Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Police Flash Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here a simple circuit that will flash 3 high bright LEDs 3 times and alternate with red and blue LEDs

Sorry for my ignorance but it seems that I forgot what the triangles mean (inverter if i remember right), now what's really confusing me are the symbols inside the triangles (schmitt triggers?), are those 7414?

(lol sorry but it's been a while since i took electronics)

DUH I JUST NOTICED THE 74C14!

Last edited:
Thanks Dan !!

DealExtreme has the whole thing I need ready to use for
under $20. I did however e-mail them with inquiry as to the
specs on their LEDs that are in it, so I can get equivalent
CLEAR LEDs to replace the red and blue ones with.

"Police Style Car 12V 12-LED Red/Blue Stroboscopic Light with 3-Mode Controller"

Last edited:
Thanks Dan !!

DealExtreme has the whole thing I need ready to use for
under $20. I did however e-mail them with inquiry as to the
specs on their LEDs that are in it, so I can get equivalent
CLEAR LEDs to replace the red and blue ones with.

"Police Style Car 12V 12-LED Red/Blue Stroboscopic Light with 3-Mode Controller"

np... I did not look at all they had with the thought of your actual app just what i was familiar with in respect to your question ... glad you found it :)

Last edited:
Too bad they didn't respond to me, but they do have some handheld keyring flashlights, I think it was a dozen of them for a few bucks (for a dozen!). They are 22K mcd. They also sell batches of clear LEDs up to (I think it was) 160K mcd, at reasonable prices as well. This is what I'm going with. I may just have to eliminate their lens assemblies to accommodate drivers for each channel, since I'll be using many more LEDs than their controller drives.

Sorry for my ignorance but it seems that I forgot what the triangles mean (inverter if i remember right), now what's really confusing me are the symbols inside the triangles (schmitt triggers?), are those 7414?

(lol sorry but it's been a while since i took electronics)

DUH I JUST NOTICED THE 74C14!
They're CMOS Schmitt trigger inverters, e.g. the CD40106.

Cheap Chinese keyring LEDs are focussed into a very narrow beam so they appear bright. But you need wide angle bright LEDs that are newer and better.

The 7414 needs a regulated 5V supply and uses a lot of current inside itself. Its output high voltage and current are low.

A 74C14 operates from an unregulated 3V to 18V supply and uses no current inside itself. Its output high current is enough to brightly light a few LEDs in series when its supply is about 9V or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back