Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sound Art Project Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wannabeafrog

Hello,

I'm working on a project that involves multiple oscillators (7), with different frequencies, amplitudes and phases that change over time with a specific sequence, all this going out through a single channel audio output. This is has been programmed in Max/MSP for a Sound Art installation, but for the sake of visual and startup simplicity, I would like to get rid of the computer. I wonder how possible is to have these kind of processes (7 oscillators, phase drive, amplitude controls) automatized within some PCB/Arduino/Ohter gear and skip the computer part, how much in materials would this kind of project cost (an estimate), and if anyone out there would be interested in working on this kind of project or giving advice.

If anyone is interested in a job like this please contact me at info@albatriana.com, a professional profile would be best.

Thanks in advance,

Alba Triana
www.albatriana.com

Last edited:
If the requirements are simply 7 oscillators following a programmed sequence of phase/frequency/amplitude, summing to give an audio output, then the solution can be very cheap. A Tiva C Launchpad (https://www.ti.com/tool/ek-tm4c123gxl), with a wolfson 24-bit/192kHz DAC (**broken link removed**) can give you a HQ audio output, and parts come in at under $15. You'll need to mount the DAC on a PCB of some sort though, and you may wish to add some buffer amplifiers to the DAC output.

Is there any reason you don't just record the sound you want and play it back using an MP3 player?

Hello Dougy,

Thanks for your answer. The MP3 idea is actually a good one and I feel like a fool for not having thought of it earlier. Theres one thing tho, this is the first work of a series of pieces, and for the next ones I would need the 7 oscillators system, since eventually I will need the variables (amp/phase/freq) to behave according to some stochastic parameters, then the audio sequence won't do the trick.

I'm gonna check the parts you just linked, it seems very interesting. I'd still would like to hire someone for this job since (as you may notice) I don't really know much about electronics.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back