Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PICKIT 2 verification failed at memory address 0x0000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Nigel,
I just had the pic connected to the PICkit2 via a piece of Veroboard which has some ZIF sockets on it. It is powered from the PICkit2. I have used the PICkit2 in the past for in circuit programming but I try to avoid any connections to the programming pins and the MCLR pin at the design stage that would load them during programming. I also insert a schottky diode in the supply to the VDD pin so that the PICkit2 is not trying to power the rest of the circuit during programming. I can't remember which side of the diode I connect the decoupling capacitor to. I seem to remember that the PICkit2 does not like to see a decoupling capacitor with too large a value on the VDD pin as it slows down the switching of the programming signal to the VDD pin.

Les.

that's mean i have tow chip model ' 16f628a '
one is working without any problem
the other one have this problem "Failed to program at programming address 0x0000"

Try to program the 2 chips several times and if in one point both chips will fail to program then it could be the PK2. The problem with the PK2 is that it occasionally bricks the chip.

The problem with the PK2 is that it occasionally bricks the chip.
zahwi This is not a PICkit 2 its a clone . I have been programming ever since PK2 started.... never ever "bricked" a chip. Had chips fail because of wrong connections , bad wiring , or shorting as possibly many members here.
The OP has not shown us his ICSP circuit ? this could be his "brick" he is using to bash the device ?

I have had the firmware in a PICkit2 become corrupt and it was not seen by the PC. I re loaded the firmware and it has worked perfectly since then. (Several years ago.) There are 6 holes in the board marked J1 These are the ISCP programming pins. This is a picture with pins soldered into these holes.
16011718140815620738.jpg

This is only of use if you have access to another working programmer. The firmware file to load is PK2V021000.hex

Les

I have had the firmware in a PICkit2 become corrupt and it was not seen by the PC.

Basically the PICKit2 (and 3) is a bootloader system, and re-programs itself with data from the PC for different chip series - if the bootloader gets corrupted, then the PC and PK2/3 can't communicate.

Like you say, you need another programmer to restore it :D

I don't know but I do know this the pickit 2 can reprogram chips that have been set wrong with the configure bits
pickit2.jpg

I don't have the pickit2 hooked up but it works I've programed all kinds of pic that had problem till I changed the VPP first setting that pulls up mclr to program voltage from the get go.

I don't know but I do know this the pickit 2 can reprogram chips that have been set wrong with the configure bits
View attachment 96870

I don't have the pickit2 hooked up but it works I've programed all kinds of pic that had problem till I changed the VPP first setting that pulls up mclr to program voltage from the get go.

I tried you suggestion and it works, thank you.
I can program now pic16f628a from PicKit2 application. Hopefully one day I'll find a way to program this pic directly from MPLAB.

It cán program chips with mplab just the X is not as useable as there older ide was.

the O P could try another F628A
I had few occasions where the chips failed at certain memory locations.
even blank check after an erasure doesn't show it clean.

secondly he could use the usb rear socket of the desktop.

Basically the PICKit2 (and 3) is a bootloader system, and re-programs itself with data from the PC for different chip series - if the bootloader gets corrupted, then the PC and PK2/3 can't communicate.

Like you say, you need another programmer to restore it :D
well said Nigel
i had done reloading of firmware even on microchip supplied PICKIT2 units .

zahwi, have the experimented with the " Auto inport hex + write " option. works OK with MPLAB 8, not tried with X

zahwi, have the experimented with the " Auto inport hex + write " option. works OK with MPLAB 8, not tried with X

Sorry granddad, I don't understand the question, please give more details.
I can program now pic16f628a from PicKit2 application as in post #26. I cannot program this pic directly from MPLAB or MPLABX.

zahwi Sorry my poor post ... If you have PK2 standalone running and click " Auto import Hex + Write " find the hex required as normal , the file will write the device and run, switch windows back to MPLAB ( edit away :) ) next time you do a successful build , PK2 will kick in and write it to device Auto . ( as long as its the same name of course ).

zahwi Sorry my poor post ... If you have PK2 standalone running and click " Auto import Hex + Write " find the hex required as normal , the file will write the device and run, switch windows back to MPLAB ( edit away :) ) next time you do a successful build , PK2 will kick in and write it to device Auto . ( as long as its the same name of course ).
I understand you clearly now, thank you. I will use your method sometime soon.

If I get time I'll post a picture how to Do it in mplab. And mplabX
It's not hard in Mplab ide this is in ver 8.46
but it's the same for all the 8.XX ver.
mplab.png

It will load the hex you compiled.

Last edited:
If a PICkit 2 gives you any flaky results, my advice is the following:

1. Unplug the PICkit from the USB jack.

2. Close the GUI programming software on the PC.

3. Reconnect the PICkit 2.

4. Restart the GUI.

If the PICkit is connected to a USB hub, disconnect its input and reconnect it between steps 2 & 3.

The PICkit is pretty good at protecting itself from shorts and power overloads, but that will leave it hung. The above steps reset everything.

I agree with be80be. You can program and erase a code-protected PIC. You just can't read it. I do this often without any problems.

If you have a PIC chip that seems dead, sometimes just leaving it alone for a few days will allow it to recover. I guess it's feelings get hurt and it just needs to sulk awhile. <g> I don't have any explanation, but I've set aside a bad chip and tried it again a few days later and it has appeared to be fully functional.

Basically the PICKit2 (and 3) is a bootloader system, and re-programs itself with data from the PC for different chip series - if the bootloader gets corrupted, then the PC and PK2/3 can't communicate....

I don't believe the PICkit 2 loads different firmware for different chip families - this was a huge criticism of the PICkit 3 when it came out.

At times PICKIT2 firmware gets corrupted and on at least 4 occasions , i had to reload and do the formalities as described in PICKIt2 manual.

secondly there is one situation where funny observations are made.your Design has no crystal and uses internal oscillator . For optimal use of port pins, people use Internal MCLR and use the pin 4 (case of F628A) as a normal port pin.

At first when a new chip is programmed , things go well. Next time as the chip is powered by pickit2 it starts working with earlier program and won't allow you to re program.

Here is why the "Vpp first facility comes into picture. If the OP is suffering from similar situation, perhaps he can configure the pickit2 accordingly and he could overcome the situation.

I don't believe the PICkit 2 loads different firmware for different chip families - this was a huge criticism of the PICkit 3 when it came out.

Have you ever used one? - as far as I'm aware it actually gives you the message when it does so, there isn't enough memory in it's internal PIC to hold all the different algorithms required, nor for the other options it has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back