Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New General Purpose Networking Protocol, I would love some feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A rather large number of the projects I have done require inter-device communications, and although there are quite a few excellent protocols out there, none of them are quite what I always seem to want.

So for quite a while now I have been working on and off on the Gazebo Protocol, an open source project with small code size, device discovery, self describing devices(devices can report to the master lots of structured information about themselves), remote function calls, arrays, nested arrays, enumerations,error reporting, and just generally way too many features. The whole project started as a DMX replacement but got outta hand fast :)

Everything is defined by a spec instead of a reference implementation, which was an important goal, and there are no "long lists of numbered data types" as in some protocols, the whole spec is 33 pages and allows users to define their own data interpretations with strings, like "M/s" or "V" or "Humidity" instead.

Not sure if this could ever actually be useful to anyone but I would love some feedback.
There is a reference library for python and an arduino reference sketch.
More info: **broken link removed**

Network protocols have Nothing to do with RPCs, array manipulation, or any other such language specific aspects. It IS to define a specific format for reliable, robust transfer of data without corruption and perhaps with redundant data based error correction. The protocol ensures the integrity of the "pipe" without having any concern over its' contents. Anybody blending past that is ill advised... L8R <<<)))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back