Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Seems like ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiTech

In the Electronics Projects forum, I've noticed that the favorite threads that draw an infinite amount of attention/response are the Simple Lie Detector, FM Transmitter, and Stun Gun threads. What's does that say for the general character of many electronic hobbyists?

1. Build a powerful, illegal FM xmttr., get caught by the FCC and use a stun gun on the FED at the front door, then lie about it in court.

2. Using an FM xmttr., broadcast your innocence about using a stun gun on an innocent, epileptic neighbor kid and his dog.

3. Lie about building an illegal FM xmttr. that interfered with critical police/fire communications and get zapped by the cops as you resist arrest.

The combinations are many!:rolleyes:

Just like we have an obligation not to enable addicts, junkies, and degenerate gamblers it seems like the corollary should be refusing to enable puerile pranksters intent on inflicting pain and suffering for their own amusement. Or maybe we should just ignore them and let them howl at the moon.

...seems like the corollary should be refusing to enable puerile pranksters intent on inflicting pain and suffering for their own amusement.
I thought you had a high regard for free speech and the right to bear arms in your country, so what's the real problem here - the lie detector? Where do kids these days get off, expecting not to be lied to...

Most of the simple FM transmitters don't work, the lie detector doesn't repond to lies (just sweating) and the "stun gun" is so weak it is a joke.

I think poorly designed inverter circuits also draw a lot of posts.

As of lately, stemming from the Virginia Tech massacre, Congress may need to edit the Second Ammendment to read: the right to responsibly bear arms. And from what I've read, that right was created to allow citizens to protect themselves from a corrupt government with intentions to inflict harm on the citizens (and for hunting food). I support firearm ownership, but I admit that gun control laws keep honest people honest. Perhaps future gun purchases will require the prospective owner to undergo a lie detector test to determine their motive for owning a firearm. The polygraph better be a circuit design that's substantially better than the freebie diagrams offered on the Internet!

Any inteligent person with a knowledge of how lie detector tests work can easily lie during one and get away with it, it is a gimick to fool the person under investigation into giving themselves away, and in no way would be practicle or reliable to use in such a manner as to control firearms.

Hank Fletcher said:
I thought you had a high regard for free speech and the right to bear arms in your country, so what's the real problem here - the lie detector? Where do kids these days get off, expecting not to be lied to...
I believe in both. I'm just saying that even if I knew how to build such circuits I would refrain from responding to whiny entreaties for help.

Mind you, if it were possible to teach a cockroach to use google it could figure it out =)

I'm a little concerned that you're taking my comment too seriously, and yet not over the right part. When are you guys going to get public health care, anyway? We've got the right to stay alive and healthy, you've got the right to shoot someone in the face if you feel like it - I guess it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. If you had health care and the right to bear arms, what would be the point of having a gun anyway, since the victim could just heal himself up and you're right back at square one? How's that whole using-your-gun-for-hunting bit going? We've got a lot of guns in Canada, but not the right to bear one, just the privilege. You've got Life, Liberty, and the Puruit of Happiness. We have Peace, Order, and Good Government - we've found your three things pretty much fall into place after that, except maybe the Pursuit of Happiness. Why pursue what we already have? Maybe the vegetarians down there still want the right to bear arms, just so they can overthrow an unjust government. Yeah. Okay. Let me know how that revolution goes for y'all.

You're not going to help the whiners? Isn't this constitutional lip service? "Alright, says here we can have a gun, and say whatever we want, after that, it's every man for himself." Geez, why don't you just put two bugs in a jar and watch them tear each other apart, instead of 300 million in a country? Everyone has a right to bear arms, so that we're all equal. Kind of reminds of that movie the Incredibles, "When everyone is special, nobody is." But your attitude towards helping out people who are less armed, less literate, and more prone to being lied to says it all - despite your constitution, there will always be someone who has a bigger gun, a bigger mouth, or a bigger lie. It's a fruitless effort.

But wuddayagonnado? Move to Canada, it's great here! Sure it's cold, but if you're already in NY or Michigan, you really oughta ask yourself whether it'd be that big a deal. We've got beer. And jobs. Okay, so you have to put up with the ingredients listed on everything being in both French and English, but the Francophones are great. Arguably the hottest people in Canada come from Quebec. The East Coast folk are the friendliest you'll find anywhere - I went into the gas station today and the milk despenser for the coffee trickled empty, so I made a point of mentioning it to the woman behind the counter. There were like six other people waiting behind me and she was all, "Oh, I'm sorry - did you have enough for your drink?" I was all set and just looking out for the next guy, but everybody there was cool with it, it's just the way people are here, you know, civilized. West Coast has all the high-end real estate, skiing, all kinds of fun and great folk, too. The prairies are, well... flat. But great people again, and Alberta's got its whole oil thing going on like a cute, cold, Texas, and Saskatchewan's the original province of the pride of our nation, our health care system. I've never been to the northern territories, and I don't know if I ever will, but imagine it's pretty much just like Alaska only, you know, Canadian.

