Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

still off school and fed up :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

large_ghostman

Most Helpful Member
hi i am still off school with my tonsills and now the doctor wants me to goto hospital next week to see someone about having them out as they are getting an infection and the syrup they gave me isnt working :( i want to get back to school to see how the others are doing with there bots!!! i dont have many weeks left untill competition but my teacher spoke to dad and said i can get him to drop it off at school and she will enter it for me but i want to do it
sorry going to moan
moan moan moan
feels a bit better now :D

When I lived in the Philippines I had to have my tonsils removed, emergency style. I had a sore throat one day and the next day my tonsils were touching, closing off my windpipe. Tried taking antibiotics, no use. Luckily I wasn't in America where if you need surgery and don't have insurance, you have to pay an arm, 2 legs, and pledge Droit du seigneur of your first born daughter.

Here in Canada when my tonsils (and later my appendix) became infected then I had them removed in a hospital at no charge since government medical insurance paid. The insurance also paid for fixing a broken arm, an ankle bone spur and part of cataracts surgery for my eyes. I paid extra for "deluxe" lenses in my eyes so I can see good stuff that normal vision cannot see.

3 years ago I had a heart attack and the government medical insurance paid for two "stents" inside my heart arteries in an operation that saved my life. Now I am absolutely normal and I can run, jump and act stupid like younger people.:)

Don't spread that around too much or you'll have the same problem we have - mass influx of illegal immigrants from the south. Then your country won't be able to keep up with demand for free healthcare.

In Canada we get boatloads of dead Oriental people on our western shores. They don't get free health care. They were crazy to pay a fortune to die on a boat.

Most people in Canadian hospital emergency wards are people from India with a simple cold or simple cut that they never had in India. I think they are fixed for free even if they are not Canadians. When I had a heart attack I stumbled past them all in the lineup.

Hi Lil' Ghostman, sorry to hear about the tonsil problem. At 62 I still have mine but my sister had her's removed when she was about your age. I remember how time and time again she would develop repeated occurrences of acute tonsillitis until they were finally removed. The nice part is when we were kids after having a tonsillectomy they would feed you ice cream. :)

Too bad you are way over in the UK as for the sum of ten dollars (USD) and a bottle of wine I would do the surgery. :)

Seriously, I hope all goes well with your project and if they remove the tonsils you are back in school quickly.

Ron

Hi Lil' Ghostman, sorry to hear about the tonsil problem. At 62 I still have mine but my sister had her's removed when she was about your age. I remember how time and time again she would develop repeated occurrences of acute tonsillitis until they were finally removed. The nice part is when we were kids after having a tonsillectomy they would feed you ice cream. :)

Too bad you are way over in the UK as for the sum of ten dollars (USD) and a bottle of wine I would do the surgery. :)

Seriously, I hope all goes well with your project and if they remove the tonsils you are back in school quickly.

Ron
i get the surgery free ;) i hope you would drink the wine after and not just before :D ive had this for 2 years now but its finaly got bad enough the docs want to sort it out my project is coming along ok just a few technical problems to solve but nothing too bad yet

I wonder how much healthier we would be if our tonsils were huge and could combat all the viruses and infections that we are exposed to.
Maybe then our huge tonsils must be carried on a bus.

hi i am still off school with my tonsills and now the doctor wants me to goto hospital next week to see someone about having them out as they are getting an infection and the syrup they gave me isnt working :( i want to get back to school to see how the others are doing with there bots!!! i dont have many weeks left untill competition but my teacher spoke to dad and said i can get him to drop it off at school and she will enter it for me but i want to do it
sorry going to moan
moan moan moan
feels a bit better now :D

Hi,

Very sorry to hear about that. I hope you can get going again soon and get your project going too.

I am wishing you the best of luck.

Sincerely,
Mr Al

I have found that by growing up out in the country I am considerably more resilient in comparison to people who grew up in the cities.

I swam in the stream and drank the water, run bare foot through the barn yard, and have about 20 scars that all probably should have all been stitched up when they happened but never were.

I know city people who will wear a band-aid for two weeks for a cut that barely even bled. I don't even consider a band-aid unless the cut hasn't stopped bleeding after a day or two and even then its usually just wrap it in toilet paper and some electrical tape or duct tape to plug the hole. :eek:

Heck if you were a real country boy you would have taken your tonsils out with a utility knife and cauterized the holes with a red hot nail over lunch period then went back to class for the rest of the day.:p

Hey LG. I really hope you get better soon, and that the surgery goes well. You're awfully young to be having problems like that, IMO :p

It's been good having you here frequently over the past few weeks though. I hope you can visit often when you're back at school too, though ;)

Best wishes,
Der Strom

Last edited:
Isn't it true that ordinary people are a bunch of wimps today?
The hospital Emegency is full of people with a simple cold or cut.

