Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with schematics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arya Dhani

First of all let me tell you that I have next to zero knowledge about electronics. I am a newly retired accounting/finance man and I am trying to make something electronic so I really need your help with these question to begin with:
  1. I just purchased a home-made strobo light device that uses a xenon bulb that will flash repeatedly after you push the "on" button.
  2. The device uses a couple of high capacity capacitors.
  3. I want to replace the xenon bulb with a coil inductor (am I using the correct term?) that will produce powerful magnetic pulse (almost like the one in a coil gun, but I am not making a coil gun)
  4. The magnetic pulse will be time variant. It will pulse only when you push a switch - I am thinking of a "reset switch button?"
  5. I was told that if I just replace the xenon bulb with an inductor coil it will get overheated because the current needs to be dissipated (such as going to the xenon bulb).
  6. Can I install an indicator light that will indicate when the capacitors are full and so ready to discharge? Something like a "ready" button on a camera flash.
Please help. Anyone. Your help is really appreciated.

Connecting the coil in series with the flash tube would work as the flash tube works a bit like an SCR. If you just connect the coin in place of the flash tube then the capacitors will never charge up. There will be a third connection to the flash tube which is probably just some thin wire wrapped around the outside. This will be connected to a trigger coil which generates a pulse of a few thousand volts which initiates the ionization of the xenon gas in the tube. To do the other changes you will need to post the schematic of the unit as it is at the moment.

Les.

My apologies. As I stated in my original question, I have almost zero knowledge about electronics, and the strobo light that I purchased was home made and does not have a schematic. But as per your information above, can I then go ahead and replace the flash tube with an SCR? If it can be done, could you explain how to do it? Much appreciated.

If you can not trace out the schematic of your original strobe I can't tell you how to modify it. Also with so little knowledge of electronics I don't think you should be playing around with an item that uses high voltages that can be lethal. There will be about 300 volts on the capacitor bank.

Les.

Hello Les,
I want to thank you for your time anyway. I do have enough basic knowledge about electricity and electromechanical devices, and I do know how to wire a house. But I think it is different from microcurrent electronics with all the different components and schematics and the PCB and all of that. I thought this forum or website was the place for me to get help. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back