Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New malicious email

Status
Not open for further replies.
I swear both times I got nailed, I did not open ANYTHING. The virus hit me when I went to an infected website. The second time it went right by the PC Shield protection I had bought after the first time. I am using AVG now.

I think he meant opening attachments. I too have been bitten by just clicking on a URL from Google. Bastages...

^THIS

And Ron (can I call you Ron?) It seems your brother and I have exactly the same views concerning OS X. ;)

And I love your openness and acceptance of every OS, it shows that the world may not be split into 3 types of fanboys :)

:) Sure you can call me Ron, especially since it's my name.

Ron

Really ticked me off because I bought a more expensive machine thinking I was getting the "better" premium software but ended up with the "crippled" versions of everything. Not just Win 7 but word, excel and ppoint as well. The Msoft strategy is to sell useless versions of software to the oem PC builders and gouge customers on the upgrades.

Beyond what I mentioned in my previous post as to how I get much of my Microsoft software I also get much of it through my work. Microsoft has what is called a HUP (Home User Program) where much of what we buy at work is also available to us for literally a few bucks. For example Microsoft Office 2010 Professional including InfoPath ran me $20 for the disk sent to my home. I doubt I would be quick to pay retail for that bundle. Being involved in many of their user programs helps get plenty of free or low cost offerings. Attending new product launches when they have them in Cleveland helps also.

Also, yes, visiting an infected website is how so many people get burned. There seems to be more and more of that happening.

Ron

Ron; You are one of the lucky ones in the MS kingdom. The rest of us peasants are expected to pay arms and legs. Andy

What I don't get is, why do people send viruses which just destroy files. There is a certain gain from spyware etc.... But what could anyone gain by deleting your files or making them invisible??? :confused:

Ron; You are one of the lucky ones in the MS kingdom. The rest of us peasants are expected to pay arms and legs. Andy

When I do buy the operating system from a retailer, for example a build for a friend or family I always buy the OEM versions. This is an example of pricing at my local brick and mortar Micro-Center store. For example Windows 7 Ultimate retail runs about $319.99 USD while I can buy the OEM version for about $199.00 USD. The only difference with the OEM system builder package is that it does not carry Microsoft Support. Beyond that, it is the same thing. Also, note what BountyHunter is getting at: Windows 7 Home Premium to Ultimate Anytime Upgrade (PC) runs about $140 while as mentioned I can get the entire Windows 7 Ultimate package OEM for $199. About $60 over the Upgrade price.

Likely this new year I'll build myself and the wife new home systems. Maybe even do a major upgrade to my workstation machine.

Ron

Merry Christmas Ron. Good luck with your PCs. I just love spending hours with them and yelling at them for not doing what I want. Andy

Merry Christmas Ron. Good luck with your PCs. I just love spending hours with them and yelling at them for not doing what I want. Andy

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year back at the 4 pyro peoples back there in PA (down the road a piece). :)

Yeah, sometimes you have to be a glutton for punishment when you build your own stuff. I only do it because I can get something more inline with what I want sans all the crap that new retail systems include that I don't want. :)

Ron

Ya. Been thare done that. Got to love the bloatware that comes with a new PC. All trials and c@#$ you dont what. It takes just as long to clean all that off as it does putting on stuff you need.

But what could anyone gain by deleting your files or making them invisible???
Presumably the same satisfaction that any brain-dead vandal gets from scrawling graffiti, damagiing property etc.

What I don't get is, why do people send viruses which just destroy files. There is a certain gain from spyware etc.... But what could anyone gain by deleting your files or making them invisible??? :confused:
The last two major viruses actually locked up the computer and appeared to be a microsoft security alert. Then they offer an "anti virus" software that fixes the problem... if you enter your credit card info to pay the $30. Of course, if you do, they have your card number and ID and then they drain the card. And your computer remains locked up and infected.

for some they do it (write viruses) "because it's there...". some do it to "make a name for themselves" (after all, John Dillinger, and Bonny and Clyde made names for themselves...). some may do it as some kind of practical joke. i suspect most of them do it because they are vandals who get a kick out of destroying other people's property. there are probably some that are "state sponsored", and that's somewhat disturbing.

if i had my "druthers", i'd put them all on a cruise liner in the north atlantic during ice season, put the thing under computer control, and tell them the computer has ALL of their viruses loaded on it....

The last two major viruses actually locked up the computer and appeared to be a microsoft security alert. Then they offer an "anti virus" software that fixes the problem... if you enter your credit card info to pay the $30. Of course, if you do, they have your card number and ID and then they drain the card. And your computer remains locked up and infected.

that one (or something similar) has been around for a few years, usually loaded by a java script on a web page. it's also a bear to get rid of. the best thing to do with those "alerts" when you see them is to close them from Task Manager (use task manager to close the browser as well). don't click on the box!!!! also, if you are running Windows without some antivirus software (with the ability to block malicious scripts), it's like driving a race car without seatbelts....

Last edited:

Ironic, my sister called me yesterday with that problem. They come in a few flavors but it is all the same crap. Interesting and somewhat humorous is the removal price has increased from the old $29.95 / $39.95 as her version was looking for $59.95, I attribute it to inflation. My best success in removing it has always come from using Combo Fix which has always worked out well for me. I had her boot in Safe Mode with Networking, download and run a current version and it cleaned the mess up. Then she ran MS Security Essentials. I haven't seen it for awhile but at one point I kept Combo Fix on my pocket zip drive I carry with a few other tools.

When booting in Safe Mode can't be done many versions run under hee.exe in the task manager (Processes) and by stopping the process one can normally have a shot at removal. Anyway I guess that virus is alive and doing well out there. There are other removal tools, I just happen to like Combo Fix. Following removal I also like to run a good registry cleaner like CCleaner (Crap Cleaner) to remove the pile of registry entries that Combo Fix may miss.

Ron

Ron

I got rid of the spyware disguised as anit-spyware by using a free version of MalewareBytes.

I got rid of the spyware disguised as anit-spyware by using a free version of MalewareBytes.

That's another really good one for this type virus that I failed to mention.

Ron

I still to this day do not know what got to my computer at work from the preview pane of the email and started deleting the system32 files.
We ended up reloading the OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back