Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SOLVE THIS!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
in a circuit two resistors each of 2 Ω is connected in parallel to a cell such that a current of 1.2 Amps flows through it now when those same two resistors are connected in series a current of 0.4 Amps is detected in the ammeter.(taking resistance of wire as zero)calculate
1)internal resistance of cell
2)EMF of cell
GOOD LUCK:)!!!!!!

What about the ammeter, do we ignore its resistance as well.

JimB

I suspect there are different understandings of the English -- subject verb agreement and such. This is how I understood the description:
upload_2016-2-10_8-57-27.png

R3=battery internal resistance. The current is current through the battery. How about posting your answer hidden as spoiler? Since ammeter resistance wasn't mentioned, I assumed one was not in the circuit. That is, it was a Hall or similar type ammeter.

John

I got the same answer as John.

I would like to use the "Spoiler" option to show how I worked it out.
How is the "spoiler" option used ?

Les.

R is the internal resistance of the cell. V is the cell EMF

1.2 = V/(R+1) so V = 1.2(R+1)

0.4 = V/R+4) so V = 0.4(R+4)

So 1.2(R+1) = 0.4(R+4)

1.2R + 1.2 = 0.4R +1.6
1.2R - 0.4R = 1.6 - 1.2
0.8R = 0.4
R = 0.4/0.8
R = 0.5

V = 1.2R +1.2 = 0.6 + 1.2
V = 1.8

Thanks John.

Les.

I just tried it. I'm sure we could use the other bbcodes as well.
Lets' give it a try:
  • Bullet 1
  • Bullet 2
  1. Entry 1
  2. Entry 2
Left-aligned​
Center-aligned​
Right-aligned​

A bit of a thread hijack going on here, Dick Turpin would be pleased.

JimB

I thought there would have been more people answering the question. It would have been interesting to see the methods used.

Les.

Sim'ed it.
upload_2016-2-11_8-41-54.png

Sadly, "bit-banged" the values until I got the answer... :banghead:.

I thought there would have been more people answering the question. It would have been interesting to see the methods used.

Les.
Same as you ( even though the question was written down wrong ) For 1.4A and 0.4A it was correct!!

Les Jones My solution was very similar to yours. I just wrote the equations for each case, equated them, and solved for one variable. Then substituted to get the other variable.
I would have shown my work, but I am terrible with LaTex.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back