Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Snow day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought everything was bigger and better in Texas?, don't you get 20 feet of snow a week?

Not when it comes to snow...wind, and heat on the other hand.

How hot does it get in the summer there in Derbyshire?

It was 70F here today, and about the same yesterday when I went to the range. I only managed to shoot through half of my ammo before the sun started causing me some glare - there wasn't a cloud in the sky.

Texas is actually really nice in the spring. Although it's still technically winter ;)

This is what we get for living near the Great Lakes and having Canada as a neighboring country, sending her Alberta Clippers our way as they pick up moisture off the lakes, dumping huge amounts of snow.

I take it you live on the left side of Pennsylvania, maybe towards the top?

I am in Ohio.

well its back to 43C in shade over here and still all the oldies are dropping dead and the morges are overflowing. Power shedding is rampant to all those poor suckers on the grid. good ol' victoria and nsw are on fire but luckily over here no major fires. To say the weather is getting weird is one thing but whats even worse the bloddy kiwi's beat us in cricket. Now that confirms this is one weird summer.

Cheers Bryan

but whats even worse the bloddy kiwi's beat us in cricket. Now that confirms this is one weird summer.

Ahem...........

Attachments

• 92dbb2d745264a71a5555ba297ddce4b.jpg
    92dbb2d745264a71a5555ba297ddce4b.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 242
  • 8354d5eeb5544589858b26d0cccceec5.jpg
    8354d5eeb5544589858b26d0cccceec5.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 225
Well don't say I didn't warn you Nigel. :D

Summer here is low 20s C but the heatwave of 2003 brought temperatures up to the mid 30s in most places and it got to 38C in London. It was just as bad as the snow, the trains stopped running, tarmac melted, old people and trees died. The good side was a bumper crop of grapes and olive trees which are hardy in the south but don't normally give much fruit here gave a decent crop.

I must've been six the last time it snowed like this here, the only trouble is this time I can't enjoy it because of my bad ankle.:(

Second day off work this week for snow, although today is my day off anyway :p

Went a walk in the snow, here's a picture from the end of our road looking down the hill. The headlights coming up the hill were a Landrover, with the biggest chunky tires you ever did see - obviously out for a play!.

You get a day off for that measly small amount of snow? :)

Where I live, 2 *feet* of snow doesnt shut anything down. I am also near Great lakes as HiTech was mentioning. The lake can be one giant snow generator. It takes about 2 or 3 good snow dumps before I start wishing for spring.

Last edited:
I am also by the great lakes. The only nice thing about it being 10-20 F outside is the lake freezes over and the lake effect snow stops.

I spent about 2 hours last night shoveling 2-3 feet of snow off part of my roof. Getting too much ice buildup in the gutters and its causing water to leak into the bay window.
**broken link removed**

It should be warm this weekend, I'm hoping most of the ice will melt.

A new roof is definitly on the summer to-do list.

Most of the snow to the Great Lakes area comes from the Gulf of Mexico. The moisture dumps rain on Texas then freezes up North.
Alberta clippers have high winds and do not last long so they do not dump much snow.

I am in a suburb of Toronto. Lake effect snow is further North and Buffalo New York to the South gets hammered with a lot of snow.

Summertime in the Great Lakes:

It's not the heat, it's the humidity.

Wintertime in the Great Lakes:

It's not the snow, it's the cold!

Lake effect snow is from cold air over the warm lake which raises dewpoint and infuses warm air with water. Hits land, warming effect of lake stops, dewpoint lowers then you get snow, lots of it.

As the prevailing winds are West to East, if you live East of Cleveland about 10-30 miles from the lake, you get tons of this stuff.

The bottom line is that you don't see much snow from a clipper North of the lakes, but a very few of us in the "snow belt" South and East of the lakes do. Three feet at my house, 20 miles South and the roads are clear.

I would have to say that most of our nice weather comes from the West Coast, but when you get something churning down in the Gulf, we are going to get wet in about a week. So I agree with you except for "lake effect" which is probably different because because we live on different sides of the lake.

Thank you all for reinforcing my justification for staying in this high cost of living area.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
If I remember my geography rightly, it doesn't rain in south eastern Australia all summer so they'll have to wait for a month or two before it rains.

hi,
Lunch time UK news said 41 dead due to fires/heat.

Hope it rains for SEastern Oz soon.

This is not people that just expired due to the heat. This is people that burnt to death. This is just so horrific. I've never experienced anything like this.

Mike.

This is not people that just expired due to the heat. This is people that burnt to death. This is just so horrific. I've never experienced anything like this.

Mike.

If this is caused by Global warming what on earth will it be like 20 years from now.

Last edited:
Thank you all for reinforcing my justification for staying in this high cost of living area.

**broken link removed**

Having spent a week over in San Clemente, Irvine and Laguna beach area I've fallen in love with CA.

One day when we win the lottery we'll move over.

My brother married a girl from Irvine and is currently living over there and working there after getting citizenship.

If this is caused by Global warming what on earth will it be like 20 years from now.

No, it's not caused by global warming, it's been going on for millenia. The last time this happened (1983) 75 people died but it looks like this could be worse.

North of here we have floods, South of here fires. I'm just waiting for the plague to the West.:eek:

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back