Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New malicious email

Status
Not open for further replies.
All my computers are XP, including the ones at work. I keep virus definitions current and scan my systems. I have no problems. XP works fine, and I see no good reason to swtich. WIN7 is too error prone for me to fool with.

Win7 is a lighter version, works much smoothly. I've found some features, compared to XP works well in Win7. Nevertheless, there are errors with working older version of programs. Some of them can be fixed by using XPMode in Win7/Changing the Compatibility Options. I feel they both are great Operating Systems, because i've found problems with Linux Ubuntu.

Some of them can be fixed by using XPMode in Win7/Changing the Compatibility Options. .
That's the "fix" that MS says to use but it did not work on ANY of my software that was not running right. I was 100% happy with my old PC, the hard drive is undamaged and I could have run the old app programs from that drive except Win 7 is just incompatible with all of it.

Supposedly, I can pay another $150 to upgrade to the "premium" version of the Win 7 OS that runs "virtual XP" and then the old apps run.... supposedly. But I have heard mixed reviews on that.

Last edited:
Yeah, you be pretty much toast with the evil empire. Don't be surprised if you start seeing black helicopters hovering above.

Anyway, now that the thread is pretty much derailed I saw your Unbuntu mention. I played with a few versions and got bored. However, years ago I really liked and ran the Linux Suse distro. I liked Suse using the grubb boot loader. I ran a box with Linux Suse (Maybe between a 7.0 or 9.0 distro) in a dual boot with Windows 2K Pro and it was a nice little system. I was never and never worked to be a Linux guru but I really enjoyed running Suse.

Ron

That's the "fix" that MS says to use but it did not work on ANY of my software that was not running right. I was 100% happy with my old PC, the hard drive is undamaged and I could have run the old app programs from that drive except Win 7 is just incompatible with all of it.

Supposedly, I can pay another $150 to upgrade to the "premium" version of the Win 7 OS that runs "virtual XP" and then the old apps run.... supposedly. But I have heard mixed reviews on that.
Thats the MS way! You have to pay for something that should be there anyway.

Yeah, you be pretty much toast with the evil empire. Don't be surprised if you start seeing black helicopters hovering above.

Anyway, now that the thread is pretty much derailed I saw your Unbuntu mention. I played with a few versions and got bored. However, years ago I really liked and ran the Linux Suse distro. I liked Suse using the grubb boot loader. I ran a box with Linux Suse (Maybe between a 7.0 or 9.0 distro) in a dual boot with Windows 2K Pro and it was a nice little system. I was never and never worked to be a Linux guru but I really enjoyed running Suse.

Ron
Unbuntu 11.10 just came out, thats what I am going to give a test drive.

bountyhunter, you may want to give this a read. Also, check out the Windows 7 compatibility center listings. I may be wrong but the Windows XP Mode with Virtual PC runs on any version of Windows 7 from Starter versions to the Ultimate versions in 32 and 64 bit. I don't believe there is a cost?

Ron

Enjoy it as it is fun to mess around with and post how it goes for you.

Ron

Does your email client automatically open HTML messages? See my question below. If so, you can be infected without clicking on a link via Remote Procedure Calls, ActiveX scripts, and various other means if they are enabled and capable of exploiting any security vulnerabilities.

In the case of Microsoft Outlook, do you mean the "Auto Preview" function?

I never turn that on because I believe it allows viruses entry.

And I never open anything that is suspicious - even photos of tennis players.

bountyhunter, you may want to give this a read. Also, check out the Windows 7 compatibility center listings.

I may be wrong but the Windows XP Mode with Virtual PC runs on any version of Windows 7 from Starter versions to the Ultimate versions in 32 and 64 bit. I don't believe there is a cost?

Ron
I actually tried to download the XP virtual thing from MS website and it automatically locked out and said that the "home version" has to be upgraded bfeore it can download it..

