Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sequencial power to capacitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

neo2478

I need to build a circuit tht will power up 44 capacitors in a sequence, one by one. any sugestions??
Oh also, I need them to turn off in the opposite sequence, ie: turn on 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ... and turn off ..., 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.
Would connecting several inductors to each capacitor, with a progressively incrasing inductance work?? Or maybe some kind of logic circuit??
I looked everywhere and couldn't find anything. Somebody help me please.

Perhaps you should tell us EXACTLY what you are trying to do?, it sounds rather strange? - which leads me to suspect that you may be going about it the wrong way?.

yer more info?
if it is low-current flowing into caps - use relays
if higher use FET/IGBT

But this is blind stabbling on what you have provided, alot more info is needed

my god, audioguru said bye to me when I asked him a question about a formula. He probably would say bye to you.

The reason is that what you are trying to do IMO is something absolutely useless!

If you are trying to charge several small capacitors to full charge, why not just add the values of the small caps and use a larger cap?

HI mestecha
How you can say that what Neo is doing is useless? :evil:
There should be some reason then only he has asked the question
Before commenting you should have waited for Neo replies to Nigel's querry

mstechca said:
my god, audioguru said bye to me when I asked him a question about a formula.
You were changing nearly every part of two simple circuits at random.
You were jumping from post to post for the same topic.
Although the projects explained the circuit operation, after we further explained it and offered improvements, you still didn't understand.
You didn't ask about a formula, you asked for the entire design equations of the radio.

Quote Audioguru:
"Bye.
I like to talk about complicated modern circuits that do their job well, not simple fundamental basics that should be learned in an electronics course.
Jumping from this post about ordinary transisors and audio amps then suddenly back over to the super-regen revisited post is the end for me.
This simple super-regen is just a crappy toy."

What i'm trying to do, is to conect 4 el wires (which are basecaly capacitors) and light them one at a time. Each one is going tobe about 2".

The power is going to be provided by a 12v battery connected to a inverter, which transforms the power into AC. The output of the Inverter is going to be in the range of 60 - 100 V AC.

I need the wires to turn on in one sequence and turn off in the opposite sequence.

In another electronics board, someone sugestedthat I used a TTL logic circuit to drive an set of Solid-state Relays.

Any further elaborations??

Thanks again guys, and sorry for the lack of info.

instruite said:
HI mestecha
How you can say that what Neo is doing is useless? :evil:
There should be some reason then only he has asked the question
Before commenting you should have waited for Neo replies to Nigel's querry

Thank you instruite.

neo2478 said:
What i'm trying to do, is to conect 4 el wires (which are basecaly capacitors) and light them one at a time. Each one is going tobe about 2".

The power is going to be provided by a 12v battery connected to a inverter, which transforms the power into AC. The output of the Inverter is going to be in the range of 60 - 100 V AC.

I need the wires to turn on in one sequence and turn off in the opposite sequence.

In another electronics board, someone sugestedthat I used a TTL logic circuit to drive an set of Solid-state Relays.

Any further elaborations??

Thanks again guys, and sorry for the lack of info.

Right! - that's a TOTALLY different story, EL wires are NOT capacitors, very different devices indeed!.

As suggested, solid state relays should be able to switch the lights ON and OFF OK, although I would tend to test one first, as they are generally intended for use at 50/60Hz, rather than the high frequency the inverter runs at.

TTL logic (or CMOS logic) could be used to drive the solid state relays sequentially, or you could use PIC's to do it - PIC's would require less components, but would need programming. If you don't already write PIC software, it's probably not worth learning for a 'one off' project like this. Although if you're planning making more than one it would probably be worth while, simplifying the hardware, and giving you MUCH greater versatility.

You would generally not use a solid state relay for thi

You would generally not need a solid state relay for this. Sequential EL drivers have been done many times this way with a triac.

EL wires are not "capacitors" though they do have capacitance. You're basically ac load switching here.

You need to be aware of how that inverter puts out voltage. Some have an isolated output but it is common they do not, which may complicate how the driver is going to work.

Did he say "light (up) capacitors?" or "light (up) wires?"

I still a little unclear as to what purpose you are serving with this idea.

BUT, if you want to see simplicity, connect a capacitor rated higher than the battery voltage to a battery and keep it connected for about a minute. then disconnect the capacitor. Now you have a temporary battery which lasts (if you are lucky) about 2 minutes. Connect a circuit, or even a simple LED. Look at the polarity on the capacitor or the circuit connected to it will not function properly.

mstechca said:
Did he say "light (up) capacitors?" or "light (up) wires?"

I still a little unclear as to what purpose you are serving with this idea.

BUT, if you want to see simplicity, connect a capacitor rated higher than the battery voltage to a battery and keep it connected for about a minute. then disconnect the capacitor. Now you have a temporary battery which lasts (if you are lucky) about 2 minutes. Connect a circuit, or even a simple LED. Look at the polarity on the capacitor or the circuit connected to it will not function properly.

its a el wire. In the maker's website, it was describd as a capacitor, as there are two parallel wires that make a substace in the middle glow, due to the electric field inside.

Also, could someone be so kind as to provide a diagram for that, as I'm a begginier and do not yet understand much about circuits.

They are wires, yes, but...

EL wires are electroluminiscent wires where the inner core is treated to produce some luminiscence when driven by AC of a certain peak value and a certain frequency.

As somebody said in a post, the are not capacitors but they exhibit a certain capacity.

They well could be balls or plates made from the same material and still work. In fact, they already exist as that.

And don't look too far: your cell phone, most probably will use some of this electroluminiscent material (don't confuse it with a more common LCD panel).

Yes, AC switching is needed. For simple wires, mechanical relays are OK but MOST PROBABLY would be too bulky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back