Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MPLAB X is driving me insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pommie

Most Helpful Member
MPLAB X is the worst written software I have ever used. I seem to be constantly resetting it to get things to work. Some of the bugs I've come across are,
I needed to look at an array in excel and so I exported it. After a couple of times exporting it I noticed that the data wasn't changing. MPLAB wasn't writing the file as the file was in use. This is simply the programmer(?) not checking for error conditions.
In my current project MPLAB has decided that SSP1IF is not in PIR1bits.
Maybe someone can try this,
Start a new project using an 18F2620 and put the following in a main file,
Code:
#include <pic18.h>

int main(int argc, char** argv) {
    while(PIR1bits.SSP1IF);
}
on my machine this won't compile even though if you type PIR1bits. and wait it shows SSP1IF as a member.

The annoying thing is this project was compiling fine until I changed one thing in my I2C file and now it won't compile. I have no idea what I changed to cause this. So I would appreciate someone trying this and reporting back.

Thanks,

Mike.

Hi Mike!!

You're not alone.... I have Ver8 and I'm not moving unless I really really have to..

We had exactly the same issue if you "Control click" the on the identifier "PIR1bits" the completely wrong header opened... It was incorrectly specified on the properties page... Once you set it right you need a restart..

I had an issue the other day which was purely down to the editor... The dreaded red wobbly underscore would not go away... I copied and pasted the section of code and rem'd out the line.... Tada it worked..

Proteus ISIS has always reported incorrect bytes when files are compiled under MPLABX... Its funny because the same compiler is being used....

I'm with you.... It's extremely buggy.

Sorry for the newby question but where is the properties page?

Edit, found the properties page but can't see any reference to include files!

I found a work around by including pic18f2620 in the file and changing SSP1IF to (the incorrect) SSPIF.

Thanks,

Mike.

Last edited:
First.. to check if the right header is being used... In your source code type a header specific line.
Control Select.jpg
Control click to open the definition.
header.jpg
You can see if the correct header is loaded.
The device is listed in the navigator window.

Capture.jpg
Lastly to get to the properties. Right click on the project.
load prop.jpg
Then the menu appears... The properties is at the bottom as normal.
prop.jpg

Good luck

Hi Ian,

I found the properties page but can't see any reference to include files!

Thanks,

Mike.

^^^ you see why I love ETO..

Solid backup and help for people that request it. Pommie has been here a while...he got stuck. And asked for help.

Ian immediately sprang to help.

Is that not cool or what?? Other Forums out there would have had major discussions about a Members question....and then many wrong answers and all...

And every one is trying outsmart each other :D:D. Think about it :)

Our little place here is so very special... No Member here ever tries to outsmart another Member...

If I ever got stuck on a CRT TV for example..and request Nigels help....he will be there for me. Share his knowledge with me. And not brag about it.

All he will do is talk about what he found in a similar situation, what he did to rectify it...and that is that. If he has not had that specific fault/problem...he will not guess....

OK, here it comes: ETO has the finest and most tuned and accurate info EVER. But, WE know that...the others are still trying to work it out...

Love it :p:p:D

In fact, we have some of the very best of best here....Alec t comes to mind. So does steveB.

They are not here to prove cleverness....they are here cause they like us. We all get along.

Small Forum, nice people.

Hows that :)

tvtech

It doesn't list the header... You can check if MPLABX has selected the correct header for the device... The device is listed in the navigation AND properties.... I have seen times where the both selections are different...

It claims it cannot find my include file but the file is in the working directory. I am going back to 8.x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back