Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Snow day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it's not caused by global warming, it's been going on for millenia. The last time this happened (1983) 75 people died but it looks like this could be worse.

North of here we have floods, South of here fires. I'm just waiting for the plague to the West.:eek:

Mike.

I recall the fires of 1983 in Oz.

If its not being caused by global warming and if its the same general area this time as in 1983, what do you think is the base cause of the problem and a possible prevention/solution.?

Simply, is there anything reasonably that could be done to avoid the deaths and damage.

If this is caused by Global warming what on earth will it be like 20 years from now.

It goes in cycles, and always has - I remember a lady who used to work in the shop here, she went to Greece on holiday about 20 years ago, and it was so hot all they did was stay in her bedroom wrapped in sheets soaked in the bath. During the week she was there deaths from the heat were well in double figures, and included locals not just tourists.

Makes you appreciate the moderate climate we get in the UK :rolleyes:

I would agree the weather patterns are cyclic, but we are repeatedly being told that the planet is warming up and the higher temperatures will generate more energy in the weather.

Deserts are expanding, in China some towns/cities are having problems with sand intrusion.

IIRC the Sahara was 'green' 10,000 years ago.

For ref the Oz fires.
More than 40 feared dead in Australia's 'worst ever' bushfires - Telegraph

There has always been extreme events on all continents. The current snow in UK being an example. This is one such an event but one I find hard to comprehend. Can you imagine a fire that travels through a town at 50kph? We get fires here and have action plans but these current fires are just so intense and fast moving that you can't defend against them. Just very sad.

Mike.

Deserts may be expanding but tropical and temperate areas are also expanding. Areas which were previously too cold to dry to grow food in are becoming more suitable for agriculture.

Take olive trees as mentioned in my previous post, normally summers here are to cool for them to bear fruit but they become laden in hot summers. If the earth's climate heats up by 3 degrees parts the Mediterranean will become too dry for olive cultivation but it won't mean no olives because huge areas of northern Europe will become suitable.

Higher temperatures will also mean higher rainfall - it's a fact. More heat means more evaporation from the sea, land and transpiration from plants.

If it gets 6 degrees warmer (worst case prediction), parts of southern Asia, central America, Africa and Australia might burn up but there's plenty more land in northern Russia, Canada, Greenland and even parts of Antarctica where people will be able to live and easily grow food.

I would agree ref the 'future' temperate zones, but at this time most of the worlds population live in the current temperate zones.

We are going to see major population migration from temperate to 'sub tropical' [ future temperate] ,
I just wonder if the people living in those areas are happy to see us on their doorstep.??

Most major population centres are along the lower lying coastal regions, they will also have to relocate.

Last edited:
There has always been extreme events on all continents. The current snow in UK being an example.

I wouldn't consider the snow we've had recently as 'extreme', it's really pretty minor in the scheme of things.

This is one such an event but one I find hard to comprehend. Can you imagine a fire that travels through a town at 50kph? We get fires here and have action plans but these current fires are just so intense and fast moving that you can't defend against them. Just very sad.

Yes, a very sad combination of circumstances :(

Weirdos and terrorists live in very hot countries. When their countries get hotter then more of them will come to cool Canada?
But plenty of weirdos have already come to Canada. Enough is enough.

Next the lizards and monkeys will come to Canada.

The world will be politically a very different place in 200 years time. There might even be a world union allowing people to freely move from country to country.

When I go to a weird country then I am forced to dress the same as them.
When they come here they are still dressed weird.

The same with language and customs.

Some women are completely covered from the top of their head to the tip of their toes, if they even have any toes. Two small slits for them to try to see what they are driving into. Rediculous.
My neighbour almost got killed when one driving a school bus on the highway got her foot stuck in her costume and drove into him.

Ahh, you must be very old then.

I moved to the very west coast of BC because the climate and temperature is moderate, just like England except we get much more rain.
Another reason: The cars don't rust out in 3 years like they do on the East coast. Back there, they use way too much salt on the roads. Can you imagine having to buy a new automobile every couple of years because the old one turns to rust? It is expensive!

I just can't reconcile in my mind why they don't use another chemical OR make the cars out of another material that does not rust so fast. The yearly salt damage must be in the billions of $.

Last edited:
Old Russian Lada cars rusted out in one year.
Old Volkswagen Beatle cars too.
Old Hyundai cars (their copy of a Fiat old car) too.

New American cars don't rust (except Ford cars do).

Do you like living in Hongcouver? I left when it was still Vancouver.

I moved to the very west coast of BC because the climate and temperature is moderate, just like England except we get much more rain.
Another reason: The cars don't rust out in 3 years like they do on the East coast. Back there, they use way too much salt on the roads. Can you imagine having to buy a new automobile every couple of years because the old one turns to rust? It is expensive!

I just can't reconcile in my mind why they don't use another chemical OR make the cars out of another material that does not rust so fast. The yearly salt damage must be in the billions of $.

hi Bob..
Were running out of rock salt, some areas are using 'table salt' as a stop gap.

One local authority started mixing low grade molasses with the rock so that it will stick to the road.!! Can you imagine how its going stick to your cars under body... all that salt.!

Last edited:
This is not people that just expired due to the heat. This is people that burnt to death. This is just so horrific. I've never experienced anything like this.

Mike.

I know what your saying here. We had a similar situation not too long ago. I think not as bad as Victoria though.

**broken link removed**

Sodium chloride is plentiful and cheap. If they used magnesium chloride in cold countries then since they use a lot of salt many times per winter it would cost a fortune.

Some states in The United States use magnesium chlolide since they don't have much ice and snow.

About the salt comments:

Can they/ do they not use magnesium chloride? Or does this cause corrosion bad also?

In Utah we have a mixture but it's just less damaging to vegetation.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I would assume magnesium chloride is not used because it's too expensive, it would also cause corrosion - any ionic substance will.

I would assume magnesium chloride is not used because it's too expensive, it would also cause corrosion - any ionic substance will.

Hero, are your PM's off. I've been hunting for help in the General Electronics chat and I'm coming up empty handed and no one is responding to my PM's.

kv

Hero, are your PM's off. I've been hunting for help in the General Electronics chat and I'm coming up empty handed and no one is responding to my PM's.

kv

hi KV,
Take another look...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back