Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RS232 with only 3V power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exo

I'm building a project wich involves a pic, and i want it to communicate to a pc using the serial port. Now this project runs on 2 AA batteries so it only gets 3V. My Max232 won't run with this (stops below 4.2V).

Does anyone have some other idea on how to communicate with rs232 levels with only a 3V supply?

I would suggest you check the RS232 specifications, it works at a lot less tha +/-12V - obviously you have no problems receiving from RS232, and your transmit can be +3V and 0V, which will probably manage OK.

Nigel Goodwin said:
I would suggest you check the RS232 specifications, it works at a lot less tha +/-12V - obviously you have no problems receiving from RS232, and your transmit can be +3V and 0V, which will probably manage OK.

I tried it, but it seems 3V is just a little too less, sometimes some bits are missed.
I found this yesterday, it uses the pc's own handshaking lines and swiches them back for a '1' or a '0'. Should have thought about it myself
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back