Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PICKIT2 or INCHWORM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecritic

After failure to make any programmer work, I have finally decided to buy it. Which cheap (around 40$) programmer do you suggest? (I will be ordering it through my relatives at Brisbane,Australia, So a knowledge of availability would be great.)

Go with a PicKit2 or a Junebug. If you don't have a target board then the Junebug is a good choice. If you have a particular chip/circuit you want to program then a PicKit2.

Edit, here in Brisbane, a PK2 is probably easier to get.

Mike..

Last edited:
Go with a PicKit2 or a Junebug. If you don't have a target board then the Junebug is a good choice. If you have a particular chip/circuit you want to program then a PicKit2.
Edit, here in Brisbane, a PK2 is probably easier to get.
Mike..

Thanks for the Response. Do you know the place where PK2 can be bought and also the price there in Brisbane. It would be great help.

Would I need something more to PICKIT 2 (PG164120) to be able to program PICs in Breadboard?

I wonder,What good is PICkit2 if I need to additionally buy something from another place, to make the minimal use of it.

PICkit-2 is a typical USA designed product that falls between two stools.
Simply look at the CD that comes with the kit and you see a complete "dogs breakfast."
You have to be a genius to wade through the information and nothing is sorted-out or easy to comprehend.
You have to be a brilliant programmer to work out how to use the data sheets and programming examples.
You can't even do in-circuit-programming on your own protoboard without an adapter, however the programmer from some suppliers comes with a FREE proto board and you have to find out if this is still available.

I wonder,What good is PICkit2 if I need to additionally buy something from another place, to make the minimal use of it.

You don't have to buy anything else. All you need is a chip to program, something to put the chip in (breadboard, perfboard, PCB), the PICKit2 and a computer. If you don't have any headers on hand you can use typical prototyping jumpers to stick in the PICKit2 socket and the other end in your circuit for ICSP.

Last edited:
can use typical prototyping jumpers to stick in the PICKit2 socket
That's exactly, what I am saying, you need a connector or adapter to connect the PICit2 to your board.
That's what we sell, for $1.50, an adapter.

Does it make life easier? Yes. Is it cheap? Yes. Absolutely critical? No.

**broken link removed**

My only point is you don't have to go buying something else, one can always make do.

Does it make life easier? Yes. Is it cheap? Yes. Absolutely critical? No.

**broken link removed**

My only point is you don't have to go buying something else, one can always make do.

Thanks, That was a great assurance.
Now, Does Anyone Know a place in Brisbane where you can drive-by and buy PICKIT2 in cash?

Only company local to Australia I've heard of in the US is Jaycar Electronics and they appear to have a store in the Brisbane area

65 Ipswich Road, Brisbane QLD 4102, Australia +61 7 3393 0777

Might be worth giving them a call to see if they carry the PICKit2

I live in Brisbane and don't know of anywhere you can go buy one. I tend to order things like that from Microchip Direct and they arrive in a couple of days. You can also order from Mouser.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back