Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Potential ebay shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerStrom8

Super Moderator
Hi guys!

First off, I'd like to thank EM for allowing me to post this here ;)

So, I've been thinking lately about opening an ebay store sort of thing, where I can sell some of the small projects that I design and make. At the moment I have a couple of projects that are just about ready to be sold as kits, but I would first like to know if it would be worth it. I was hoping you guys could give me a little feedback about my ideas to see if it's something that might draw some interest.

The first project is a secret knock detector, which is based on an arduino project I read about a while ago. However, instead of an arduino, this one would use a PIC on a pre-made PCB. The idea is that it mounts to a door with a deadbolt, and the user programs in a secret knock pattern of his or her choosing. From then on, until re-programmed, the device will unlock the deadbolt for anyone who gives the secret knock. It isn't designed to be a serious security device. It's just meant to be a fun little project, especially for beginners. It would come in a kit, including most of the important parts (resistors, capacitors, possibly the chip and motor as well), and if I decide to send the chip, it will be pre-programmed. It will come un-assembled, unless the customer requests it pre-assembled (at a slightly higher price). It will come with directions and the board layout diagram to make assembly easier.

The second project is a PIC-to-breadboard adapter, designed to save room on a breadboard and keep it neat for prototyping. The board will combine the ICSP connections and, perhaps, the 5 volt regulator circuit for the chip, and will line up the I/O ports in rows of headers, which plug into the breadboard. It will have a selectable program/run (so that MCLR can be used as an I/O if that is how the chip is designed). I currently have some designed for the PIC18F1330 (some other processors have the same pinout, such as the 1320), so that will work as well. If any interest is shown, I could easily design some for other PICs as well.

I'm thinking of making some other novelty-type boards, aimed especially for beginners and early hobbyists to practice with soldering and other board-assembly skills.

I am wondering if anyone here thinks this might be an endeavor worth following, and if you think there might be enough interest for it to be worth trying. I don't want to spend a few hundred dollars to make boards that nobody will buy ;) I'm just curious if anyone here has feedback, whether this may or may not be a reasonable project, and ways that I might be able to improve on the idea? I appreciate any suggestions you guys have :)

Kind regards,
Der Strom

Last edited:
I'll share my thoughts. We have a few members here who actually have marketed assorted kits so you may want to ask them how they have fared.

Anyway, my take right now is there is no shortage of assorted kits out there from soup to nuts. Velleman for example among others. Matter of fact I have seen Velleman stuff turning up at Radio Shack stores. Kit makers seem to come and go in droves with a few solid businesses out there surviving. The survivors and those making money seem to remain on top of the ever changing curve. Another thing about survivors is many have and use a "nitch" in that they find something that turns a buck that nobody else is marketing. They do this over and over again. Remaining ahead of the curve. They find a nitch and work it.

When you find something that sells and works for you then you need to keep your customers happy. Word of mouth works wonders in the geek world. However, you get behind shipping while cashing checks you will die a very quick death. Running a small business is a great experience but also requires relentless work.

If you have the time and some money to invest, then give it a shot following considerable research. Even if it looks good and you go for it, never invest more than you can afford to lose as it is just like any other gambling.

Ron

Last edited:
Thanks Ron. That's very helpful! Would you happen to know any names of those here who have marketed kits?

I might try selling one or two on ebay before trying to get any more made. That way I can put my feelers out to see what peoples' interests are. Word of mouth is great, but it can be a little tricky getting it started, in my opinion. I might add a video or two to my youtube channel with some links.

Thanks for the input. I'm looking forward to hearing more opinions :)

Regards

I want to say blueroom electronics but I have not seen him active here lately. Damnit, I just can't think of any more. However, if you ever want to open a brick and mortar gun shop I could help. :)

Ron

Bill at Blueroomelectronics made great kits. I have two. Both were very well "kitted", instructions were clear, he used top quality components, and they worked perfectly. I can't think of a single negative. He dropped out of the business. I don't know why, but I could probably venture a guess. Fun is fun, but it does not substitute for a business plan that includes profit.

And before anyone accuses me of only being interested in profit, what do you think my mother gave me for a middle name?

John

I'm going with "Price"

See:
https://www.gadgetgangster.com/ He markets kits

The sale of kits is miniscule. Kits have died.

I previously sold $12,000 worth of kits a week. This has died to $100 per month.

The Chinese can sell a complete project for half and post it for free. You can't compete.

I think there maybe room market wise but I think it is true what Colin has said – the market is not what it used to be. Very few people I know build things, which I think is a shame.

With ebay you could sell worldwide which should increase your chances (albeit I am guessing there is a time overhead to deal with customs etc).

I think a bare basics board for an 18F PIC would sell if it does all the boiler plate things experimenters are fed up with doing. A bread boardable module with something like an 18f2550, onboard regulator (selectable power from a pin or USB), crystal and caps (or ceramic resonator), and a boot loader via USB (that can also be used with CDC for serial comms) would be very useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back