Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stuffed my project up!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

large_ghostman

Most Helpful Member
GRRRRrrrrr

A Rooky error may have cost me my technology pre lim exam!! I am so cross with myself, the prelims decided which level of exam you take for your finals next year. I had a utterly brilliant project designed and just about ready to build, I had all but one component left to get before final assembly!!

Then I slipped up..............

Because its exam work I need to submit in two weeks times I cant describe the project until after submission, if I do and someone posts a tip or something then technically its not my own work and I have cheated. I will detail it IF I submit it, Its looking unlikely I will be able to submit now though :(.

Anyway the worlds best ever tech project (IMHO) was messed up by being tight and NOT paying attention to detail! I needed a R PI version 2 B+ because it has 4 USB ports and 41 IO. I was just about out of cash so went ebay hunting, deepjoy a model B never used and only £25 with delivery. Just about had the cash so pressed buy now, it arrived a couple of days ago and I left it in the box until tonight.

I was going to set it up tonight and do final tests etc, EXCEPT............... I have gone and brought version 1 model B :( :( it only has 2 USB ports and 21 IO ports.
So the Python code wont work and there isnt enough USB or IO on it and I cant afford to get another for at least 6 weeks (too late).

The pic wasnt great on ebay but the description said model B, never occurred to me it wasnt the MK2 board.
I will probably have to build and submit a lesser project, but unlikely I will get a national 5 pass for it, man I could flog myself for the stupidity!!

So if anyone wants to swap a mobel B first board for a mk2 new board give me a shout lol, yeah I know its like asking to swap a rust bucket for a brand new car lol.

The airframe is now made as well so would be very hard to alter everything inside two weeks to get it finished, the other and more important point is I have submitted the theory part and plans already, so my project has to fit the write up!!

I normally open things straight away and play with them the moment they are delivered, typical the one time I dont is the one time I mess up.
Nothing I can do but ***** about it now, I guess I am just angry I spent 6 months developing something that wont get submitted!

This is where I miss my dad, he would no what I was talking about, I try and explain to my mum why I am throwing the soldering iron around in disgust and she looks at me blankly lol. Her advice? " Cant you use another thingy?" Er no mum has to be a certain thingy not any thingy, some thingies wont do what other thingies do. " Oh I thought all thingies did the same thing".

ITS ALL UPHILL trying to explain a THINGY to my mum :D

I don't know this help, but can't you use a USB hub?

I don't know this help, but can't you use a USB hub?
It isnt that simple unfortunately, the other possibly worse down side is the smaller I/O, also little things like the huge difference in speed. Once the exams are over I will reveal what it was I was doing.

I thought it was a cool idea at the time, I also planned to then work on a 'UPGRADE' and submit for my highers next year. To be honest I am more annoyed at making such a stupid mistake!

Hi LG,

So you don't have time to order the right one?

Tough luck, LG :(. My commiserations. Any chance the examining bods will make allowances for the situation?

Hi LG,
One other thing that may catch you out is that the RP2B uses a micro SD card not a normal one.

Les.

OUCH, thanks les, I had put everything on a normal card!! I think some of the normal cards I have are micro SD in adapters, I will need to check. I am still no fan of Arduino but have to admit the pi offers some amazing capability.

The PI offers the chance to do some pretty cool stuff, once I am submitted I will give a few details. We get marked pretty quick so I should get it back fairly quickly, I can then post some pics and details.

LG. Re. Conversation:
upload_2016-1-16_14-41-4.png

Yeah thats a common problem with forms, but it wasnt the original issue I had. When tethering you sometimes get odd blocks popping up! seems a good site for the cards though, ultimate aim would be a non USB hard drive :D

Wow thats a bummer, I guess it happens sometimes, hope you can work it out some how buddy.

Wow thats a bummer, I guess it happens sometimes, hope you can work it out some how buddy.
Yes all sorted mate, I will need to pay close attention next time to how things get numbered!

To be fair the PI numbering systems is a bit misleading,

PI1
PI1A
Pi B
Pi B 2
PI B+ 2.
Unless you get a decent picture online to count the usb ports, if a seller just puts new PI B for sale you dont know its actually the revised version of the origanal PI with the much slower processor and less I/O and only 2 usb ports and no camera ports.

Not blaming Pi but sellers need to be more accurate IMHO.
Anyway problem solved, except the agro swapping code from sd to micro sd, shame the didnt keep this a standard size, I hate micro sd!! drop them and they are a nightmare to find on a dark messy bedroom carpet :D

Yes all sorted mate, I will need to pay close attention next time to how things get numbered!

