Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NE-1H Grain of wheat neon bulbs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dratomic

Hello,
I just got my hands on a bunch of NE-1H Subminiature
neon lamps and was wondering if anyone had a datasheet
for them. I have about 1600 of them and would like to find
a use for them.

Dr. Atomic

There's nothing to need a datasheet for!.

They are neon bulbs, you feed them off a high voltage source through a current limiting resistor (bit like an LED in some ways?), the neons themselves take around 70-90V to strike.

220K resistor in series with neon, across 240V mains - simple dial light.

You can also make a simple oscillator, add a capacitor across the neon!.

As for 1600 of them?.

I once read a website where students took small neon bulbs, and suspended them in a gelatine mixture

placing the neon jello in a kitchen microwave, they were able to visualize the standing waves, as the bulbs would ionize when passing through the waves, as the container rotated on the turn table.

i'll try to track down the web link - that might be a fun use for a handfulls of your bulbs.

justDIY said:
I once read a website where students took small neon bulbs, and suspended them in a gelatine mixture

placing the neon jello in a kitchen microwave, they were able to visualize the standing waves, as the bulbs would ionize when passing through the waves, as the container rotated on the turn table.

i'll try to track down the web link - that might be a fun use for a handfulls of your bulbs.

You can buy microwave testers for service use, they consist of four or five neons encased in a plastic block - it gives a visual indication that microwaves are being generated, and also gives a simple indication of the radiation pattern. However, it's important to only use it for a few seconds - or you get dead neons :lol:

How about a sequencer?

http://circuitos.tripod.cl/schem/r48.gif
http://www.techlib.com/science/quench.htm

**broken link removed**

Flashing Neons (NE-2 / NE-51)

In this circuit, one, two or three neon indicator bulbs can be made to flash in sequence at rates determined by the R and C values. In the single stage circuit, using one lamp, the capacitor charges through the resistor until the ionization potential of the neon is reached (about 70 volts) and then discharges quickly through the lamp until the voltage falls below what is needed to sustain the lamp which is approximately 45 volts. The cycle then repeats at a rate of about 3 Hz for values shown. Smaller R or C values increase frequency, larger values decrease frequency. All capacitors should be the non-polarized variety with a 100 volt or more rating. For more than 3 stages, the lamps may need to be matched for similar turn-on voltages.
**broken link removed**

12 Stage Neon Sequencer (NE-2 / NE-51)

This circuit is similar to the LED clock using 12 neon indicator lamps instead of LEDs. It operates from 2 high capacity ni-cad cells (2.5 volts) which keep it going for a couple weeks. High voltage (70 volts) for the neon lamps is obtained from a small switching power supply using a 74HC14 Schmitt trigger squarewave oscillator, high voltage switching transistor, and 10 mH high Q inductor. Most any small PNP transistors can be used that have a C/E voltage rating of 80 or more. The inverter stage (pins 5,6) is not needed and is just an extra stage. An adjustable low frequency oscillator made from two of the inverter stages generates the clock signal for the 74HCT393 binary counter. In this circuit, the timing capacitor should be non-polarized since the capacitor will charge in both directions, so two 6.8 uF tantalum caps were used back to back which yields about 3.3 uF. The 75K resistor in series with pin 1 limits the current through the input protection diodes when the capacitor voltage exceeds the supply voltage. This resistor may not be necessary with small capacitors at low voltage but was added as a precaution. The binary counts are decoded into 1 of 12 outputs by the 74HCT138 decoders and operates the same way as in the 28 LED clock circuit. The sequence can be extended to 16 by omitting the reset circuit and tying pins 2 and 13 of the counter to ground.
**broken link removed**

Attachments

• sequence_mod.gif
    sequence_mod.gif
    20.3 KB · Views: 636
Well guess what?

I figured out I don't need 1000 + of these buggers.
Anyone interested?

NE-1h Grain of wheat neon lamps

I paid $.10 each so I'm selling them at cost. They're light
so shipping is minimal.

Dr. Atomic

Would you trade some for some 2N3055 Transistors?
Maybe 10 Transistor for 100 bulbs

hotwaterwizard said:
Would you trade some for some 2N3055 Transistors?
Maybe 10 Transistor for 100 bulbs
If you're still interested in trading the 2n3055's contact me. I've
been offline taking care of my wife who was diagnosed with cancer in
May. So I'm just geetting back into the swing of things. I have a lot
of Items available besides the bulbs and I've been databasing them
at https://groups.yahoo.com/group/YoungScientistsClub.

tom muleady said:
ive seen bulbs alot cheeper at ham swapmeets 1 penny a piece oreven 25 fer a dollar
Good luck finding any decent swapmeet's these days. Even
the Dayton Hamvention has become a joke with it's shrinking
attendance and participation. I used to love going there and
sitting in my booth or searching for goodies. Now I have literally
a warehouse full of stuff and nowhere to get rid of the stuff.

yes I understand .There are ham swapmeets every sat morning,here in so calif,and a lot of hams live here.we're here in LA most meets are within 1or 2 hour drive of LAX.
and yes Ihave 2 rooms full of stuff.I just talked to a friend who got a mint cond ft2800 for 100.00 and a astron 500wt for 45.00, let me know what youre lookin for I very well mite have stuff for your needs .73 Tom NE6AO

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back