Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Quick anti-static question

Status
Not open for further replies.

George L.

Hello,

I live in the USA and have a baseboard heating system in my house, I need to connect my antistatic wrist strap to something grounded. Is the outer shell of the base board hetaing unit or metal square inside it grounded? Also, the screw on the outlet plate, that is grounded, right?

Would really appreciate some help,

thanks,

George L.

Answer depends on a couple of things.
1. How old is the house / wiring /heater unit.
If it is newer than ABOUT 30 years, it SHOULD be grounded for safety reasons, but I would check the case against an outlet mechanical ground with a multi-meter just to be sure. I have seen older houses that were wired without the mechanical safety ground that have been retrofitted with new style grounded outlets and the ground tab was not connected to anything at all. I cannot tell you for certain when the code was changed that required the safety ground to be installed, but it was quite some time ago. Mid 1960's perhaps? I worked briefly as electricians apprentice in the late 60's and it was the standard for new construction then, but the use of aluminum wiring was also OK (a really bad idea that is no more thankfully)
2. As for the screw on a box cover being grounded, I wouldn't count on it unless it is a metal box. Some new construction uses plastic electrical boxes and grounding of a cover plate screw is NOT a sure thing. Again, when in doubt, check it out with a meter.

Dialtone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back