Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need Help Identifying an 8-bit Microcontroller with RF Transmitter for Drone Project

Asjad673

Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to electronics, ICs, and PCB design, and I'm currently working on a drone project. I've come across an integrated circuit (IC) that I believe could be perfect for my needs, but I'm having trouble finding detailed information about it.

The IC is an 8-bit microcontroller with a built-in RF transmitter, which I've learned is quite popular in remote controllers and toys. However, my searches for its datasheet or even its real name have come up empty so far. The IC has the following printed names on it: PAN186CV and RF250A.

From what I understand, identifying and sourcing specific ICs is crucial for ensuring the right fit for projects, especially for someone like me who is just starting out and eager to learn more about the components I'm working with.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help me identify this IC, point me to its datasheet, or share insights on its functionality and application. Additionally, if you could guide me to the right places or websites where I could source or unlock this IC, that would be incredibly helpful.

Thank you so much in advance for your time and assistance. I'm really excited to dive deeper into the world of electronics and make progress on my drone project with your support!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-02-17 at 7.15.47 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-02-17 at 7.15.47 PM.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 55
  • image_67225857.JPG
    image_67225857.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 56
  • 8DF770B7-EB4F-45BA-9850-3A499C1954F3 (1).jpg
    8DF770B7-EB4F-45BA-9850-3A499C1954F3 (1).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to electronics, ICs, and PCB design, and I'm currently working on a drone project. I've come across an integrated circuit (IC) that I believe could be perfect for my needs, but I'm having trouble finding detailed information about it.

The IC is an 8-bit microcontroller with a built-in RF transmitter, which I've learned is quite popular in remote controllers and toys. However, my searches for its datasheet or even its real name have come up empty so far. The IC has the following printed names on it: PAN186CV and RF250A.

From what I understand, identifying and sourcing specific ICs is crucial for ensuring the right fit for projects, especially for someone like me who is just starting out and eager to learn more about the components I'm working with.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help me identify this IC, point me to its datasheet, or share insights on its functionality and application. Additionally, if you could guide me to the right places or websites where I could source or unlock this IC, that would be incredibly helpful.

Thank you so much in advance for your time and assistance. I'm really excited to dive deeper into the world of electronics and make progress on my drone project with your support!
Hi A,
Welcome to the forum.

I'm also working on a drone project, it's taken me years, so be prepared.

I doubt your suggested IC, will have enough PINs for what you may need, so if you're going to need another IC, then I'm using an 18 series type.
Without more information, from you I can guess that if you start with 18F4620 and add an HC-12 radio, this will start you off.
Good luck.
C

Hi A,
Welcome to the forum.

I'm also working on a drone project, it's taken me years, so be prepared.

I doubt your suggested IC, will have enough PINs for what you may need, so if you're going to need another IC, then I'm using an 18 series type.
Without more information, from you I can guess that if you start with 18F4620 and add an HC-12 radio, this will start you off.
Good luck.
C
Hi there, sorry i think i need to elaborate a bit more in my post.
i need the IC for the remote controller not for the drone it self, the drone i try to make is mini nano drone with low functionalities, so basically I'm trying to replicate a drone toy, and they (and others) used the came IC in their remote controller.

Can you show the other side of the PCB, plus the antenna and whatever that connects to??

There is nothing in the photo that I can recognise as definitely an RF part?

For a short range toy, the actual "transmitter" could just be a transistor plus a few other components, with the microcontroller modulating that.

To be honest, for your own new project, you would be far, far better off using separate MCU IC and transmitter modules, or one of the many common modules with MCU + RF system built in.

For a short range toy, modules with Bluetooth would be fine. For longer range, ones with WiFi.

Example - an HC12 439 MHz RF module can be used with a PIC or Arduino etc. MCU; they are cheap and available worldwide:

The ESP32-Devkit-C - again, readily available and with lots of analog inputs you can connect joysticks to.

This has a very fast MCU module and both WiFi and Bluetooth all in the one module.
They can also be programmed using the Arduino IDE.

I'm using one in this controller just for the analog channels, plus an HC12 for the radio link:

IMG_1961.jpg

IMG_1962.jpg

Hi there, sorry i think i need to elaborate a bit more in my post.
i need the IC for the remote controller not for the drone it self, the drone i try to make is mini nano drone with low functionalities, so basically I'm trying to replicate a drone toy, and they (and others) used the came IC in their remote controller.
How would identifying the chip help?, you still wouldn't have the code for it - so (assuming you wanted to duplicate the transmitter) you may as well write code for a processor you can source, and hopefully are experienced with.

As rjenkinsgb said, it's VERY likely that the 'transmitter' is just a crude single transistor oscillator keyed by the controller, and nothing to do with the chip at all. The only 'chip RF transmitters' I know of were the MicroChip rfPIC series - and they were complicated to use, both in hardware (it wasn't just the chip, there were lot's of external inductors etc.) and software. They seem to have long since vanished?, and never had much success.

Can you show the other side of the PCB, plus the antenna and whatever that connects to??

There is nothing in the photo that I can recognise as definitely an RF part?

For a short range toy, the actual "transmitter" could just be a transistor plus a few other components, with the microcontroller modulating that.

To be honest, for your own new project, you would be far, far better off using separate MCU IC and transmitter modules, or one of the many common modules with MCU + RF system built in.

For a short range toy, modules with Bluetooth would be fine. For longer range, ones with WiFi.

Example - an HC12 439 MHz RF module can be used with a PIC or Arduino etc. MCU; they are cheap and available worldwide:

The ESP32-Devkit-C - again, readily available and with lots of analog inputs you can connect joysticks to.

This has a very fast MCU module and both WiFi and Bluetooth all in the one module.
They can also be programmed using the Arduino IDE.

I'm using one in this controller just for the analog channels, plus an HC12 for the radio link:

View attachment 144708

View attachment 144709
thank you for the replay it will help for sure later in my project, i have attached more photos of the back side.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-02-29 at 4.37.53 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-02-29 at 4.37.53 PM.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 46
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-02-29 at 4.37.56 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-02-29 at 4.37.56 PM.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 48
How would identifying the chip help?, you still wouldn't have the code for it - so (assuming you wanted to duplicate the transmitter) you may as well write code for a processor you can source, and hopefully are experienced with.

As rjenkinsgb said, it's VERY likely that the 'transmitter' is just a crude single transistor oscillator keyed by the controller, and nothing to do with the chip at all. The only 'chip RF transmitters' I know of were the MicroChip rfPIC series - and they were complicated to use, both in hardware (it wasn't just the chip, there were lot's of external inductors etc.) and software. They seem to have long since vanished?, and never had much success.
actually i was going for a trip to China very soon and i thought to source the chip from there, since it was quite common (or i thought so), please check my reply to him i have attached more photo in case that will help, and thank you.

actually i was going for a trip to China very soon and i thought to source the chip from there, since it was quite common (or i thought so), please check my reply to him i have attached more photo in case that will help, and thank you.
If you could source the chip, then it would likely be blank - and you would need to write the code, and source a programmer and compiler etc. in order to do so. I doubt VERY much it's an off the shelf ready programmed component.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back