Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

rf or ir?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowsa

i have an catv box but my original remote is broken and i dont have it anymore, i bought an universal controler from evergreen eg-lr100 unfortunately i had to find out on te hardway my reseller wont take it back i payed about 60 usd for it, and i it wont work with my universal remote, evnen tough it has a learning option but this requiers me to have the originall one which i dont have anymore, is there a way to make it work?
i could imagine by re-creating the frequencies, but i dont know how and i dont know even if it is ir or rf signal can i determine this somehow? the box is a noname box i have no manual and it says just catv explorer made in korea, i have an laptop with ir so i could imagine that i could recreate the frequenzy and send it to the remote. but how? and wich one should i try?

thanks to all

if it's a legit cable box, how about borrowing a remote from a neighbor, to program your learning remote with - or even the main cable office may let you use a remote while in their office, so you can program your own.

as for IR or RF, if your cable box has a little tinted window somewhere on the front, that's were the IR receiver is... an rf box would have no such window.

I have not seen a RF cable box. But I guess they could exist. I had RF on my large Cu band unit way back because one unit controlled the large dish in the yard for the whole house..

You bought a universal remote and stepped thru all the codes and did not fined one for the cable box you have?

Sony has a nice unit for a little more that learns IR well. There is a unit I bought for someone with tons of devices and it worked on them all (all store bought), call the Cameleon (the lizard).

did you google for

'jp1 remote'

maybe you are not out of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back