Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Steinberg UR44 Audio Interface No Power

I have a Steinberg UR44 audio interface that I had in storage for a few years, and now that I want to use it doesn't power on. I want to take this opportunity to learn electronics repair so I am trying to repair it for learning experience.

I am looking for guidance on how to proceed with troubleshooting the problem.

I have checked the original power supply with a multi meter and it works.

I visually inspected the PCB board and don't see any issues, except what looks like a possible broken fuse but not sure. I checked it for continuity it reads 97 ohms, but 3 components that light up for a split second when I press the power button on the audio interface when I inspect the PCB board with a thermal camera.

This pictures shows where the power jack is(blue circle), which is right next to the power button, and the barely visible green square shows the area where the 3 components are heating up/lighting up for a split second when inspected with the thermal camera.

I am new to electronics repair, how should I proceed from here in troubleshooting the problem?

Thanks for the help.

Can you post some more close-up photos of that lower right area? The overall view is not sharp enough to see the component IDs, and there look to be parts in the shadow of the case wall?
Here are the pics. One is with the removal board off, the other pic with the board installed. Also included a short thermal vid showing the 3 components heat up for a split second every time I press the power button. You might need to make the vid full screen so that you can see everything going on in the vid.

Sorry, but still too general and fuzzy, the IC type numbers are not readable.

The detail level in the very first small photo was perfect - can you get them that sharp, but for all that lower right area, from the bottom edge to above the power connector, and left as far as the slots in the PCB?

You may need to try different angles for the numbers on the small ICs to be legible.

Sorry, but still too general and fuzzy, the IC type numbers are not readable.

The detail level in the very first small photo was perfect - can you get them that sharp, but for all that lower right area, from the bottom edge to above the power connector, and left as far as the slots in the PCB?

You may need to try different angles for the numbers on the small ICs to be legible.
Sorry for the late reply. I attached the pictures of the PCB board area where the power jack is.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    886.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    970.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 78
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 76
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    1,019.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    1,012.1 KB · Views: 78
Silly thought - is the power switch OK?

With power disconnected, try checking continuity through the switch when its supposed to be ON ?? If the contacts are burned out, it could ne just making contact momentarily as you press it?

Silly thought - is the power switch OK?

With power disconnected, try checking continuity through the switch when its supposed to be ON ?? If the contacts are burned out, it could ne just making contact momentarily as you press it?
Interesting you said that because the LEDs did turn on for a split second when I was messing with the board a few days ago, but it only happened 1 time and it hasn't happened again. I willtest the switch tomorrow and post an update.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back