Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

On Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

iONic

I've had an interest in creating a forum of my own(not electronics related) and
wanted to know what service provides for this, what it costs. I currently have a family forum that if free with the domain hosting, but it doe not have many features that this and other forums have. For example it doesn't have email notification, cant add active links in the post, thread Subscription, or the lovely but not so necessary Post Icons.

can someone point me in the right direction?

You need to find a web host that will allow PHP and Mysql access. They are readily available for around £5/$10 a month for a half decent host.

Then download some free software called PHPBB - it works, does the email notifications and its pretty simple to administer and set up.

Have a look at www.picbits.co.uk/forums for an example - its hosted on a home server with a fixed IP address and a 3mb download / 600k upload bandwidth.

picbits said:
You need to find a web host that will allow PHP and Mysql access...

Thanks picbits, my hosting service does have this feature with a hole lot of extras for $95 - $120 per year.

Get downloading and testing then :)

I've been using the latest beta release without any problems - seems very stable and I've been getting a lot less spammers on the boards since installing it.

Hi iONic.

This forum is hosted by **broken link removed**. I would fully recommend them to you as they are very affordable at $4.95 per month (thats not how much we pay but would be suitable if you were just starting a new forum).

With 4d Web Hosting you get to use PHP and MySQL, and there service is totally compatible with vBulletin (this is what we use but it does cost money) and phpbb (free but very good) forum software.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back