Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple music instrument

Status
Not open for further replies.

purplechirin

I'm trying to build this simple music instrument - something like a recorder - that takes in 8 inputs (probably push buttons) and an output - a speaker.

Are there any particular microcontrollers that I could use? Would attiny26 do or is there any other that would better fit the project?

Last edited:
I don't know much about Atmel products, but at first glance it looks like the attiny26 would suffice. I see, however, that Atmel lists the attiny26 as "Not recommended for new designs."

Use eight input pins with eight push buttons to give yourself an 8-bit (256 different notes) input. Other than the mcu and a speaker, you'll need some sort of air pressure sensor if you're thinking a recorder-like breath controller. I've seem some surplus at Electronics Goldmine, but I don't know enough about what they have available to say that it would be good for the purpose. The cheapest alternative to that I can think of would be to modify one of Yamaha's breath controllers. The attiny26 has ample A/D input capabilities for reading an air pressure sensor.

Did you already have some sort of breath control/tone production in mind? I imagine, like PICs, the attiny26 might be capable of sound synthesis, but perhaps some other electronic means of tone production might be in order (i.e. that can be more accurately tuned)?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back