Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need to replace NC, 12 V DC relay... but with what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigfarmerdave

I have a NC relay that requires 12 V DC to operate the internal coil. When the contacts or poles on the relay are closed, there is a 3V DC load pulling about 50mA running across them. I would like to replace this relay with something less bulky. I was thinking about a transistor but I can't afford to have any voltage drop on the 3V DC line. Plus, are there any transistors that are normally closed and then "open" or quit conducting when power is applied to them? Would an opto-coupler work? Hey how about a little DIP package dry reed relay? Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

In relays, there are lots of choices. Automotive ones are available (McMaster Carr) that are SPDT and there are also Tyco brand (OEG) at DigiKey.com that are fairly cheap.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back