1. Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
    Dismiss Notice

Stepper motor for wind!

Discussion in 'Renewable Energy' started by Wond3rboy, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Bugster61

Bugster61 New Member

steppers?

I know this going to sound bad, but everyone keeps talking steppers for small generators.....My question is which ones?....I deal with nothing but DC steppers....I am assuming you guys are talking about ac steppers...cause why would you rectify a dc stepper to dc...seems odd......Can DC steppers be used for generating..something?..Cause in my world dc steppers are a dime a dozen in price compared to ac steppers

Thanks, Bugster61:eek:

2. Nigel Goodwin

Nigel Goodwin Super Moderator Most Helpful Member

They are talking about DC steppers - although really there's no such thing, because the process of stepping them means you're providing AC to them anyway.

3. Grossel

Grossel Member

ac/dc - wich one is right?

Partly agree. If using unipolar you need AC, or can provide "sort of ac" with a H-bridge.

Steppers with 5 or 6 wires can be run using only 4 simple driver transistors to run them. Logic circuit also of course.

But smooth movement needs sort of AC. Or can say need an DA converter in adition to controller. But it's AC only when the stepper moves. When it stop, it's not AC no more.

4. dave

Dave New Member

5. be80be

be80be Well-Known Member

I don't know about the rest of you but every stepper i have tried puts out Ac three phase Ac.

Now on the name tag it will say DC stepper but you get AC

6. Nigel Goodwin

Nigel Goodwin Super Moderator Most Helpful Member

Only bi-polar needs an h-bridge.

Yes, creating AC to power the motor.

In many ways it's no different to a brushed DC motor, just that you're replacing the brushes with electronics. The brushes work as a syncronous 'rectifier', effectively creating AC from the DC, and (as a generator) creating DC from the AC.

7. LinearBurn

LinearBurn New Member

I’ve thought a bought using a centrifugal clutch for wind power it would serve 2 purposes i as a flywheel and second a cut off at high wind to slow the turbine as speed increases the pads smash in to the drum breaking the turbine what you think?

8. LinearBurn

LinearBurn New Member

btw i got a 3 phase 5hp indrustral pump motor rated for 408v can i make a generator out of this? i think its a pm but if its not i heard somthing abought using a capasitor on one phase to get 2 phase power? is that the case

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010