Believe me, if it was available without buying more of their crap, I would have downloaded it. I beat that horse to death. I didn't want to upgrade not only because of cost but because it's a bigger, more complicated OS with a whole extra bag full of bugs to deal with.

Still is true, "Home Premium" won't work with XP virtual:

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Dec. 22 23.40.jpg
    ScreenHunter_01 Dec. 22 23.40.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
I actually tried to download the XP virtual thing from MS website and it automatically locked out and said that the "home version" has to be upgraded bfeore it can download it..

Believe me, if it was available without buying more of their crap, I would have downloaded it. I beat that horse to death. I didn't want to upgrade not only because of cost but because it's a bigger, more complicated OS with a whole extra bag full of bugs to deal with.

Still is true, "Home Premium" won't work with XP virtual:

Well damn, that is stupid as they let you select Home Premium from the drop down and then you get that message? ****, how crappy can they get?

Ron

Ya, tell me back how it is, wanna have a try too... prevsly had prob installing 10.10 version.

...your Unbuntu mention...

Yep, wanted to save some bucks, so tried to install Ubuntu 10.10 to my comp. Eventually got riddled because of many errors during the installation. They say you can install properly by formatting your complete hard disk, but i dont want to lose the data in it.

Using a Mac, and I don't open attachments unless I know who it's from. 'Nuff said. :p

In that case you can use 'Linux', they are Virus Resistant.

Last edited:
True, I was just making a point, due to the high number of comments about XP vs Windows7 etc....
But yes, I totally accept Linux :)

Overall I agree as to Linux and MAC in general. I also strongly believe the very best anti-virus program for great protection is commonsense.exe as far as protection goes.

That said, while not a Microsoft Zealot exactly I do live and more important work in a Microsoft world. While I have enjoyed using and toying with Linux I certainly can't get the productivity at home or work out of Linux that I can using software from the Evil Empire. My workday consist of software designed to run and be used on a Windows platform. My drawings reside on a SharePoint server, when I generate forms they are done in InfoPath and the list goes on. If all I needed to do was have Internet and an Email client then Linux would be fine, however, life isn't as simple as running OO (Open Office) on a Linux box for many.

As to Linux in general, I have attended and enjoyed a few Linux Fest. The biggest problem I see in the Linux community is the developers are all going in different directions. Just looking at the distro Unbuntu there are so many flavors (releases). Unbuntu 11.10
Oneiric Ocelot for example was released Oct. 2011 and the EOL (End of Life) is suggested to be April of 2013. Unbuntu just being a single distro.

Apple? Yes, a very good system. I have worked on several Apple systems and liked them. My brother is the all time Apple Zealot. He is a university professor and uses Apple for all his design and layout work. There is but one system in the world and that is Apple! :) Just ask him.

Just My Take & Opinion
Ron

Maybe you should send your XP disk to bountyhunter instead.

Yeah, that or a higher level of Windows 7. :)

I looked for that disk last night. Resolution, over the holidays, start throwing crap out. I just have piles of old junk. Need a Windows 98 telephone modem board? I have some. No wonder I can never find stuff. Maybe I should open a beer and think about this.

Ron

the very best anti-virus program for great protection is commonsense.exe

^THIS

And Ron (can I call you Ron?) It seems your brother and I have exactly the same views concerning OS X. ;)

And I love your openness and acceptance of every OS, it shows that the world may not be split into 3 types of fanboys :)

Really ticked me off because I bought a more expensive machine thinking I was getting the "better" premium software but ended up with the "crippled" versions of everything. Not just Win 7 but word, excel and ppoint as well. The Msoft strategy is to sell useless versions of software to the oem PC builders and gouge customers on the upgrades.

Last edited:
I can't really believe anyone would be stupid enough to do otherwise?, but many people are.
I swear both times I got nailed, I did not open ANYTHING. The virus hit me when I went to an infected website. The second time it went right by the PC Shield protection I had bought after the first time. I am using AVG now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back