Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Non generic e-mail address

Status
Not open for further replies.

HudzonHawk

Lately I encounter more and more websites that do not accept generic e-mail addresses such as yahoo or hotmail (can't blame them, really).

So I decided to get myself a non generic one (preferably for free). Anyone have any suggestions where I might register one?

HudzonHawk said:
Lately I encounter more and more websites that do not accept generic e-mail addresses such as yahoo or hotmail (can't blame them, really).

So I decided to get myself a non generic one (preferably for free). Anyone have any suggestions where I might register one?

Why not buy your own domain name?, then you have a 'real' email address for life - never any need to change it.

The idea intrigues me as it will finally give me an option to initiate some of my web based projects that I've been putting of for ages.

Thanks for the tip!

hi,
If you cannot find a free email, then there is 'pay as you go.'

www.uku.co.uk 0845 6652948 , requires BT connection, off peak 1p/min, peak 3p/min. No other charges.

For free webspace www.box.net.

Own domain name is the way to go.

If you are a Sky customer, for £5/month, you get broadband, unlimited download, my runs at 3.5MHz, well pleased
[free router]

Last edited:
It can be useful to just buy a .co.uk domain name for about £5 per two years from one company and then direct it to another where you choose to host your web site and/or email. (it may be that even your isp provides enough web space to get started.)

That way, YOU always own the domain name (which is not always the case with some "free" domain name offers), and you are free to shop around and change your web hosting company as you wish.

I host my own email and web servers on a set of fixed IP addresses provided by Eclipse Internet. I use a company called DotNetted over on the Isle of Wight for my domain registrations, renewal and name server hosting.

It all works out pretty well for me - I can register a domain with DotNetted and have it pointing to one of my Linux servers within minutes and their service is second to none albeit slightly more expensive than some others.

Works out quite expensive though - my servers cost me around £10 a week for the electricity, another £30 a month goes on the internet access although I need this anyway and around £10 a year for the domain name.

Software was free though - good old Linux (Debian)

picasm said:
It can be useful to just buy a .co.uk domain name for about £5 per two years from one company and then direct it to another where you choose to host your web site and/or email. (it may be that even your isp provides enough web space to get started.)

That way, YOU always own the domain name (which is not always the case with some "free" domain name offers), and you are free to shop around and change your web hosting company as you wish.

you've got a good point there ... often times dis-reputable hosting companies will hold your domain hostage forcing you to renew with them or forfeit the name.

The easy way is to get an email from aol for free

Try GMail. It is great. I have only gotten 2 spam in the 2 years that i have had it. The great thing is, that the spam went directily to the spam box, not the inbox. Gmail rocks. I will never go back to hotmail (although i do still have a hotmail account for registration crap...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back