Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

still off school and fed up :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway, I was a kid, on my parents' plan and I had 4 teeth removed in the hospital (a day and a half stay). The cost to my parents' was $0.50. Yes, 50 cents. The plan did not cover the hospital band that you got when you were admitted.

My wife recently found her original certificate of birth and the hospital bill. The total was something like $39.00. :) Then too that was 1947.

Overall I am happy with the plan we now have. Most of the people at work as we near retirement are getting things fixed. Hell, may as well get things needing done fixed now while we have a good plan. At 62 other than a few problems I have been fortunate.

Ron

Back in the day, before the evolution of financing everything, you could only charge what something was worth; something was only worth what someone was willing to pay for it, which was usually limited to how much they had. Now you can get whatever you want, just by signing on a line, so they can charge whatever they want, and you'll pay it (some day). Boiled frog, they charge a little more every year, no drastic hikes, and nobody complains much. On top of the evolution of finance is the evolution of insurance. They charge a little more every year for the insurance every year too. Every year the doctors cost more, so your insurance goes up to cover the difference, and in turn the doctors have a little more room to charge a little more, so insurance goes up again, and so forth. In other countries (I will use the Philippines again, as I know what I'm talking about in that country) they are, I'd say, about 50 years behind us in the evolutions of these things. For the most part, things aren't financed. You pay for medical bills out of pocket, and hence the doctors and pharmacies can only charge as much as people keep in their wallets. If you think it's subpar "3rd world" medical care, consider that the Philippines' hottest export to the U.S. is medical professionals. Next time you're in the hospital, look around, count how many filipinos you see. Now, there are some subpar medical institutions there - you have to do your homework before you go somewhere. I've been recommending people go there for medical & dental work; in a lot of cases, it really is more cost effective to fly over there and get your work done.

Americans keep talking about PAYING for insurance or PAYING for medical care.

I don't need insurance since the Canadian government pays for most health care. Since I am retired then my government pays me pretty good old age benefits and all my medications are free.

In Canada I pay for the dentist since I am retired and don't have benefits at work anymore that payed for the dentist.

alright, got it.

BTW nothing's free. Someone is paying for all the benefits you receive.

I think it's paid by taxes, but fewer things are taxed in other countries than in America. Getting "free" health care here in the US would mean more taxes (an unbearable amount), but in other countries there are fewer taxes in general. Just a theory, but it would make sense.

Someone is paying for all the benefits you receive.
I do not want to start an argument about why America spends a fortune in all its wars instead of for health care.
Canada assists America in its wars but Canada also takes care of its citizens.
Aren't there many unemployed (lazy) Americans? Lots of poverty in slums?
Unemployment in Canada is very low. There is not much poverty in Canada (but maybe Native Indians).

I do not want to start an argument about why America spends a fortune in all its wars instead of for health care.
Canada assists America in its wars but Canada also takes care of its citizens.
Aren't there many unemployed (lazy) Americans? Lots of poverty in slums?
Unemployment in Canada is very low. There is not much poverty in Canada (but maybe Native Indians).

I love my country, but I must say I think it's gone downhill over the past decade. Unemployment has shot up, productivity has gone way down, and I don't think it has anything to do with immigrants, like some people think. People have just become picky about what jobs they want, and think that if they can't get them, then they'll just wait for it to open up. A lot of Americans do tend to be lazy, and don't take initiative. They also spend money on garbage that isn't necessary, such as computer games, netflix, and cigarettes. That's only part of it, but it's a glimpse at my view of where this country has gone.

I don't mean any offense to anyone, and I apologize if this hurt anyone's feelings.

I think we're going a bit off the original topic. Perhaps the mods could move this discussion regarding politics to a different thread?

But if we started using tax money to help our citizens, who would pay all the defense contractors, and who would fight everybody's wars for them? [/sarcasm]

Yes, I agree, if we stopped spending all of our money on the military then we would have more left over for medical bills. But that will never happen with the government that has evolved here. Our elected officials have legalized themselves to receive bribes, so it matters not who elected them, their policies will always favor the highest bidder. Defense contractors, financial institutions, and the medical industry have this country by the balls, and will continue to have it by the balls until the revolution.
Until then, (I'll be honest, personally) it's irritating when people "rub it in" (repeatedly) about how they have it better. Like when you can't afford anything but a 20y/o unreliable rustbucket car, and every time your neighbor sees you outside working on it, they stop by to gloat about all the nice creature comforts and warranty options that their shiny new Mercedes has.

