught off guard. Been a loooong time since I got zapped, but this was a reminder that I'm not immune to it!

It's only a little tickle off a charged CRT - be a MAN! :p

OK there General... let me attach clip leads to your ear lobes and you tell me how it feels!:rolleyes:
Often it seems that any real damage from shocks comes from cuts, scrapes and such when the muscles involuntarily flinch an arm or hand across a circuit board, etc.

HiTech said:
OK there General... let me attach clip leads to your ear lobes and you tell me how it feels!:rolleyes:
Often it seems that any real damage from shocks comes from cuts, scrapes and such when the muscles involuntarily flinch an arm or hand across a circuit board, etc.

You mean when the back of your hand RIPS across the solder side of the board, shredding your skin as it goes! :D

However, there's no convenient PCB near the final anode connection, so that doesn't apply!.

Worse if the guy stand behind you looking over and saying "what's that do (BONK)" Elbow to his nose

Nigel Goodwin said:
You mean when the back of your hand RIPS across the solder side of the board, shredding your skin as it goes! :D

However, there's no convenient PCB near the final anode connection, so that doesn't apply!.
Exactly! But don't forget about the internal cabinet framework and such that can scrape/tear skin. This time around, my hand was just above the CRT's neck, next to the aquadag.

When toyed whith a flyback i just used some crocodile clips and they dont have HV wire.Then got too close to one.I first felt a tickle then the insulation on the wire couldnt hold it back anymore and zap.It arced trough the ruber on the wire and on to my hand.Left a very anoying burn on my hand that is was scrathing for like a weak.Oh and the flyback was runing whith a costum driver and so had a lot more power.(Had to give it cooling times becuse it was getting too hot)

For the record to the repliers who are amazed at how high and dangerous 1800VDC is, consider this. Electricity ionizes air on a normal day at usually around 20,000 volts per inch. When you get a shock from rubbing your feet on the carpet and touching a door, say, a quarter of an inch spark, thats 5,000 volts. Not many people die from every-day static electrical shocks. As another note, the stun guns the police use generally are between 150KV-300KV, not 2KV like this (which is why you will see no spark jumping between the electrodes an inch apart).

On a side note, the AC wall outlets in USA homes of 120volts can easily be deadly due to the high current. Anyways, don't just see a number and think its dangerous :) current+voltage=energy

Nigel Goodwin said:
It's only a little tickle off a charged CRT - be a MAN! :p

I have to admit, when I become complacent enough to get a shock off a charged CRT it gets me so wound up I don't want to go near another CRT for the rest of the day - I become over concious of getting another shock!!!

I hate getting CRT shocks.

Brian

ThermalRunaway said:
I have to admit, when I become complacent enough to get a shock off a charged CRT it gets me so wound up I don't want to go near another CRT for the rest of the day - I become over concious of getting another shock!!!

I hate getting CRT shocks.

Brian
It makes me want to take a ball pien hammer to the CRT's neck!! In reality we only have ourselves to blame for carelessness. It's not like electricity comes looking for us: "Hey guys, there's a human sitting over there at that desk writing poetry. We're a group of highly motivated, free-running electrons, so what say we play a nasty trick on him?"

anyone know of any substitute parts i can use for the mark stoker model? i just finished mine an hour ago using; MOUSER transformer (T1), in4004 diode (d2), TIP 48 transistor (Q1), IN4148 diode (d1) i dunno if thats the same as INJ4148 ?? and both of my capacitors are disc capacitors dunno if that matters or not.. anyways the problem is when i tested this on my voltmeter... it read like 6 volts...? i wanted at least 100v or somthing to give a nice shock like the expected 1800v :(

Attachments

• Twin coil driver.JPG
    Twin coil driver.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 3,134
Last edited:
That Ninja webpage is absolutely the most ignorant site on the Internet! It's obvious that a dreamy headed pube fabricated it!

I tested the circuit above with just the one ignition coil it's about 48KV @ 142hz and gives off a noise that suggest run away, the ozone smell is very strong. Pic taken with older camera just in case :)

Attachments

• test 1.JPG
    test 1.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 1,416
I added the second coil and it now jumps 46mm and draws 2.37A @ 12.5V. I suspected the voltage was going to be over 50KV so i am on a hunt for 50 x 10M resistors to add to the 50 i have now, seems every store i go to they have like 5 or 10. There is a way to measure the Voltage with spark gap but you need to make some big sperical electrodes
( http://www.kronjaeger.com/hv/hv/msr/spk/index.html ) for it to be acurate. Any ideas how i can measure this voltage without a 1G resistor or a pair of big balls :)

Attachments

• test 2.JPG
    test 2.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,052
in vietnam we used to go fishing with this on our own land. what we'd do is stick a 12v battery on our back and go in the water to shock the fish. when they get shocked they will float up and we collect them in a net then eat :p

i dont think its legal over here so i wouldnt try it lol:p

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,320
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,169
tuna said:
in vietnam we used to go fishing with this on our own land. what we'd do is stick a 12v battery on our back and go in the water to shock the fish. when they get shocked they will float up and we collect them in a net then eat :pi dont think its legal over here so i wouldnt try it lol:p
You can do the same thing with an AC line cord and two long steel rods stuck a couple of feet apart into dampened ground. The worms wiggle up to the surface, you put them in a container, grab your fishing pole and go catch larger fish than those you pictured. Now you and your family can eat for days to weeks instead of snacking from morning to noon, to supper time.

gopu_therock said:
u r awesomeman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!how do ya get these things???????????????
You gopu_thestore, plop down some money for a stun gun, wait for a day until it rains heavily, then stand in your front yard and activate the thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back