Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sennheiser Headset jack cable broken

TheMastermind

My trusted GSP350 recently lost connection to it's microphone and sometimes produces static audio. After a bunch a testing I could locate the error to broken/disconnected cables close to or inside the audio jack. I can't replace the whole cable because it has a surround sound dongle on the other side.

My idea is to completely replace the jack with a new one.

- Can I use any audio jack to replace it, or do I need a sennheiser one? (since it has a 5th "ring" on the outside of the jack)
- Do I just solder two cables together, or is there a fitting jack, where I can solder directly to the jack? (and screw a cap on or something)
- Is it possible to reuse the jack, by cutting it open, resoldering and reisolating?
- Basically: Does anyone know if Sennheiser does anything special with their cables or do I just solder a standard 2.5mm 4pin jack onto it?

Best Regards!

Attachments

• Headset_cable_broken.jpg
    Headset_cable_broken.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 82
Last edited:
The issue might be with the cable itself - often they use special extra flexible cable, which is almost like cloth with a sprinkle of copper dust on it - and it's an absolute nightmare to solder.

As for a new plug, all you can do is get one with the same number of connections, and then visually compare them. Historically (with mono and stereo 3.5mm jacks) there used to be Japanese and European variants, where the actual end of the plug was a different profile. If you used the wrong type, there never very reliable - but a visual inspection makes it obvious.

You could always try cutting the existing plug open, and see if you can reuse it - but I've never tried it, and it looks like hard work :D

Thanks for the quick reply!

A super flexy copper dust cable would be out of my ability to repair I guess. >-<

I haven't found any ressources on how sennheiser makes their cables unfortunately.
But I've contacted the support, maybe they can help.

The Epos/Sennheiser support wasn't particularily helpful as my guy thought I wanted to cut and glue the cable xD
Maybe I'll just try cutting stuff open and try to figure it out for myself some time later, when I have proper soldering tools at hand, but I guess the GSP350 has to be retired for now :(

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back