Canada - can't hurt to give it a try. I should sell that to our immigration people as a bumper sticker.

Last edited:
Hank. Quick thing about statistics. Numbers matter.
The current US popclock reads out at something like 301+ million
The current CN popclock reads out something around 31+ million.
When Canada hits at least 150 million then you come back, we'll talk. Until then you're mising an entire order of magnitude of population in comparison, which means only that there can be NO comparison.

Thank God we don't have public health care.
And you don't want us crazy Americano gun nuts moving to Canada. I would personally hunt your ass down, call you out at high noon in the middle of a dusty street, and shoot your face off, just for fun.:eek: :D

Hank Fletcher said:
I thought you had a high regard for free speech and the right to bear arms in your country.

At one time we did, Hank. But those days are over and the freedoms we once enjoyed are being lost.

Oh, there wasn't a government edict that wiped out our Bill of Rights, nor did a powerful dictator suddenly take over.

It was a little thing called apathy. And bit by bit, little by little, we stood by and watched as our very reason for life was taken away. We stood and watched as a culture that had served for centuries was eroded. We stood and watched as lawlessness and anti-authority became popular themes for the entertainment industry. We stood and watched as women prostituted themselves publicly. We stood and watched as the God of our Forefathers was stripped from His place in our schools and government buildings. We stood and watched as drugs and alcohol rendered us senseless.

And we wonder why the world has gone mad and the inmates are in charge.

Ron H said:
And you don't want us crazy Americano gun nuts moving to Canada. I would personally hunt your ass down, call you out at high noon in the middle of a dusty street, and shoot your face off, just for fun.:eek: :D
Our Royal Canadian Mounted Police will take your big bad guns away from you at the border. Then us Canadians will call you names and throw sticks and stones at you.:D

Hank Fletcher said:
I'm a little concerned that you're taking my comment too seriously, and yet not over the right part. When are you guys going to get public health care, anyway? We've got the right to stay alive and healthy, you've got the right to shoot someone in the face if you feel like it - I guess it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. If you had health care and the right to bear arms, what would be the point of having a gun anyway, since the victim could just heal himself up and you're right back at square one? How's that whole using-your-gun-for-hunting bit going? We've got a lot of guns in Canada, but not the right to bear one, just the privilege. You've got Life, Liberty, and the Puruit of Happiness. We have Peace, Order, and Good Government - we've found your three things pretty much fall into place after that, except maybe the Pursuit of Happiness. Why pursue what we already have? Maybe the vegetarians down there still want the right to bear arms, just so they can overthrow an unjust government. Yeah. Okay. Let me know how that revolution goes for y'all.
With comments like the above post, how else are we Americans here supposed to feel otherwise? Yeah, many of us Americans know all about your "successful" national healthcare debauchery. We know about your squeaky clean city streets. America has it fair share of self-generated problems and then some. But then what's wrong with giving citizens a choice on their health coverage? What's wrong with giving citizens their own responsibility and choices for retirement plans. What's wrong with giving them school choice? There are pros & cons no matter what. And we DO NOT have the right to shoot someone in the face if we feel like it. That's a terrible slam against any law-abiding American. Remember, Canada has it's criminals too. The media is going to pick apart the recent massacre to try and uncover every ill-fact about American gun laws, gun owner profiles, etc. How can a government enact gun prohibition laws on its citizens when there are law enforcement officials who abuse their authority and the public trust? At the time of psychological profiling, etc. they test fine... 3 months later they are brandishing their pistol at their spouse! Bottom line to my reply is this: SELF-RESPONSIBILITY This applies to citizens who choose to own a firearm, desire to have financial comfort after retirement, desire to have decent healthcare in place, and the list goes on. The last thing this nation needs are people that want government to do everything for them. Government knows what's best for government, not so much for its citizens. Tell ya what Hank, if Canada is such a wonderful place, you'd see more Americans moving there, right? Why haven't the Mexican illegals infiltrated your borders? The only border jumpers to Canada were the few draft dodgers from the days of the Vietnam War.
Believe it or not, I like Canada. It's not my top choice of locations to live in but it's not low on my list either. I have always made it a point to have good neighbor relations on my street and I apply that same philosophy to my neighboring countries of Canada & Mexico despite how others may feel. While we nations will never agree on every issue, I also am mindful of the differences in cultures, methods, and laws between us three.

