Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mini 1.5V Booster!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krumlink

After studying Transformers for hours, I found a simple circuit used for increasing power to a LED from a 1.2 to 1.5 Volt battery, because the LED you are using may require 2.0 to 3.0 Volts. This circuit uses parts that every hobbyist should have. If you dont have these parts, you may want to find a new career path :D

The circuit is extremely basic, using only 1 capacitor, 1 resistor, 1 LED, and 1 NPN 2222A transistor. It also requires 1.2V to 1.5V input (a AA battery or button cell). It is a very easy circuit, fun for anybody starting electronics. It is based off a inductor, or ferromagnetic core (in my case, a bolt). It MUST be magnetic, or it would do nothing except look like a coil of wire around a bolt. Mine happened to fit perfectly into a small AA battery holder, making it very compact and super sweet looking.

Parts required:
1x 0.1uf capacitor
1x 1k resistor
1x red LED
1x NPN PN2222A Transistor
1.2-1.5 Volt Battery
Some thin insulation wire (24 gauge with thin insulation wire, such as Cat5e wire)
A Bolt slightly shorter than a AA battery (if you want it to fit inside a AA battery holder)
Electricians tape

Tools Required
Soldering Iron
Wire cutter/stripper
Solder
Nippy cutters
Dremel (for cutting the hole in the case, my T13/4 LED fit perfectly snug in the case screw holder)
Pliers

STEP 1. Take the Transistor and Bend the Emitter and Collector 90 degrees to opposide sides (facing away from the Base). Take the LED and push the Leads together so they are close but not touching eachother. Then insert the Transistor between the leads (cathode to emitter and anode to collector) and push all the way through so it is almost laying on the transistor's labeled side. Solder and clip the LED leads.

STEP 2. Spread the capacitor's leads apart and put the resistor inbetween them so the resistor is in parallel with the capacitor. Make sure they are as close to eachother as possible. Clip the capacitor's leads and solder one side to the base. Make sure you have everything as compact as possible.

STEP 3. Take your bolt and some long wire and start wrapping it tightly around the bolt. Make sure it is uniform and neat, and it will look good. Have it end at the other side of the bolt (like a electromagnet nail). Take the other wire and wrap that round the wire and bolt too. End it on the opposide side you started. Solder 2 different sides together, and solder one of the remaining 2 sides to the capacitor resistor, and the other to the collector of the transistor.

**broken link removed**

The above image is the circuit when finished. I substituted the 2700pf cap with a 0.1uf cap, but you can use anything within 0.1uf to 1000pf capacitor.

finish the circuit and you are done!

Mine works excellent and it looks awesome. Hope you have luck with yours.
If you want to have fun with your circuit, change around the capacitance of the cap on it. I am going to make a solar powered flasher next and post it in the projects forum :D

Here is the website just in case you want to look at it :D
http://www.cappels.org/dproj/ledpage/leddrv.htm#Rusty_Nail_Night_Light

NOTE: I will post pictures later today/tomorrow.

Last edited:
Yeah, this is the 'Joule-Thief' circuit, should have just posted the link, just incase you left something out or misquoted something.

I will post the link in the edit. I can make one of these in like 2 minutes xD

So has anybody had any progress on their own Mini Volt Booster?

If so post pictures! i wana see these things!

The circuit with a real ferrite core in the inductor works much better than the circuit with a rusty nail.

I bet it would.

I used a very magnetic bolt that worked well.

I am going to pry apart some transformers and grab their magnetic magicness out of them.

I was messing around with magnetic inductor designs, and I came up with a few wierd ones that worked suprisingly. It was a peice of magnetic rector set beam that had the wire weaved through it. Works pretty good.

Take apart a few old keyboards or monitor's with longish cables, they usually have RF chokes on them, they make pretty good cores for inductors.

krumlink said:
NOTE: I will post pictures later today/tomorrow.

Ok, so today is yesterday's tomorrow, now where are the pictures? :p

Why not move it into the Ideas projects and review spot instead of **** Chat?

Here are the pictures:
The LED was so bright it messed up my camera's automatic brightness adjuster. It is a 2000mcd white LED.

1523: The inductor coil in background, with circuitry in forefront.

1521: The finished product, the LED was on but was so bright I had to take out battery to make sure it diddnt damage the camera

1525: Another picture

It works really great, and it has a project spot on my website.

Attachments

• 100_1523.jpg
    100_1523.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 837
  • 100_1521.jpg
    100_1521.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 580
  • 100_1525.jpg
    100_1525.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 582
I don't see your inductor.
My solar garden light has an inductor the size and shape of a little electrolytic capacitor. It is about 5mm long by 3mm in diameter.

Attachments

• solar garden light mine.PNG
    solar garden light mine.PNG
    3.5 KB · Views: 1,171
It is the black thing in the background. It is homemade and tightly wrapped. It looks really good. if you look to the left of the capacitor, you can see the red and white wires of it.

Yeah, I should Do that. Most of them need repair, but I can mod the pictures a bit and get them on the site soon :)

Other than experimentation and education, that little blue-boxed flashlight (torch for your Brits), seems to have minimal purpose. You can buy an Aurora 1.5w Nichia led flashlight w/ collimated lens, aircraft grade body and it all runs on 2 AA batteries for well under $15 US. It projects a concentrated beam of virtual white light well beyond a hundred feet and is blinding to anyone on the receiving end of it.

BTW, that doesn't look like a flooring nail in the top photo... it's more like a masonry nail used in brick/block mortar.

torch for your Brits
Hee, hee.
A torch has fire. A flashlight is a little portable electric light.
A big difference. About 300 years of difference.

I am not a Brit!
A truck is not a lorry.
A friend is not a mate.
The hood of a car is not its bonnet.
We don't drive on the wrong side of the road in Canada.

The Americans are also weird.

audioguru said:
I am not a Brit!
A truck is not a lorry.
A friend is not a mate.
The hood of a car is not its bonnet.
We don't drive on the wrong side of the road in Canada.

The Americans are also weird.

You mean like the Canadians? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back