I had a heart attack at home and I knew that something was seriously wrong since I could barely breathe and the pain in my heart was very strong.
They fixed me and now I am fine. I can run, jump and act stupid like ordinary pepole.:D

They fixed me and now I am fine. I can run, jump and act stupid like ordinary pepole.:D

Hmm, do you think you're developing Alzheimers too? Pretty sure you just said that :D:rolleyes:

Hmm, do you think you're developing Alzheimers too? Pretty sure you just said that

Perhaps he did a bit too much running and jumping around trees with low heavy branches or upside down rakes laying in the yard and took a few too many blows to the head? :eek:

Or maybe the Canadian heath care system used air jets to break up the plugs in his heart (sort of like blowing out a garden hose for the winter) and few bubbles went too far north? :p

It is fun to do stupid things occasionally. It is sad to be stupid all the time.

Two of the arteries that feed my heart became blocked with cholesterol (but I am not fat and I ate well all my life) and caused a heart attack. During the Angioplasty operation at the hospital they didn't blast it along with air but instead inserted a metal mesh cylinder over the cholesterol and expanded it with a balloon. Usually only one artery is done at one time but my doctor did both one after the other. They were fixed soon so there was no damage to my heart. The very painful heart attack lasted about 1 hour.

It cost me $14.40 for renting the telephone in my hospital room since everything else was paid my the government medical plan.
Now I take 5 drugs: reduce blood pressure, slow down the beating of my heart, reduce cholesterol and reduce clotting of my blood. The government old age plan pays for them.

You know we are just jealous that you can get that done for $14.40. :eek:

My grandpa went through a similar thing about three years ago. I think even with insurance he probably shelled out around $50K or more. :mad:

It is fun to do stupid things occasionally. It is sad to be stupid all the time.

Two of the arteries that feed my heart became blocked with cholesterol (but I am not fat and I ate well all my life) and caused a heart attack. During the Angioplasty operation at the hospital they didn't blast it along with air but instead inserted a metal mesh cylinder over the cholesterol and expanded it with a balloon. Usually only one artery is done at one time but my doctor did both one after the other. They were fixed soon so there was no damage to my heart. The very painful heart attack lasted about 1 hour.

It cost me $14.40 for renting the telephone in my hospital room since everything else was paid my the government medical plan.
Now I take 5 drugs: reduce blood pressure, slow down the beating of my heart, reduce cholesterol and reduce clotting of my blood. The government old age plan pays for them.

While my medical degree is actually Amateur OB-GYN with a focus on GYN my understanding is the arteries take or carry blood away from the heart. The arteries deliver the oxygen-rich blood to the capillaries where the actual exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide occurs. The capillaries then deliver the waste-rich blood to the veins for transport back to the lungs and heart. So it is the veins that return or take blood to the heart. That is my story and I am sticking to it. So how do your arteries "feed" the heart?

I also do heart surgery on the side and as I told Lil' Ghostman my fee for tonsils ins ten bucks and a bottle of wine my fee for heart surgery is ten bucks (USD), a bottle of wine and a hooker.

Matter of fact I am considering doing open heart surgery part time after I retire. That or gun smithing, I haven't decided yet.

Ron

You know we are just jealous that you can get that done for $14.40. :eek:

My grandpa went through a similar thing about three years ago. I think even with insurance he probably shelled out around $50K or more. :mad:

My dad just had 2 stint put in his legs. simple surgery, took <30min I believe. After insurance, he payed >20,000$.
It's really getting out of hand. I just took my wife to the dentist to get 2 root canals, & 2 crowns. It was >8,000$ with no insurance. Thankfully I had insurance, so was able to get away with paying only 1,400$. My wife had the same thing done in the Philippines when we lived there, and it was <200$. If she had one more bum tooth, it would have been more cost effective to fly her to the other side of the planet to have her teeth fixed by a superstar dentist than to have it done here by a mediocre one.

Must be about 4 years ago I had a few disk in my neck repaired. They used bone from my hip and went in through the front. This involved a three day hospital stay and carried a price tag of close to 100K (USD) when all was said and done. While on medical leave from work I got a nice surprise 4K bonus that was taxed 25% leaving 3K. The deductible for the surgery was 3K. I looked at my wife and said, Oh well, easy come and easy go. The 3K is the max annual deductible on my health care plan. Fortunately it is a pretty good medical, dental and vision plan. My employer pays about 13K a year for that benefit plan. Yeah, in the US health care is an expensive proposition.

Ron

Way back when in the US when healthcare worked. It was a straight 80/20 system for the most part with no inflated charges by either party. Now, it depends on what class your in, how much you get charged. Poor, no insurance - usually free. Not poor, no insurance an arm and a leg. Member of group X- your provider's charge is discounted.

Anyway, I was a kid, on my parents' plan and I had 4 teeth removed in the hospital (a day and a half stay). The cost to my parents' was $0.50. Yes, 50 cents. The plan did not cover the hospital band that you got when you were admitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back