AllVol said:
At one time we did, Hank. But those days are over and the freedoms we once enjoyed are being lost.

Oh, there wasn't a government edict that wiped out our Bill of Rights, nor did a powerful dictator suddenly take over.

It was a little thing called apathy. And bit by bit, little by little, we stood by and watched as our very reason for life was taken away. We stood and watched as a culture that had served for centuries was eroded. We stood and watched as lawlessness and anti-authority became popular themes for the entertainment industry. We stood and watched as women prostituted themselves publicly. We stood and watched as the God of our Forefathers was stripped from His place in our schools and government buildings. We stood and watched as drugs and alcohol rendered us senseless.

And we wonder why the world has gone mad and the inmates are in charge.
Nicely put!!! Well done.... and sadly true! This viral spread of apathy exists via the dumming down of American citizens through a multitude of tricks and techniques, be it directly aimed at adults or to children. Modern day Americans need to be saavy, educated and informed of the latest news in order to stay on top of it all so as not to get sucked into the vortex of endless BS like political correctness, one-world no-sovereignty, etc. You can't even go shopping with peace of mind, when there's plenty of marketing tricks in action designed to pull as much money as possible from our wallets and purses.

We have Peace, Order, and Good Government -

Yea, right, we have a prime minister who is a Bush wantabe, who ignores the Charter of Rights, and who would love to have a US style drug war, with all the gangs and guns of the US here. He would like parliament to have more power, and control over the courts...

We've got beer. And jobs.

Yep, the beer is better, but jobs? Yes, I guess if one aspires to blue collar or below. Unless of course one knows the right people, which seems the only way to a good job, or, if one is born or educated in Britain; what percent of Canadian University Professors are born in Britain? We still import most of our 'culture' from Britain or the U.S. Yes, if one wants to be a good little worker bee, we have jobs.

Our Royal Canadian Mounted Police will take your big bad guns away from you at the border.

Yes, then the 'higher ups' in the police will use them to issue to officers, and use the money alloted them for arms purchases to go golfing, or on fancy holidays.

Seem to me that Canada is still a small pond, full of big fish. There are too many old boy's clubs here. There are still too many Canadians who are only one generation off the farm.

So controlling guns in the hands of private citizens is the answer, eh? Take a look at this carried today by AP: (color added for emphasis)

Japanese Mayor Killed by Gangster
Published: 4/18/07, 5:05 AM EDT
By CHISAKI WATANABE
TOKYO (AP) - When Nagasaki's mayor was fatally shot in southern Japan, it wasn't much of a surprise that a gangster was arrested for the attack. In a country where regular citizens face strict gun laws, the mob does most of the shooting.
Iccho Ito, 61, was shot twice in the back Tuesday evening and died early Wednesday. Tetsuya Shiroo, a senior member of Japan's largest crime syndicate, the Yamaguchi-gumi, was captured at the scene and admitted to the attack, police said.
The killing focused attention on the role of the Japanese mafia, or "yakuza," in the rare shootings here.
Of the 53 gun attacks reported in 2006, two-thirds - 36 - were blamed on organized crime groups, the National Police Agency says.
Handguns are strictly banned for ordinary citizens in Japan, and only police officers and others - such as shooting instructors - with job-related reasons can own them. Hunting rifles are also strictly licensed and regulated.
Crime syndicates, however, have the money, numbers and international connections that enable them to smuggle foreign guns into Japan.

Seems like I heard someone say that if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Hummmmmm......

HiTech said:
stemming from the Virginia Tech massacre, Congress may need to edit the Second Ammendment!

Well, Tech, thank the Almighty you are wrong in Congress' ability to alter our document. If it were that easy, I'm afraid we would have been down the tubes long ago.

It still takes a Constitutional Amendment approved by two-thirds of the states to change one word of that precious document.

On the other hand, I can, and will argue that the Constitution badly needs reform in many areas. There are loopholes in it that are being exploited daily by enemies of this government and its way of life, and those loopholes desperately need to be plugged.

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum and I have some projects I need help with:
- build an fm receiver
- design a lie detector
- resolve the conflct within and between at least two or three nations
- stun gun (just a fun project)

All these projects are due by the end of next week, so any help would be appreciated ASAP! Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back