just to let you know LG woke this morning not feeling too good and had a bit of a tempreture but nothing too bad, by 4pm he was sweating and feeling sick so in the car he went and we drove him the 1 1/2 hrs to our local hospital only to be told he had a cold and it was nothing to do with his tonsills!!! after a somewhat heated discussion between myself and the doctor a consultant came and had a look at logan who at this point was vomitting alot sweating badly and a very high temp!
approx 3 mins later the consultant had him on a trolley and on his way to the theatre, to cut the short he had developed a bad infection of the tonsills that had started to progress into scepteciema anyway operation was sucessful and he is ok and should be home in a day or two. :D:D

just to let you know LG woke this morning not feeling too good and had a bit of a tempreture but nothing too bad, by 4pm he was sweating and feeling sick so in the car he went and we drove him the 1 1/2 hrs to our local hospital only to be told he had a cold and it was nothing to do with his tonsills!!! after a somewhat heated discussion between myself and the doctor a consultant came and had a look at logan who at this point was vomitting alot sweating badly and a very high temp!
approx 3 mins later the consultant had him on a trolley and on his way to the theatre, to cut the short he had developed a bad infection of the tonsills that had started to progress into scepteciema anyway operation was sucessful and he is ok and should be home in a day or two. :D:D

Woah, poor guy :eek::(

Thanks for the update Gman. I hope he recovers quickly! Give him my best.

Regards

Give the Lil' Ghostman our best and best wishes for a speedy recovery. I don't get it? You have a child cooking with vomiting tossed in and in even my non medical mind that says severe infection, it does not say a common or severe cold? I just fail to understand sometimes. Anyway, glad the Lil' Ghostman is now OK and recovering. I like that kid. :)

Ron

Yep, good luck to the lil' Ghostman. I remember my tonselectomy too. I was put to sleep in those days with Ether with a screen mask. I also remember waking up in what appeared to be a closet and I called mom at 3:00 am in the morning and don't forget the ice cream and Jello. But I was about 6 years old.

The bit I hated when taking any of my two to the hospital.... Is the feeling that "You're wasting our time" comes over you... It's possibly not their fault.... sometimes A&E is packed solid and they try to turn round patients too quickly, other times they have all the time in the world for you...

Anyway... Give him ALL our bests....

P.S. Smart for a little 11 year old though...... Is it in the blood Ghostman!!!

Last edited:
approx 3 mins later the consultant had him on a trolley and on his way to the theatre, to cut the short he had developed a bad infection of the tonsills that had started to progress into scepteciema anyway operation was sucessful and he is ok and should be home in a day or two.

hi Jason,
Very pleased to hear that you were not fobbed off by a A&E Doctor and insisted on a second professional opinion.

Almost every day we see news reports where children have died needlessly due to misdiagnosis.

Give Logan my best for a speedy recovery...;)

Eric

thanand just wasnt readks all for the wishes i will pass them on :D as for the smart's being genetic they probaly are but he gets it off the wife lol. Rachel is a EX Nurse so i stood my ground but he tried hard to make me feel like a overprotective father! Rachel couldnt take Logan with me as we also have a daughter thats nearly 3 and isnt well as she has chicken pox!!! the bit that annoyed me was he hadnt been qualified long and didnt want to listen to reason. anyway its all sorted now. we are off to see him later today so will pass the messages on cheers everyone

All the best to LG ghostman.

The UK has its fair share of ignorant people - usually new on the job! Also Derstrom, we get taxed far more in the UK than the US (or so I am led to believe). Petrol is about £1.35 a litre or $10.59 a gallon :mad:

Also Derstrom, we get taxed far more in the UK than the US (or so I am led to believe). Petrol is about £1.35 a litre or $10.59 a gallon :mad:

So I heard, Rich. But in my post I didn't mean we were taxed more for things, I said we were taxed for more things :p;)

i meant to do a update! he is home :D a bit sore and will be off school untill next week (erm unless there is a holiday i am not sure:eek:) i am sure come tommorow he will be back online lol :p i know he has a list of question he wrote down in hospital lmao

As the token single payer advocate, i have to agree with AG. The US system is being "gamed" by everyone.
Here are some wiki numbers:

In 2006, per-capita spending for health care in Canada was US$3,678; in the U.S., US$6,714. The U.S. spent 15.3% of GDP on health care in that year; Canada spent 10.0%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back