Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Quick questions on SMPS on Toshiba TV. DC buss voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastline

A little overwhelmed with Plasma TV sitting at the house. SMPS tries to boot, then shuts down, throwing a red blinking LED. I have removed all loads except the one plug that has to be on to switch the board relays on. I have checked most outputs from the board and pretty obvious so far that it is not outputting any voltages.

Trying my new ESR meter, I tested the 2 DC buss filter caps that are 270uf, 450V. They both test around .25 ohms or lets just say "together", they test in range. When I test the DC buss voltage at the bridge, I am only seeing about what RMS AC input is which is 125V. In previous experiences, the DC almost always is near peak voltages with the caps in place which would be like 170V or ACV*1.414 roughly. My digital meter is also showing 30VAC on the DC buss but I cannot read too much into that.

Does this sound like a major issue and possibly a cap problem? I also noticed that the DC buss after removing power was holding 2.5V charge but I expected it to hold a LOT more or discharge completely. Maybe the caps are not holding charge?

This PS has switching regs on the front end which I am not familiar with. These are after the rectification circuit so maybe I am on the right track?

Well,. since posting, I decided I better check to see if the caps are even close enough to the bridge to add filtering. It does not look like it. It looks like power comes from the bridge, then goes to an isolation transformer as well as the switching regs which "might" be like choppers? I have not seen a PS like this so maybe someone could enlighten as to what I am seeing?? Figure most TV PSs are close to the same in terms of build out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back