To be fair the PI numbering systems is a bit misleading,

PI1
PI1A
Pi B
Pi B 2
PI B+ 2.
Unless you get a decent picture online to count the usb ports, if a seller just puts new PI B for sale you dont know its actually the revised version of the origanal PI with the much slower processor and less I/O and only 2 usb ports and no camera ports.

Not blaming Pi but sellers need to be more accurate IMHO.
Anyway problem solved, except the agro swapping code from sd to micro sd, shame the didnt keep this a standard size, I hate micro sd!! drop them and they are a nightmare to find on a dark messy bedroom carpet :D

They should have a chart or spreadsheet for the versions.
Beware some of the stuff on ebay are cheep knock offs.
Looking forward to seeing your project.
They started making the small SD cards for cell phones and stuff.
Everything gets smaller and smaller, it hard for my old eyes to see some of the stuff now.
Be careful of the carpet it can zap your SD card.

Last edited:
They should have a chart or spreadsheet for the versions.
Beware some of the stuff on ebay are cheep knock offs.
Looking forward to seeing your project.
They started making the small SD cards for cell phones and stuff.
Everything gets smaller and smaller, it hard for my old eyes to see some of the stuff now.
Be careful of the carpet it can zap your SD card.

I hate to admit this in public but................ The chances of anything actually touching the carpet are NIL!! First it would need to travel through the layer of clothes I hang up on the carpet, then it would need to burrow through the assorted discarded crumpled paper with my scribbles on (also known as home work), and finally it needs to get through the protect layer of dust I have painstakingly built up on it over time.

Think Tracey whats her name the artist and her bedroom artwork she did :D.

I hate to admit this in public but................ The chances of anything actually touching the carpet are NIL!! First it would need to travel through the layer of clothes I hang up on the carpet, then it would need to burrow through the assorted discarded crumpled paper with my scribbles on (also known as home work), and finally it needs to get through the protect layer of dust I have painstakingly built up on it over time.

Think Tracey whats her name the artist and her bedroom artwork she did :D.

Actually this is completely untrue! my bedroom is spotless and I dont live like a tramp! The mold in one mug is purely an experiment and not because I was too lazy to go wash it up.
I would love to post a pic of my spotless bedroom but its so clean it throws the white balance on the camera so far off the pics all come out white!!

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Oh ok I am a tramp, I now feel so bad I am going to wash the mug up.....................one day

Actually this is completely untrue! my bedroom is spotless and I dont live like a tramp! The mold in one mug is purely an experiment and not because I was too lazy to go wash it up.
I would love to post a pic of my spotless bedroom but its so clean it throws the white balance on the camera so far off the pics all come out white!!

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Oh ok I am a tramp, I now feel so bad I am going to wash the mug up.....................one day
Hay don't wash it up for us! I just have this image of the tipical teenagers bedroom with electronics thrown in and it's all good.
I think we need to start a thread to show off our work spaces!

Ok I am handing it in tomorrow!! There is a bug but it wont matter, I messed with the home lan and couldnt get the PI to SSH at the last try grrr, so the latest code wasnt added, dosnt matter it was mainly a few tweaks. I am more wanting to get it back and start on the MK2!!

In other news...........................

My mum been acting odd last week or two, little things like not getting the bud into the village twice a week to go to church and see her friend, No popcorn on TV night last night??? No snacks in the house??? I put it down to the fact she fights for every penny and is having a rough week or so.

Then today I find out where the £12 version of AOE went!! It was sat on my bed tonight :O. Man considering the description and price I would expect a car crash version ripped and torn, its new, with one blank back page missing and the smallest dent in the world on the spine!! Apart from that mint condition, I take back the review I quoted, the paper is thinner but its a much bigger book than the other versions, the quality of paper is good and the print superb!!

I will post pics tomorrow as I dont have access to the camera today, I will also do a review of the book. The worlds greatest mum!! Gave up her bus trips etc to get the book, I didnt ask for it but last week when I saw it cheap on Amazon I was telling her how some lucky so and so would be getting a bargain!! Apparently pleased so far with my pre lim results she treated me :D.
She is aware of my love of books and the amount of time I spend trawling the second hand shops etc for books.

The other copy I have and thought was second I actually now think is the first version, its black and dosnt say second. Not that it matters, so some serious reading this weekend.

My project should be marked Friday with luck, I have to demo it in the morning. Fingers crossed! Once I get it back I will tell you what it is and does, the MK2 is for the other exam so I wont give details on what I am changing.

I got second English paper back today..................nough said!

Best of luck (and talent) on the demo, LG!

I'm sure she's very proud of you.
A tad less so after my last English paper result :sorry:, but I think its well understood my strengths dont lay in the command of my native language. Thanks for the wishes, I am nervous as anything!! I am more worried the smoke pellets wont work correctly :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back