Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power redundancy idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nepalien

Hello all,

I am using 7805 regulator from 12V source to power a modem. Current drain is about 500 mA. I also want to use a AC adapter (5V 1 Ampere model) at the same time. In other words when there is a electricity modem gets its voltage from AC adapter and during outage it gets from 12V battery via 7805 regulator.

So I am thinking of simply hooking the AC adapter in parallel with 7805 output. Would that be a wise move? Thanks.

-Nepalien

Last edited:
Why dont you get a 9-12V AC adapter, and do the diode ORing on the input side of the 7805?

No, it would be a really bad move - you need two diodes to join them together (an OR gate).
I would appreciate if you can explain in terms of how I connect the diodes and where. Is this required to protect the battery from getting voltage from adapter? Thanks.

I would appreciate if you can explain in terms of how I connect the diodes and where. Is this required to protect the battery from getting voltage from adapter? Thanks.

Here is what I was talking about.

Attachments

• DiodeOr.png
    DiodeOr.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 124
Except V2 needs to be greater than V1 otherwise it will always run off the battery, so use a 15V wall wart.

I think it would be a better idea to use a 6V battery, a low drop-out regulator and a 9V wall wart.

Except V2 needs to be greater than V1 otherwise it will always run off the battery, so use a 15V wall wart...

Whoops, good catch.

Another idea would be to put a suitable resistor in parallelwith D2 in MikeMLs circuit and trickle charge the battery to ensure it is always fully charged.

JimB

I forgot to say that, if a 6V battery is used, the diode in series with the battery would need to be a Schottky, otherwise the voltage drop will be far too great.

Here's a datasheet for a 5 regulator with a dropout voltage of about 240mV@500mA:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/04/LP8340.pdf

Here's a Schottky which drops 375mV at 500mA
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/04/MB2FMBRS340.pdf

This means it'll run until the battery voltage is just over 5.6V before the output voltage drops below 5V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back