Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Star Field Using Fiber Optics/Power Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent S

I'm installing fiber optic fibers in a lunar space mural to create the effect of stars. Since starting, I've learned the material I'm using, particularly the light source, is really meant for small model projects and is not ideal for what I'm doing. I feel commited to finishing it this way and know in the future there is a better way. The light source is one white bright LED connected to 2 AA batteries. The battery holder provided with the other material has worked fine but I would like to give it a more professional look. See the attached. Each battery holder pictured has been replaced with gang boxes to house the led, battery holder with a push button switch installed in a wall plate. The push button switch seems to be causing the batteries to overheat. It works fine when left on but when turned off the batteries heat up to the point where the plastic battery holder begins to melt. The push button is a SPST Push-On-Off "Soft Feel Switch (contacts rated 3A at 125 VAC) See the second attachment for what I put together. What can I do to make this work properly? Thanks for taking a look at this for me.

Attachments

• light source.jpg
    light source.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 135
  • light source rev.jpg
    light source rev.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 128
Your switch is shorting out the battery when it's in the closed (on) position. When it's open (off), the short is removed and the LED can turn on. Take both of the white wires off the switch and connect them together. Then move one black wire from the switch terminal they're connected to and connect it to the other terminal. You should now have one black wire connected to one switch terminal, the other black wire connected to the other switch terminal and the white wires connected together and not connected to the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back